Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    lakesideluver            08-26-2003, 4:28 PM Reply   
about two hours from madison or chicago depending on where your at....Mike Morris or Lizrd142 would have the info, but im wondering if anyone is planning on going? this will be my first comp and from what ive heard its 10 bucks to enter with both men and womens classes and beginner intermediate outlaw classes.......im going for the experience anyone else?
Old    pans210            08-26-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
I will be there, i am working it though, so i wont be able to ride. Come up and say hi, ill be the one totaling the score sheets.
Old    upupnaway            08-26-2003, 6:29 PM Reply   
Sweet.... You could give us some info on it! Just kidding.. Hey Mike, We will be going out early and getting some practice in, so if you do not want to compete cold, wake up early and come on down.
Old    lakesideluver            08-26-2003, 9:37 PM Reply   
Mike im two hours away!!! do u know of a cheap hotel because i seriously need that practice....I havent ridden in a week now because the old crew lamed out and so ive had noone to drive me but yea id luv to hit the mobius up at dawn......lets be in touch
Old    lakesideluver            08-26-2003, 9:38 PM Reply   
ryan would u guys be interested in adding a slider comp or something? i have a rave slider id be willing to bring if it was worth it?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-27-2003, 3:36 AM Reply   
ryan, you know how to add?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-27-2003, 6:44 AM Reply   
Where is the comp at. It has been a couple of years since I have done anything like that it sounds like it might be fun. What tricks do you have to do to be in what class? The last one I was in was based on age. I couldn't find wonder lake on my map program what city is it near?
Old    lakesideluver            08-27-2003, 7:54 AM Reply   
geneva area i believe it is also close to fox lake mike morris would know he only lives a block from the lake
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-27-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
Hey Stan-
The competition is at Center Beach in Wonder Lake, IL. Wonder Lake is roughly 10 miles from the WI border quite near the towns of McHenry, Richmond and Woodstock. This contest is being sponsored by The Board Shop in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, which is about 45 minutes away. I don't have thier contact number handy but they are listed. The boats are being provided by Fox Lake Harbor - Centurions, I think?

From what I know the format is this:
Registration at 8 AM
First rider leaves the dock at 9 AM
There are 4 divisions based on skill (or lack thereof) and gender: Women's (all together regardless of skill), Men's beginner, Men's Intermediate, Men's Outlaw. I of course will be in women's. The gal told me that Beginner is simply that, Intermediate is grabs, 180's, maybe a spin or invert, Outlaw... anything goes. If it is anything like the other one-day contests I have been to there is no practice run. I am not sure who/how the judging will be done but I have heard that there might be some sort of ribbons or medals or something. This is the same shop that put on the contest in Fox Lake, IL in July (?). They expect to be done in the afternoon depending on the # of riders.

I am going just to have fun. From all of the other contests I have been to and in I know to expect some level of disorganization, a lot of waiting around, "interesting" judging systems at times, and a whole lot of fun. It's not the pro tour or anything but it should be a hoot.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-27-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
Lizrd- Thanks for the info. I will have to call and find the details. I am not sure if it is worth it to drive down there for me, but I look into it. If I can get a couple of other riders together it might be ok. 8 am registration is early. I think its about 1 1/2 hours down for me. Plus I suck and would get my butt kicked, oh well it would probably still be fun.
Old    lakesideluver            08-27-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
stan im a first year rider and im going, dont worry so much meet people and learn
Old    pans210            08-27-2003, 3:02 PM Reply   
mike, i tossed the idea around last night to keni, and asked her if they were going to have a slider. She responded pretty quick with just a flat out no. I dont know if that is because they dont have one avalible, or because of insurance reasons. You could always give keni or jayson a call, and see if they would like to use one.

Tim.... i get to use a calculator =).

Lizrd, arrow marine will be providing the centurion boats. I believe but am not positive they will be using the Eisenhauer boat again.

When: Saturday September 6th
Time: Registration at 8am, riding begins at 9am
Where: Center Beach, Wonder Lake, IL (At East Lake Shore Drive and Hancock Drive)
Entry Fee: only $10

There will be 5 divisions: Women's, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Outlaw. (And this isn't some big, sanctioned event or anything - just an excuse for some riders to get together, have a great time, for us to meet you guys, and to put on some friendly competition! )

There's over $1000 in prize money, plus drawings for give-aways with T Shirts, DVD's, posters, and stickers!

Immediately following the awards, Dockside Pizza across the street from the beach will be having pizza specials and some sweet LIVE MUSIC from Some Assembly Required! So plan to come and hang out for a while afterwards!

Please note: If you are under 18 and will be attending without legal parent or guardian, please contact us and we can email, fax or snail mail you the waiver you will need to have signed. You CANNOT participate without this form! (Sorry, guys - insurance issues!)

This is setting up to be one helluva good time! If you have any questions give us a call anytime! We hope to see you all there!!!

Keni and Rish
262-248-1703
www.lakegenevaboardshop.com
the_board_shop@hotmail.com

SPONSOR SHOUT OUT : Arrow Marine, Wonder Lake Marine, Centurion Boats, ReMax Plaza/Ken Koreba, Akita Topsoil/Keith Williams, Nicolino's, Homefront Financial, Direct Design, B&H Industries THANKS EVERYONE!! (And there's always room for more - let us know if you would like to help out!!)

Old    lakesideluver            08-27-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
lol okay so there goes the idea of a slider comp, but i wonder if she realized that my slider is extremely safe? ive hit that thing every which way you could and nothing more than a bruise .....but you all can plan on me being there....mike and liz im looking forward to that early morning session? gots to see me that tantrum
Old    wakefiend            08-27-2003, 8:05 PM Reply   
Anyone with a boat up for practicing before the tournament?? I'll love you forever and ever and ever ...lol, drop me a line.

(Message edited by wakefiend on August 27, 2003)
Old    wakeboard_kid3            08-27-2003, 8:12 PM Reply   
Can i get some more info on the tourny I will be in the beginner and i was wondering about the tricks and mabey some more info. mpemmer@hotmail.com
Old    lakesideluver            08-28-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
id like that also, im a guy that can do simple 180's 180 grabs, and backrolls.....where does that put me?
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-28-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
OK! I have just been informed of the contest buzz on here from ryan m - SO HERE I AM! ASK ME ANYTHING!!! :-)

To clear up the classes:

Womens - Last comp we only had 2 girls that did no more than 1 invert, so it was a class all it's own. Depending on our turnout, we may divide the women's if we need to!
Beginner - No inverts
Intermediate - A max of 2 inverts, or 1 invert and one spin
Advanced - Max of 4 inverts
Outlaw - GO NUTS!

I hope you all know that Lizrd hit the nail on the head - Jayson and I are just some really laid-back, fun folks who just want to get some riders together, have a good time, and some friendly competition! But, trust me, we are going balls-out on this - we've got about $1500 in prize money, and we'll be doing drawings for free DVD's, posters, T-Shirts, all riders will be gettin some SWEET competition T-Shirts, the guys at Midwest Militia will be sending us some stuff to give away, there will be newspapers there, and then Dockside for the "afterparty" should be a blast!! It's just an excuse for us to get together, have some fun, for Jayson and I to meet some more of the "local" wakeboarding community, and that's about it!!

Seriously, if you have ANY questions, just call us at the shop!! 262-248-1703

Can't wait to see you all! This is going to be a blast!
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-28-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
Oh ya...If you are coming in from out of town, any hotel in McHenry or Woodstock are 15 minutes or less! Call me if you want me to help you with any accomodations!

And of course you can pre-register - I will email you what we will need (name, address, phone number, credit card # to charge that whole TEN BUCKS, class you are going to ride, etc) and you can just email me back with that info, and just bring the signed liability release form when you arrive.

SWEET. Like I said, call me if you have any more questions! We're here for YOU GUYS, and want to make this a good time had by all!
Old    lakesideluver            08-28-2003, 5:19 PM Reply   
keni keni keni, id luv to bring my nice safe inflatable rave slider down to the comp if you guys are willing.....rave gave me the slider at cost with the afreement id help promote them.....if your not interested i understand but it would definately be a blast
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-29-2003, 6:18 AM Reply   
Keni,
If we pre register do we have to be there at 8:00 or can we show up when our class would start? Approximately what time would I need to be there to compete in advanced or outlaw? Also in advanced can you do spins plus 4 inverts? I have a few more than 4 inverts but they usually aren't consistent. Not sure what class I would ride in. Probably advanced. Thanks for the info.
Old    lakesideluver            08-29-2003, 9:56 AM Reply   
good question stan id like to know that too

Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-29-2003, 5:31 PM Reply   
Hey guys - Mike, you know I'd love to help ya out, but that insurance thing can kill ya. :-( But maybe if you wanted to just set it up on shore or something and promote it, I don't see a problem with that?? (Just a thought.)

As far as what class you might be in, those Outlaw guys can get pretty hard-core! To ride in Advanced, it just means you can't do more than 4 inverts in your pass - it would be better to do some inverts consistantly and some spins and compete in advanced, making them big and clean, rather than trying to push yourself into Outlaw and maybe not be as clean...?? Make sense?? Really, don't stress about it! Like I said, it's just for fun!! :-)