Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-24-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
a question for those guys running v8 inboards using a carb intake.

For me it takes a few cranks to get it going whern cold, and sometimes requires a little bit of a fast idle to start when warm.

ir runs and idles fine, no issues there, maybe Im just not used to carb engines.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-24-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
My old nautique would start just as quick as fuel injection except for when the carb was in bad shape and I rebuilt it.

Check your choke, it should be closed for 1 minute and then open completely (if I remember correctly). A carb in good shape will be practically run as good as fuel injection in my opinion, they just need more TLC.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
You are setting the choke, right?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-24-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Mine starts right up. I usually pump the throttle a couple of times to get fuel in the carb and then off it goes.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-24-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
I dont know where the choke would be. I have a morse MV2 control. I pull out the drive disconnect so I can give it fast idle, and pump it about 3-4 times then start it.

Would a low battery cause it to take awhile to start too? I have no idea how old my battery is, but when it cranks it doesn't sound like its turning over the engine very fast.

Then again this is all new to me, so I don't have any experience with inboards.

Upload
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
It's mounted to the carb. Like jon said, stroke the throttle once or twice is all you need.

The choke is a by-metallic spring that closes a plate over the opening of the carb for cold engine starts. It increases the vacuum in the carb so it pulls more fuel. As the spring heats up, it relaxes and allows the plate to return to its open position. You should also notice a higher idle speed with the choke set when starting cold .
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-24-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Mine takes a few cranks the first time out of the year then it fires right up every time after and its an 86.

(Message edited by Ironcross25 on June 24, 2008)
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-24-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
here is one
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RN0067-1

there is a spring that when it cools down, it closes the flap over the intake. turn the key and it starts heating up. after a certain time it will open. time it and loosen the screw and twist the cover to adjust the time. it should open the flap in 1 minute as the spring heats up
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-24-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
cold: couple throttle pumps on 1st crank, then fires on 2nd crank.
warm: fires immediately.
Old     (seankey)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-24-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
I am having a similar problem with my boat. It actually starts fine when cold, but it takes way too long to start when warm. It starts right up if I shut it off for just a few seconds, but if I let it sit for 5-10 minutes or longer it takes probably 10 cranks for it to start sometimes. I just replaced the plugs, and it didn't seem to help much. I am thinking either carb rebuild, or new cap and rotor. Any suggestions anyone?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
Sean,

Choke sticking partially closed or leaking fuel in to bowl caused by bad needle/seat or float, or vapor lock.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-24-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
sean, it may be vapor locked. this is when the fuel in the lines turns to vapor due to the heat in the engine compartment and makes it hard to start. I don't know how to fix, but I am sure there are a lot of posts either here or tmcowners.com

tigemike beat me to it

(Message edited by 1boarder_kevin on June 24, 2008)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
A leaking needle & seat or a leaking fuel pump will allow the pressure in the fuel line to drop. When fuel is under pressure, the boiling point is higher, just like coolant in the radiator, when the pressure drops, the fuel will boil.

To make our car engines run cleaner, we needed to make them run hotter, so vapor lock became a problem and fuel injection was the best answer.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-24-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
If youre not already aware, most chokes require that you set them by pumping the throttle to WOT before cranking it over. This action closes the choke and it will stay closed until the engine gradually warms up. I set the choke once before every turn of the key when the motor is cold. If it dosnt start on the first try, set the choke once again before you crank it.
Old     (seankey)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
Well, I appreciate the help guys. I guess I will check the choke first, and if that doesn't fix it, I will take the carb off and have it rebuilt.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
Matt:

A low battery will definitely effect your start. Give it a nice charge and see.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-25-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Mine starts first crank, everytime (except maybe 1st start/season). IMO, you shouldn't need to pump the throttle either. Last time I gave it a couple pumps it flooded.

Sean, also check your timing. Warm start issues can also be timing related.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
our '89 351 starts every time within a second or two if its cold, right away if its warm.
Old     (wake2wake103)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-25-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
Same as Dan's on our 351. Ours could probably go for a carb rebuild though.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-25-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
My 84 carbed PCM was always a hard starter until I rebuilt the carb and installed the points eliminator kit. After that one pump when it was cold then it started better than my last two EFI boats. Used to see if I could bump the starter without it starting. Most of the time I couldn't...
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-25-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Ours starts right up unless it has been sitting for a while. Can be hard to start then... A few pumps on the throttle will usually get it going though.
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-25-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
mine starts quick everytime , theres a trick though, do the same thing just pump the throttle in reverse, sounds stupid, but it works, used to pump throttle forward and would have to bring a jump pack to the ramp i was cranking it so long it would drain the battery now i pump in reverse and it fires right up, did it in 10 seconds after sitting all winter with unstabilized fuel. worth a try before you go rebuilding your carb
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-26-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
both of mine start easily with one or two pumps...sometimes more pumping if it's been sitting for a while...
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-27-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
For mine, 2 pumps in reverse, and it starts right away every time, until I just jinxed myself.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-27-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Matt and all - I have an 87 Supra Sunsport. I just replaced the battery and the sluggish start is totally gone. It turns over with ease and has plenty of starting power.

With that said, the carb is still touchy. It needs to be pumped to start about half of the time. When it is cold it need a large pumping them it needs to be run at wide open (while prop is disengaged) for a few minutes to warm up or else it will die when I try to put in gear.

I'm thinking I will try and make sure the fuel level is accurate before I have it rebuilt.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-27-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Sounds like a typical carburetor to me.

I suspect that most of the people here are too young to have ever owned a car that had a carburetor. Modern fuel injection is a wonderful thing, just turn the key and it starts. It didn't used to be that way....

Rod