Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-16-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
i've got a 2004 moomba mobius LSV and it came w/ tower speakers, the speakers they use are the Mako's that come with the mb quart speakers, my question is, is there anyway to change out the speakers w/ some really sweet ones that are better rated and keep the enclosure?
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
You can upgrade the Mako from the standard MB Quart Discus series to the Reference RCE-216 or the Premium PCE-216. The MB Quart grills fit perfectly.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2004, 7:04 AM Reply   
can i install that myself? how do i get the grills off?

and if i can the after market speakers come with an adapter that i should be able to use to put a new grill on, im thinking of putting in the Polk Momo's 80watt RMS!!!
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-17-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
Yep..its not a problem..it may require some drilling of different holes to mount the new speaker, but thats it..

We use the Alpines in 90% of our upgraded stereo systems here..

McFly
Mako
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-17-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
Do a serious upgrade and step up to the RCE216's, I have the RKC116's and these things are super loud, crisp and clean... the RCE's are an upgrade from the RKC's (which are no longer available). The Discuss and the Reference series use different size grills (the ref's are bigger) so if they are flush now with the Discus they won't be with the Ref's.

Plus they are MB Quarts... Hearing is believing!
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
80% of the Mako 2 and 4 Speaker Light Combo systems that we sell are upgraded to either MB Quart Reference or Premium. Most people are willing to spend a little more to get great sound.

You can buy the MB Quart RCE-216 or PCE-216 speakers from sounddomain.com or uscaraudio.com at a discounted price if you want to do the upgrade on your own.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
so i should just be able to pop off the grilles, and easily install them just like the interior speakers huh, that is sweet!
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2004, 9:49 PM Reply   
Interesting - changing out the MB's for "the Alpines" as ez e put it. I would make sure you listen to the MB's before you nuke them - unless of course you are putting Focals in ;-)
Old     (wakeside1)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2004, 11:58 PM Reply   
If you wanted to go all out, then I would try the Image Dynamics Chameleon Separates. Their 6 1/2 inch CSX64 can have the tweeters mounting in the center just like the MB Quart. I think you can use your MB Quart grills. These component speakers handle 150 watts RMS all day long and put out 91dB sensitivity from 45Hz to 25kHz.

These speakers sell for about $350 a pair and are similar in sound quality to the the MB Quart Q Series QSD-216 that sells for around a $650 pair.

We have two sets of the CSX64 in our boat and two sets on the tower along with an IDMAX sub and over 3,000 watts of Kicker amps on our Wakeside Demo boat.

We plan on offering the Image Dynamics components and subs this summer and we wanted to test them on our own boat to prove the concept. They sound incredible! The next step for us is a compression horn (HLCD) with two sets of 8 inch mid bass drivers.

The 6 1/2 inch CDX64's will bolt right into the Mako cans and I'm quite sure that your existing grills will work. $350 a pair is a bit steep and $700 for two sets hurts a bit, but I haven't seen anything that compares with the value for this level of sound quality.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-18-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
We order most of our Mako Products without the speakers installed. Many of our customers perfer the Alpines because of the cost and the sound quality.

We use them here (Supra & Moomba), Waterski America uses a lot of the same Alpine Speaker (Malibu), as well as Buxton Marine (Correct Craft).

McFly
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-18-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
yeah, i only need 1 pair, the mb quarts do sound good especially since im running a better amp now then the one the dealer gave me.

i'll look into them.