Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
I tend to research quite a bit before dropping $50-60 on anything, so I thought I would check in with everyone and see what advice and recommendations you have.

I am selling my 21ft runabout, and looking at several wakeboard boats. I have been boarding behind my boat for a few years, but need a more specific boat fopr boarding. Of course they are the most popular, and I also realize everyone has their favorites, and are faithful to one brand, but I would really like to hear what you have to say.

I am looking at what has a good wake, not necessarily the "biggest" since I am beginner to intermediate and have not been upside down yet (except underwater). I am also looking for comfort, and storage. Everything else (perfect pass, ballast, tunes) can be added.

I am looking at the following:

Super Air Natique
X-star
Malibu LSV
Tige 22V 0r 24V Riders

Thanks for any input you can give.
Old    wolfpack            03-24-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
Keep your cash, for beer and gas money and bum rides off other people. More fun to still board, and not have the boat upkeep.
Old    ag4ever            03-24-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
Opinions are like a%^ holes, everybody has one, and you don't want sombody else's.

FWIW, I love my '02 SANTE, but rode behind a '01 wakesetter last weekend, and it has a great wake too. They are different, and I would say that wake is easier on you while still allowing good air.

Get what you like.

BTW, the BU owner still like some of the features of my CC, and I still like some features of his BU.

New commandmant: "Thou shall not covet thy neibor's boat."
Old     (ryankid)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
Hey man, nice name we related?? SANS are top notch boats and i dont think you will ever hear anything bad about them,i wish i had one. I just purchased a new moomba and so far i love it. The best thing is to ride in all 4 and see what gives u what u want, everyone has there own opinion. good luck
Old    blindsiderider            03-24-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
Go try them all and buy what you like. This has been beaten to death again and again on this board and when comes right down to it the best boat for you is the boat you'll buy. No matter what you hear on hear about how this boat is better then that boat and I would never own that boat. All that is fine and dandy if what you are wanting is to find out what people like and dis like about a boat I would go to the brand that i am looking and find there owners website and ask them what they like about and dislike about there boat only and not mention any other brands and see what you get. The person who has to figure out what they want is you and only you. So good luck.

PS go with the Tige 22 or 24 Riders Edition
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-24-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
you didnt mention it but go to www.mbsports.net and check out the boat with the 2-speed tranny. You will save around 30% of your fuel consumption. and it has a lot of ballast and a whole lot of storage space, all in all a great boat.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-24-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Yep you can't go wrong on any of those, get out and demo them. Found out what suits your needs and budget best. "you will find a pretty good price range there, from the X-Star to the Tige 22V" Then go for it.
Old     (darty)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-24-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
You aren't looking at it, but the Moomba Mobius XLV sounds like it would fit you pretty well... Cheaper than the ones you listed above, a nice beginner wake when not weighted, and a huge one when weighted, lots of room and storage. You could load one of these out with bimini, PP, etc. and still probably be cheaper than most of those before ANY options at all.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-24-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
You can not go wrong with any of the boats you listed, they are all known good companies. Every boat has its pluses, and minuess blah blah blah, go sit in each boat, see what you like, see what is going to fit your needs the best. Also demo demo demo, spending that much $$ you dont wanna say whoops this boat doesnt fit what i want. on that note, i have one good thing to say about the malibu ws lsv, its configuration can hold more people 14 confortably, we got 14 people in there at the boat show, thats what sold us on our lsv, it was simular size to all the other 23 ft range, but was just bigger inside. so go sit in some boats, see what you like.
Old    bigj            03-24-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
Mike, I was in the same situation a few months back. I went with the Wakesetter LSV because of the size/options/quality. Super Air is far smaller boat, X Star is sickly overpriced, and wasnt real impressed with Tige's overall quality. Hope this helps you out with your purchase.
Old    jayreese            03-24-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
Mike Just thought I would throw another thought in your head. Have you looked at the Calabria Pro-V. We just bought one and are extremely pleased with it and it has all the features of the boats you mentioned but you wont have spend 50-60k. Good luck with whatever you pick because after that its all fun in the sun.
Old     (kvkev)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-24-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
Do as you wish and best of Boating with the one you pick! Question I have for you is, Who are the closest dealers to you that offer good warrenty service and Quick turn around? Nothing sucks more than having to drive long distances or waiting on
your boat to be worked on when YOU want to Board.
You just dropped a small fortune in this boat and I'm sure you want to use it as much as you can.

I say go with the dealer that will keep you on the water and treat you as if they want you to buy your next boat from them and the next and the next.
Old     (san_man)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
Hey Mike if you can don't mind a bit of a smaller boat have you sat in a Super Air?? The quality is amazing. I bought the boat just for the controls alone not to mention JD powers rates it number one.
Old    bigj            03-24-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
RB,Just curious, Do you use Verizon for your wireless service?
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-24-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
I looked for a long time. Test drove went to dealers talked to various owners it was a a long process but I bought the MB. Just take one out for a ride.
Old    neilm            03-24-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
Kevin's got it right. It's the DEALER that makes the biggest difference. Test drive them all, spend time at each of the dealers, get references who bought their boat 2-4 years ago (see if they still like that dealer), and go with the best combination of boat you like plus dealer you trust.
Old    tigeboatsinc            03-24-2004, 9:14 PM Reply   
i have only heard good things about the tige' 24v if you can afford it go with the 24 over the 22 it is the same boat everything is just bigger including the wake
Old    00prostar205v            03-24-2004, 10:43 PM Reply   
50-60K? I would add a Sanger to that list. They make really nice boats and you may have a few bucks left. I used to have a Sanger and I'd own another one in a heartbeat.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-25-2004, 5:00 AM Reply   
I like two of the boats on the list, but all are good boats. As mentioned before, dealer, dealer, dealer. This element will make or brake your boat experience.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 5:34 AM Reply   
As a wakewhore, My fav's are the tige's and x-star.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 5:38 AM Reply   
Oh yes as said, Dealer makes all the differance!!!!!!!!!!! Might want to ask some questions about the dealers in San Diego area. Some of them have a better reputation than others (I'm not naming names)
Old    cabalisticfire            03-25-2004, 5:41 AM Reply   
I bought in Nov so this process is fresh in my mind.

Some thoughts...
Natique, Malibu, Mastercraft, Supra, Moomba, Tigue are all pretty good boats. There may be others but I didn't get to see them up close or there was no dealer in my area (MB Sports, Calabria, Svfara, Sanger all fit into this catagory).

What I did.
Went to the Supra/Moomba dealer. Climbed through all their boats, talked with the dealer and tried to get a pretty good feel on price.
Went to the Malibu dealer, repeat
Went to the Natique dealer, repeat
Went to the Tigue dealer, weird hours, never got to see a boat.
Skipped the Mastercraft dealer after hearing a few extensive detailed complaints about work never getting done correctly or on time. Note this was a dealer issue, not a manufacturer issue.

At the end, the comparably equiped Malibu VLX and the Supra SSV were only a couple thousand different in price, the Natique (also comparably equiped) was 10K more than the Malibu and all three dealers seemed like good people.

Demoed the Malibu and bought it. So far so good.

So there you have it. Look for a combination of boat you like, good price, and good dealer support. The ONLY way to do this is to get out, talk to dealers in your area, demo boats, and figure it out for yourself.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
If your looking for a boat that big i would also take a look at the sanger v 230. A great boat for a great price, and it's very roomy.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-25-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
hey greg how is that boat, when I get a boat that is the one that I want to get but have yet to hear anything from an actual owner.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-25-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Wow, what a response to my original message. This board is great!

I really appreciate all the info. I realize everyone has their opinion, and the best boat out there is the one I really like. And the dealer is VERY important. There is one brand of boat I really like, but the dealer in this area comes with a bad rep.

While I am at it, here are a couple more brands that I would appreciate opinions on.

Moomba
Supra
Centurion

Thanks again,

Buzz
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
Supra SSV GG is a badass boat but good luck getting one , same with the XLV

I say either the LSV or the SAN 210.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 5:46 PM Reply   
Add Gekko to the list. Great performance, distinctive styling, inexpensive.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-25-2004, 6:59 PM Reply   
Yea, just talked to the Moomba dealer and he sais the XLV is hard to find, and ordered, I am looking at possibly June. Sounds nice, but just can't go that long without a boat!

Really looking at the Supra Launch SSV though. Everything I heard is positive, and it is supposed to be a bit nicer than the Moomba.

Buzz