Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-06-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
Took the boat out two days ago for only the fourth time. When we were about to put the boat away we hit a small rock that was submerged near the dock and took a half dollar size chip out of the gel coat.

Is this hard to fix and is it expensive? It doesn't look like the fiberglass is dented in, just the gel coat chipping off. I will post pics up when I get time. I hope it doesn't cost me a grip.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
on a road trip last year i had a snap from the travel cover pull out of the gellcoat. as you can imagine the scratch was pretty deep (all the way to the fiberglass.) i think in was about $300 to fix it. the material was fairly inexpensive, but at $90/hr it adds up fast. hope this helps?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-06-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
Thanks mike,

I can handle $300, just wondering if it was going to be worth filing with insurance. Doesn't sound like it will be.
Old    jmac_04            04-07-2005, 6:13 AM Reply   
That sucks Mike. Which ramp were you using? My wife said she told you about our incident with the trailer on the ramp by the Marina. DO NOT USE THAT ONE! Have you called around to get estimates yet?
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
if you haave a white hull and its below the waterline it may be worth just getting some gel coat filler. it won't buff up as nice as the original but it will be pretty hard to spot after some polishing.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
$300 even seems pretty high if it is just some gel coat.... I had much more work than that done on a boat several years ago and that is what it costed. I did notice price range drastically from shop to shop.... Find a good one to match it well though...
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-07-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
Jimmy,

The Glastron dealer marina. I heard about your trailer, did you get it fixed? I hope that all works out man. At least we are getting this crap out of the way early in the season. Hopefully this summer will treat us better.

Mike
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-07-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
do it yourself ... you can get the gel coat at www.spectrumcolor.com

they have most newer boats and the colors are guaranteed to match. The small one step bottles are only around $25-$30.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-07-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
Thanks Ronia,

I think I just might do that. I checked out thier website and it doesn't look to be that difficult.

Jimmy,
You interested in boarding tomorrow? Give me a shout. My friend Jason is taking his boat out, since mine is waiting repair. Just shoot me an e-mail or give me a call if your interested.

Mike
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-08-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
I've patched holes in the gelcoat of my jetski and need to work on our ski boat this year also. It's really easy and the least expensive method. Let me know how it works.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
Is it O.K. to still take on the water until I get it fixed? The fiberglass is exposed, but is not dented in.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       04-08-2005, 11:09 PM Reply   
You will be fine putting your boat in the water. If you do the fix yourself, it seems white is actually the hardest color to match perfectly. I think you can get that fixed professionally for less than $150.00 if you call around. Check Yatch shops, they seem to have reasonable prices for such a small job.
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-09-2005, 10:51 PM Reply   
Professionally its goona be like 150 like Troy said. However if its below water line I would just buy one of those patch kits and follow the instructions and call it even. I did that on our malibu with a chip we had on the front and it looked fine. If you put some wax paper over the repair you don't even need to buff and it will look ok. If you buff it looks pretty darn close for 30 bucks and a half hour.