Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-26-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
I have only ever had a point and shoot and I'm getting sick of the difficulty that I have getting a good shot. I want something that takes better quality photos and that can snap pics in bursts (not sure the technical term) so that I have a better chance at getting good pics. Again, i'm not looking to become a pro but just am sick of the delay and crappy pics my point and shoot is taking. I will be using it as a family camera. Budget with all required accessories i'm thinking about 1000.00. Any suggestions?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-26-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
Ian, You should be able to get a nice set up for $1,000. I'm a canon guy so my Nikon knowledge is limited. You can pick up a good used Canon 40D and a decent kit lens (28-135) and a nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) from fredmiranda. for under your budget on Fred's buy/sell forum. I have bought many items from FM users and have not been disapointed. I sure others will offer ideas. Good luck and happy shooting with your new camera.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-26-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
like this? Is this a good deal?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/828008
Old     (bradlovellphotography)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-26-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
Yes, that's a great set up. I agree with Randy on this one. I actually have the 40D as a back up and also own the 28-135. This is a great starter kit. The 40D is a very nice body, and has some nice features. If you get that body, then you can look to get better glass and you'd be set!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-26-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
is it a fair price?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-26-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Ian, for what he is including the price seems about right, my only concern is the seller does not have any service evaulation (buy/sell) on FM. The 40D is a great body if you watch FM there are good deals popping up every couple of days. use the topic search and type in 40D, it's faster. I used the 28-135 for awhile before picking up better glass and still use it today for a walk around lens. It is a pretty good lens with good range and will be fine as you learn the camera. As the feedback on the 7D keeps coming in as strong as it is, you will see more 40D's for sale.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-26-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
If you paypal him you'll be protected.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2009, 5:56 AM Reply   
ok, i found one on ebay that seems like a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120483578985

thanks for your help!!!
Old     (dmonte3283)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-29-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=774042
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-29-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
I won that auction above. Thanks for the help everyone! I sent him my FedEx number and hopefully he overnights so I can try to use it on Halloween.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-30-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
Sick - I have that set-up and love it, have gotten different glass since, but the body is great. If you get a chance, get the extended battery grip (Canon BG-E2N I think), it makes it so much more comfortable in your hands and doubles your batter life, besides giving you another shutter release for vertical shots