Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-03-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
I heard a rumor today that ski beach is closed off. They laid rock all down the beach, something like three to four feet tall. I heard you can't even get close to the beach at all, is this true?
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-03-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
umm idk do you mean ski beach in stockton or in disco?? I still have no clue but im gonna try to find out tonite.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-03-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
Well that is one way to stop the drinking and partying there. Unfortunately they will just move the party else where. I can remember the beach being cleaned up then a week later it was trashed again. What is with people? Do they like living in filth? Maybe they are from the city and do not feel at home without garbage strewn around.

I am not against partying, and have hung out at ski beach myself numerous times, but I am not for drinking and driving. Especially when we are talking about navigating narrow channels with downed riders/skiers/tubers in the middle.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-03-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
YAY!!!

i hope so cause that means they can drink there A$$e$ off and then try to pull there boats out..

this is just my thoughts on it but they give the delta a bad name... its cool to stop off there but going there every weekend is a little too much for me. i mean if you go out on your boat RIDE! drink at night get off the water
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-03-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
I heard the beach at disco???
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-03-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
I hope its true.
Old    walt            04-03-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
It would be a good thing if it is closed.

Arun,
Speaking of drinking...I have some Pacifico with your name on it.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-03-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
I don't think it would be the Stockton beach do to it be a private owned island.
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-03-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
I'm not sure if you are talking about the ski beach in Stockton? But we rode by there yesterday and there was no rock. The tide was so high in the morning that the beach was under water, but late in the afternoon we went by there again and it looked normal.
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-03-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
i heard the same thing i was waiting to see if anyone had actually seen it or had some pictures
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-03-2006, 9:53 PM Reply   
Walt, I prefer soda pop. Thanks for nothing : )

Twins slounghs will be rideable again if they close ski beach... CLOSE SKI BEACH!!! Please.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-03-2006, 11:26 PM Reply   
if they close ski beach they'll just go elsewhere...and they'll still probably use twins to get there since its right next to disco.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-03-2006, 11:38 PM Reply   
This SKi Beach?

Upload
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-04-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
That'd be the one. . .

I'm all for having a good time but the beach has gone down hill. Many people have tried cleaning / picking up to no avail, it get's worse every year... It wouldn't suprise me if the rock'D it up ~ cool with me just means sunset just became alot safer to ride this summer.

Lzy
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-04-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
hell ya im glad everyone else thinks like me
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
yeah, keep the muscle headed drug fiends outa the delta.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       04-04-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
It looks like there will be a lot of Parks set up for sale in cen cal!!! What are they goin to do with all of the boards that they put in the racks if they can go to ski beach?!?!?! How are ppl goin to see them?!?!?! You can only drive around town with the boards in the racks for so long!!!! Close ski beach thats the best thing to happen to the delta in years!!!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-04-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
Geez, that's a shame, I'm going to miss those guys cruising back home to Orwoods on Indian slew at 2 in the morning blasting Ledzep.

On a positive note it should save SoCal some Chlorine costs at their "water treatment" plant.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-04-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
this rumor has been floatin around for a few months and the last time i was out, about a week and a half ago the beach was clear or any rocks. to be honest i like partyin at the beach on the weekends. its a nice break and time to let loose out on the water. unfortunately there are quite a few idiots that party there but i enjoy watching them. i also live in disco and can ride everyday so the weekends arent really worth tryin to fight the crowd for me.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-04-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
hahahahahah hella ya brandon lots and lots of parks setups are going on sale soon!!!
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       04-04-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
it was fun until the last time I was there. The beach was goin off...I was third row back, face out, with an anchor. People were having a good time then people started to fight. We're talk heavy weight boys. They all started to fight. These boys were huge and made the ordinary 5'9 guy look small. fists were flyin, people were screamin, then bam.... You see this dude literally fly up and backwards. He falls and is out cold. I thought they killed the guy. People were yelling. The huge guys were all pumped up, pissed off, and runnin around screamin, " I will take anyone on this beach right now"........

We cut out as quickly as we could....but it was pretty scary.

(Message edited by zride on April 04, 2006)
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-04-2006, 10:46 PM Reply   
Steroids!
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-05-2006, 1:11 AM Reply   
Hey, I'll admit there is a time and place for everything, even though I haven’t set foot on that island in 15 years. That’s not because I don’t like what goes on there. I just prefer to spend every minute I can behind the boat.

Actually, I'd prefer the serious partiers be in one local and for that matter the sheriffs in the same local. I bend the rules as I’m sure a lot of us do.

What would happen if they really closed the beach? I think they would just find another spot. So be it. Every one is entitled to have fun. It's only when their perception of fun limits us/you/me on our ability to enjoy the beautiful place that is the Delta.

So, I guess, be careful what you wish for. You may end up waiting forever for a bacon burger at the Point or worse a floatilla drifting down your favorite slough.

The Delta is not mine. It is not yours. The Delta is for every one. You never know we may need the Guido’s to help in the battle that is sure to come. Some people would rather not see any of us out there at all.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-05-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
Actually Ski Beach figured heavily in our argument with Contra Costa County over our right to stay on Golden Isle (end of Victoria). Our argument was our Island could easily become a bigger equivalent of Ski Beach and the intersection there be just as crazy (as we maintain the 5 mph buoys at the turn). Guess what, the supervisors could care less as none of them are boaters!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-05-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
That's too bad, Rich. That is absolutely correct. That island would turn into a huge party spot if left un-inhabited.

I totally agree with Isaac. I'm a lover, not a fighter and the last time I was at ski beach there were some really in-appropriate things said to my girlfriend that pissed me off. We chose to just split, but not before it really angered me. I just can't stand the guys that go out there looking for a fight. I'm really not that into the drunken bimbos these days either. I'd much rather just be riding.

It's funny though, because what Derby said is true. I'd rather them just hang out there. When I'm out with my friends we'll go tie up elsewhere. They can have that island as far as I'm concerned. At least the riding usually isn't all that great around there on weekends anyway, plus it keeps the cops near the beach so they leave us alone.
Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-07-2006, 12:10 AM Reply   
Good riddance ski beach! Although it can be a fun spot to chill, all of the meatheads really do put a damper on it. Add to that all of the excess drinking/driving it causes and its just not worth it.

It will be interesting to see where they take the party this summer.
Old    chriscut            04-07-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
I've never been on a ski beach and i've put 400 engine hrs in a year and a half (95% on the delta) with a friend of mine. Boats are for wakeskating.. or wakeboarding if you're into that. If you see us we're either riding, or stopped to change riders. Why would we want to waste a chance to ride?
Old    jetgofish            04-07-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'm with Chris ... why waste the time to go drink at the beach when there is good water to be had else where. I've not been to ski beach by Disco in 2 years ... not worth my effort really. This past summer they had the first annual Ski Beach Bikini Contest ... what the hell was that all about? Yeah let's just make things a bigger drunken mess!

As far as I know the rumors of rocks being dumped on the beach is false. Even if they did dump rocks on the beach the first place every one would move to is Suicide Beach on the West end of Railroad just South of the Bridge on the Indian Slough side. The drinkers planted themseleves there after the levee broke a year or so back, what a mess. This is more of a dangerous place because of the blind corner and the large yatchs and off shore races blowing through there.

I'm in full agreement with Rich ... don't tear down the houses on the island, this will make Vic's a drunken 405 mess! Rich, what type of support can fellow WW's and local residents provide you in your fight to keep the island???
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-07-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
We are in court with the County currently. There is information about our lawsuit and it's basis here:

http://www.ggwsc.org/

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the links to get the background on it all.

As usual it all comes down to money. We need around 200K to take it to the Calif Supreme court but we have collected about 56K so far. Donations are tax deductible since we are a non-profit organization. Our case has major ramifications as to what the county and even the State can do to private property owners in the Delta.

Things like Ski Beach only give the politicians and special interests more ammunition in their quest to turn the Delta strictly into a water supply for SoCal and trust me boating doesn't fit into their plans!

(Message edited by richd on April 07, 2006)
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       04-08-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
That's something that every one should be aware of,

"boating does not fit into their plans"

SoCal politicians have been trying to eliminate boating in their water supply for years. They have even talked of moving the Delta completely to assure their water keeps coming. They have fairly arrogant plans in store for the Delta since they have no plans for reclamation or de-salinization of their own water. It's just easier to sign some papers, get rid of the boaters, and turn the pumps on (the boaters cause too many law enforcement problems any ways).

Respect the Delta while you're having fun, it might make a difference down the road.