Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-29-2005, 9:35 PM Reply   
Just wanted to share some info on some product's I have got from Kris @ Wake Specialties. Im getting all my Led's from him. He has turned out to be a solid supplyer and his product is top notch. For all you DIY'ers check them out for your next LED's lighting project.

#1 These are the flexable SMT LED's that are used in my Enzo speaker grill's the strips ar 14 inches long and can be linked together or cut into 1 inch segment's there are 3 led's per 1 inch segment.

#2 This is a Plexyglass ring that will go betweeen a 10-W-7 and a sub box it's a 1/4 in plexglass ring with a strip of LED's counter sunk into them. The SMT's fit right into a grove in the plexy

#3 These are some Underwater LED cluster's made to mount under the swim platform. They are about 1-1/2 by 1-1/2 squares with 6 super bright LED's, They are fully potted and have a hole in the center of them so that you can run a screw threw them for mounting. They are linked together in a chain like christmas lights.

Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-29-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
Those rings look great, very nice work.

Or you could get a set of these. I won't bring up any names.

Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       12-30-2005, 5:51 AM Reply   
Chas

who made the rings for you?? those look like crap!! What is that on them glue of bondo??

Grant those ring look great. Are they good prices??

later

later
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-30-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
Charles: Yes no name's LOL we all know who your talking about.

Shawn: The price's???? I think they are good, because they are high quality so they are not the cheepest. LED's are deceptieve you can find them for cheep but they can have problem's. I hate trying to save a buck to only find out I have to re-do somthing. I understand why pay more for somthing if you dont have to. Its like most anything eles you get what you pay for.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-02-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I am back from down-under. Looks like there has been some nice progress in the LED area.

Those are not my rings that Chas used so that should help you guys figure out by process of elimination, I believe that ring illuminated blue and has been seen many times once installed.

About a month ago I started working on some LED projects. I am still planning on making some LED taillights, cupholders, and a few other things for myself, Grant, and other friends. I had one of the "BLING" tail lights almost completed, during about hour 30 of my burn test the LEDs started to go dim so I looked for different sources. While I was away a couple packages arrived from Asia so I am anxious to put them to the test.

From what I am finding good tail light grade LEDs will probably run you at least $1 each, add circuitry and mounting and you could easily go 4x that cost. I would guess that speaker ring shown in Grant's picture has about 40 LEDs in it. I would guess there is probably $50 in parts plus about 4 hours of labor in that single ring.

The harley guys are paying $200+ for the LED tail lights.

Sure you could diy something for much cheaper but it probably will not look as good as the blue ring show in Grant's picture.

I will look for new sources for LEDs at my annual lighting trade show in March, hopefully I will find some cool stuff to share with everybody.

Mike
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-03-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
GW - happy to see you got your check!

Mikeski - The lit ring has two full strips at 24 LED's each plus one segment for a total of 51. I believe that ring is going in an Infiniti SUV around a 10W7. What lighting trade show do you attend in March?

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-03-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
Lightfair International in Las Vegas. LED's are a hobby, specification for institutional lighting retrofits is my business. LED's are not quite ready for prime time as a source for general lighting. A couple scientists at Lawrence Berkeley Lab have some interesting projects and Sylvania has the Dragon product but nothing I would consider specifying for the general user. Flashlights, Signs, traffic lights, auto signals, and the boutique applications are good applications with the currently available products. I hope to see new products utilizing LEDs at the show.
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-04-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Hey Mikesski I just started working with Osram/Sylvania and let me tell you The Dragon Tape Is Unbeleavable, It was designed for RV/ Boat usssage and 1 YES 1 Single Dragon Eye can replace an entire Flexiable SMT Strip of 24 lights. If anyone would like to see these lights Ive got a display case that Sylvania sent me directly. Also I have flexiable lights that come in 30' spools that way there is no more keeping an inventory of single 1' foot led's. And if anyone is going to the Miami Boat show look out for me because im designing a boat for Donzi that will knock your soxs off

more to come...........

aka Dr. Bling
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-04-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Come on Neil you know you can make statements without back up pictures!!!!!!!!!!!J/K

Let's see em
Old     (drifter1136)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-04-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
I was just curious when Wake Specialties is going to get the platform LED pricing on their website.
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-04-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
Touche Brother Brian - Had to put the ad in before R&D was done and you busted me. Give me 'till Friday & it'll be up. If you sign up for the newsletter you'll be the first to know!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-04-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
I will start on the platform project in a few week's Im gonna make a teak holder that will hold all the lights and wire's and them mount to the bottom of the platform making installing all 9 lights a simple bolt/screw on job.
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-05-2006, 6:08 AM Reply   
7.2 Watts on a single strip

application/msword
DRAGONtape info.doc (54.8 k)
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-05-2006, 6:16 AM Reply   
Hey Jim I never said I would Install all of lights on the 4-8's and the 2-10's, and besides that, I didnt make a penny on that whole deal, I ran around for three days taking care of your client, Which nobody else would have made those rings for you. And Besides Ive seen the Pics of the boat and it dosent look to shabby. So sorry for busting my ass for you and bondoing the lights to the plex, but realize I WAS hurried by your client, and just for informative usage most people Duct tape the lights to the plex and never have any problems. But understand that I bent over backwords to meet your deadline and the boat still looks SICK because I busted my ass for you

Thanks for your time

Neil
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-05-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Uh, who's Jim? Also not sure that this is an appropriate place to air your laundry. Doesn't come across very professional but that's just my opinion.... and you know what they say about that.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-05-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
Neil, no body brought up your name. Sorry you feel you have some thing to defend.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-05-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Yea Neil: Who is Jim??? Are you talking about Neptune's/Charle's They are the only plexy ring's on this post. Sorry Im out of the loop.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-05-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
So now I guess we know who made the rings in Chas post... Isn't self incrimination a biatch.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
hahaha opps!