Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ryoder)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-18-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
I am escaping the cold midwest weather and headed down to Florida to ride for awhile to get ready for summer.. Just booked my tickets with Airtran. Has anyone flown with them when traveling with your wakeboard? I checked their website and of course they didnt have anything about wakeboards, just surfboards and snowboards. Let me know what you had to pay, or how you talked them into not charging you extra Thanks!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
I don't have experience with Airtran, but from experience with other airlines the following seem to help get you by without having to pay extra crazy fees.
*Online/curbside checkin
*If they ask say they are waterskis (unless you have a bag that's disguised as a golf bag...then say they are clubs).
Old     (ryoder)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-18-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
Thanks! Anybody got any other suggestions?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-18-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
Philly to Orlando they measured my board bag.....$75 extra fee
Orlando to Philly.......did not measure the bag.......$95 extra fee!

I could not get anywhere with the ladies at the counter either time, but I called the airline after my trip. I found out they only charge $20 extra for golf clubs (which is a larger bag) so I demanded money back and they gave me a refund.

My suggestion to you is buy a board bag that says "golf" on it and tell them you have clubs.

BTW, I'll never fly Airtran again........greedy bastages!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-18-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoder View Post
Thanks! Anybody got any other suggestions?

Hope they already adopted Southwest's policies. Like others said, curb check, keep it under 50lbs. I have never said skis, always board, but really never been asked.
Old     (onepoorpilot)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-19-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
I am a pilot for Frontier and we do not charge for sports equipment. should have taken us down...

Our largest base is in Denver, so we promote the "sports equipment flies free" during ski season.

Last edited by onepoorpilot; 02-19-2011 at 9:48 AM. Reason: error
Old     (Robby_Jacques)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-22-2011, 5:56 AM Reply   
I used to fly Airtran a more than fair amount, and I had, for the longest time, said that I had "waterski equipment". In all of my travels I have only had to pay once using this strategy. However, about a year ago, when Slingshot got me a "golf bag" I adopted the "Yes ma'am, these are golf clubs" strategy, and I have yet to pay a fee.
Old     (onepoorpilot)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-22-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
Be careful flying airtran.... before their bankruptcy their call sign was critter..... (value jet) some of you may be too young to remember value jet and the florida everglades.