Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    phaturn            07-30-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
With quality boats costing in upwards of 35k and a decent tow pig costing upwards of 20k how do you do it? I own a really nice 2001 Yukon so I have that covered but I cant bring myself to go spend 40k on a boat. I really want one, but how do you make that leap to make such a huge sacrafice? I mean c'mon 40k is ALOT of money. Right now I'm stuck always asking my friend when were going. I fill his gas tank every time we go, so I'm not mooching but it is getting old.
Whats your guy's feelings on this? How do you do it?
I don't want a used boat. Its just not my style, I like my own stuff....
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-30-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
Don't forget to add you own that pimped out yellow saturn.

look at some moomba & supra's or wait a few years for these nice wakeboard boats to get old and eventually someone will be selling them and wanting new ones.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-30-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
well....for a guy whose "style" includes not buying a pre-owned boat, i'd say you're gonna have to suck it up and drop the coin.

p.s. good luck finding a "new" ride for $40K!
Old    r_dub            07-30-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
It's not completely necessary to have a 40k boat to wakeboard. There are plenty of people out there that ride behind I/O's that do just fine. Seriously, get yourself a decent I/O, add a tower or pylon, add some weight and your set for half the price. Im not going to argue that their isnt a difference, because there is, and those boats are sweet. But dont let being cheap hold you back.

(Message edited by r_dub on July 30, 2004)
Old    shanday            07-30-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
It doesn't have to be a rich man sport...
I use my Dad's '66 correct craft - he bought it for like $800 plus a little hard labor
3 Demo boards between $70 - $110 a piece
2 Demo bindings $? don't remember, but cheap...
We have a blast!!! It's all perspective
If you can throw 900s KGBs and that big stuff, you might want the $60k boat otherwise buy used
Old    rweldo            07-30-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
look at it in a monthly paymet way...say it cost you $20 to fill up your buddies tank every time you go out and you go out 10 times a month thats $200 add another $100 to that and there is your boat payment...then you can get other people to pay for your gas
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-30-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
if i could ride behind a wake boat for $200/month all summer, i'd sell my boat tomorrow!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
My whole rig cost $50K NEW plus tax, insurance, etc. Split right down the middle between truck and boat. I have to sac my boat out to get a good wake and I don't have tons of extra room, but it gets the job done and I have the essentials like a bimini and a decent stereo. My truck won't tow accross country or up mountains at 70mph, but again it gets the job done and now I live on a lake so...
My point is this...If you prioritize and live within your means, money won't be such an issue.

One option is: if you have a REALLY good responsible friend who you trust, you could ask them to go in on a new boat with you...that's also a good way to lose a friend, but the right people could make it work.

To answer the original question though, I would say yes - it is for the most part a "rich guy" sport. It kind of sucks because it's also a young guys sport and those two don't go together like chocolate and peanut butter if you catch my drift.
Old    r_dub            07-30-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
Yeah, but the thing you have to factor in, is where do you live? If you live in an area that you cannot ride all year long, like me, it would really suck shelling out that big payment in the middle of November for something you cant even use. And me personally, I have to many hobbies that also cost!
Old    r_dub            07-30-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
In my opinion, it doesnt have to be a rich guy sport. I make decent money, but I wouldnt consider myself rich. Basically, you can make do with what you have, and still have fun.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
Ditto Ryan's comments.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-30-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
72 chevy truck and 86 nuatique......Yeah its a rich guys sport! But while they have to work I can go out and play....But I still wish I had a new boat HaHa
Old    phaturn            07-30-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback Ryan and David.
ohh, you too mango, I know how much you love my car.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-30-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
just go buy one, you will definatly have a good time, and wish you would have done it sooner.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-30-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
DMC - DA MAN CLUB always gives good feedback!

| mango | J-Rod | ALee | Thane Dogg | Paul Bernier | Shawn Wilson | David D | Ryan W. | Crowe |
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-30-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
I don't know if you have the option, but take an equity line on your house and your new boat will be tax deductible. Ahh, there's nothing better than getting a tax break to own a boat.
Old    phaturn            07-30-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
Damn Evan! Thats a good idea.
I'm not sure the wife would agree but still a good idea-
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
dont think of it as 20-50K thing of it as a monthly payment. you can finance new boats for 15years!!

i know its a long time, but at least you got a pimp boat.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-30-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
You gotta pay to play. I don't see what's wrong with a used boat. My plan once I graduate, is to get a 2-3 year old boat with less than 150 hours. If you search you will find someone that takes care of a boat as good as you will & you get to save some coin. "Not My Style" IS a rich man's statement & you proclaimed that you aren't a rich man, then you need to find a new style or contine gripping about not having a boat. Only you hold the cards...
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-30-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
Stephen got you dead to rights. You wan't champagne on a beer budget. Sure we all want the bling boat, but more than that everyone just wants to ride and have a great day on the water, so ask yourself what you really wanna do.

I am lucky enough to have a friend who introduced me to wakeboarding and we ride his 92' Sport Nat with great pride, a retrofit tower, and a whole bunch of weight. The wake is good enough that I will probably never progress beyond what it offers. The engine in the boat is strong and I have helped him out by buying roaps and sacs and racks and alternators when I can because he dropped alot of coin to get the finest in beer budget boats.

We take pride in our riding and being the first on the water in the spring and in the morning any other time. He is usually the best rider on the lake, unless Ricky G shows up!!! All of my best summer memories from the past two years took place wakeboarding, so that boat holds a pretty damn special place in my heart. Without that boat I would never have gotten on the rope, and without a friend like that I would never have been in the boat at all!!

Luckily, we get along well enough that we may split a used SAN 2001-2003 next year. Notice there is no NEW involved. I am proud to be in that boat, and when I see a new boat go by and the rider can't do anything but Reg Heelside airs, I am much prouder to go W2W toeside behind a 92' with a few dings and a direct drive.

So figure out your priorities, and get a boat that works well and can get you a nice wake. A new boat in no way makes the rider.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-30-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Very touching Flux, but true! spoken very well.

Phaturn, you can learn something here...
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
I agree with Stephan and Flux. I picked up a '96 Maristar with 60 hours last summer. Now, the boat did not have ballast, tower, or tunes but it looked brand new. In comparison, I still have the power, reliability and quality, however, the price difference allows me to do other things and not have the investment hanging over my head. I see guys killin it behind an I/O with plenty of room to spare.
Don't worry so much about the "pimp" factor and enjoy it for what it is - having fun.
Old    ricktrav            07-30-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
you know what it's not a rich man's sport. i have an 88sn 2001 that i got for 8k and an 88 dodge ram to pull it. it dosn't have all the luxureys of a new boat and rig but it kick's ass and is the best thing i have ever bought. i have plenty of people ride behind my boat and they tell me that my wake is better then then new moombas and other lower end boats. i love it.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-30-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
Boat envy is a tough thing, and the industry would like you to think that you need all the bling bling just to ride well, but that's their job and really, it couldn't be further from the truth. I applaud anyone who get's a brand new boat and rides well behind it, but I also applaud anyone who throws down as hard as they can behind their family I/O with a less than perfect wake.

Phaturn should know that there are a ton of great boats out there that get the job done in good style for alot less coin. I am also sure there are 30 or 40 people on here who would be glad to help him find the best boat for his money.

Don't let the mags fool ya and of course CC isn't going to advertise how great a wake the 1980's 2001's had, they are gonna pump you for the SANTE. I still don't know how anyone can throw an invert without 3000 worth of stereo equipment
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
I agree with Stephan and Flux. I picked up a '96 Maristar with 60 hours last summer. Now, the boat did not have ballast, tower, or tunes but it looked brand new. In comparison, I still have the power, reliability and quality, however, the price difference allows me to do other things and not have the investment hanging over my head. I see guys killin it behind an I/O with plenty of room to spare.
Don't worry so much about the "pimp" factor and enjoy it for what it is - having fun.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-30-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
shanda got by on about $1150, i had a 94 jet ski worth 1500,board and bindings 350 and the cheapest rope 50, so i was under $2000. $15 to fill the tank and we had a blast riding! also i could probably sell everything for at least $1500, so if you buy quality for a good price it will keep its value. not like that jewlry crap or furniture that has no value after you buy it(ever try to sell a piano?)
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-30-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
Funny thing is, if the boat is old enough, it won't lose much value. New boats drop about 4-6k per year, so you may end up losing 60 bucks per engine hour on a new ride. Tough pill to swallow unless it's a once in a lifetime boat.

Working men usually get a used boat and add to it slowly, you would not believe the difference a properly placed 500 lb sac (120 bucks) can make in your wake!! A 90 dollar stereo blows up the same as a 300 dollar stereo when it get's wet.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-30-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
I agree with all coments.I have a 84 ski centurion that I got for sale,but bought a new mastercraft x-2.other then me feeling so grand because I'm in a new boat,the fun stayed the same.now I just get more attention which is nice but I wish my friend had a nice boat I can just throw some money down and ride.not worry about maintance or anything for that matter.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-30-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
We pimp a 12 y/o Prostar 205. We got it really cheap. It's not the nicest boat on the water, the lights don't work, speedo's come and go from time to time, interior is a little rough, stereo components came and went, etc.....Fact of the matter is, it's mechanically solid, reliable, came with a tower and racks, and all that. I've replaced all the stereo equipment and with about 2200 lbs of weight strategically placed, a full tank of gas and a couple people, the wake rivals that of a lot of 40k+ wake boats. Add to it the fact that I bought it with one of my best friends and my monthly boat payment is only $109.00, it's the best money I've ever spent. Also buying used has it's advantages. The co-owner of my boat had never even wakeboarded before (I knew he'd get hooked) so it's nice to have a boat that can get dinged up while he learns the in's and out's of boat ownership.

Someone also mentioned the fact that older boats don't depreciate as rapidly as a new one. With all the extras and work we've added, we could sell for more than we paid and that's after putting 100 hours on it.

The only boat envy that I have is that I'd love to have a v-drive for the extra room and ability to hide some of the weight.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-30-2004, 4:43 PM Reply   
It's not a rich man's sport b/c I doubt that most people on here own their boats "outright." It seems to me that the only thing holding you back is that your ego is too big to purchase a used boat you can afford. That's pretty weak. BTW, in my experience the skill of the rider (not that it matters) is inversely proportional to the value of the boat. Just my 2 cents.
Old    sonicr1            07-30-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
OK, here's my story. My parents have had a boat all my life. Several years ago we traded our runabout for a Centurion (it was time , the runabout was dying!!!). We were pretty gorrified with the Centurion, so I suggested getting a high end boat, MC or CC. They ended up getting a X-10, because they knew I loved wakeboarding, and it is a nice big boat for them to "runabout" on. The great thing is... I store, and I keep the key!!! The guys I work with always give me a hard time about being 28 years old and having mommy pay for my boat!!!

My parents have been talking about seeling the boat, because they don't get out on it as much as they used too, and they have recently taken up golf, which takes up all their time!!! So, as it was said in a previous post there are nice boats out there that will put out a nice wake for a low price... just got to look!!! If they do seel the X-10, I would probably buy a used prostar and put a tower on it, or look for an older X-star... maybe even a supra if the price was right.
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
I'm sorry but that "not my style" comment is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. You ask "how do you do it," you go buy a used boat, throw a tower on it and add some weight and have FUN, and push your riding. I'm about to buy a used '95 Malibu and all I can think about is that I'm going to have my own boat to ride behind whenever I want to and how much I will improve my riding. If all you are worried about is how much your boat cost and if it is "new" or not, you're missing the point of wakeboarding. Get over yourself.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-30-2004, 5:36 PM Reply   
Anybody who buys a boat at full price is Crazy ( or rich, or just took equity out of their house in So Cal). By the time you drive it off the lot you have already lost $5K. Go find a good used boat and go have fun. In September it is the best time to start looking for a boat. At the end of summer evrybody is looking to dump their boat and all new dealers are selling their overstock at low low prices, Esp. where there are real winter seasons. I live in SoCal and Drove up To Portland, Oregon to buy a boat in November. I bought a 2 year old Supra SSV Loaded with just about every option , with only 45 hours, transferable Engine warrantee, and it only cost me $27K, No sales tax ( out of State purchase). It was just about brand new and it looked in showroom condition. Beleive me there are a ton of these good deals waiting for you after the summer. Wait until then and then go get the boat of your dreams at a sweet discount. You might have to drive 1000 miles to go get it but it is well worth your while.
No offence to the new boat purchasers, I meant no disrespect, If you can afford to buy a New $50K boat then more power to you.
Good luck shopping.
Old    phaturn            07-30-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
don't hate on me because of my obvious want for a new boat. I never realized how many people ride behind something thats less than bomb. Thats not what I see when I look at peoples profiles, and thats REALLY not what I see at the lake. All these guys with shiny new boats, and shiny new trucks. I have never seen anyone riding behind anything else at the lakes I go to (Lake Sonoma and Clear Lake). Sorry to ruffle your feathers for asking an honest question. Maybe I am big headed.....at least I'm not an a**hole
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-30-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
Oris,
Look at my shiny new boat in my profile.

That shiny new boat was a steal at $27K, oh and guess what it is 2 1/2 years old, and I just took that picture 2 months ago
Old    phaturn            07-30-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
That boat is sick! I love the color. I really see your point. Timing and a little sacrafice and you can be rollin. And that sacrafice dosent have to be at the cost of rollin a P.O.S. either.
Thanks Erik-
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-30-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
Goto Boattrader.com or Flipsell.com and start looking. keep an eye each boat you like and If your serious start making offers and lowball the sellers. When I first started talking to the guy I bought mine from, it was September and he wanted $34K for it. Well I made him an offer at $26K and he turned it down from September till November and then he finally gave in and I purchased it for $27K. If you dont need it right away then shop around and start making lowball offers, someone will bite because they are in over their heads (money wise) or they just need to get rid of it.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-30-2004, 6:08 PM Reply   
"don't hate on me because of my obvious want for a new boat. I never realized how many people ride behind something thats less than bomb. Thats not what I see when I look at peoples profiles, and thats REALLY not what I see at the lake. All these guys with shiny new boats, and shiny new trucks. I have never seen anyone riding behind anything else at the lakes I go to (Lake Sonoma and Clear Lake). Sorry to ruffle your feathers for asking an honest question. Maybe I am big headed.....at least I'm not an a**hole"

I still think you're missing the point. Who cares what everyone else is doing or has? When I bought my boat I just knew what I could afford to pay and that I really wanted a boat to go ride behind. Why do you have to be "rollin?" Hell, where I come from just having a boat that you could ride behind would be considered "rollin."

Now all I want is my damn knee to heal up so I can ride again. Try owning a boat and having to spend the season in the drivers seat due to injury.
Old    phaturn            07-30-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
stanfeild i see your point for sure. My view of the sport is a little cloudy I must say. I have only been wakeboarding this year (four months). I think hangin out with my buddy thats always like........"why do you want a Moomba?" "you better not buy an outback"......."no, no, that boats a crapper"......and I really like the boats I'm lookin at!! I respect his opinion because he is the guy that introduced me to something I LOVE to do. I think he's steering me the wrong way.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-30-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
Well man, there's a lot of good information on this site, especially if you're considering buying a boat. Just do a lot of research.

peace and good luck
Old    grampawakerider            07-30-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
FYI - If I could afford it right now, and I can't until NOvember, there is a really sweet 2001 SAN, fully loaded, tower lights and speakers, ballast, perfect pass..etc. located in San Diego for 27k. IMO that is a steal!! For now I keep boading behind my 2000 Bayliner I bought in 2003.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-30-2004, 8:32 PM Reply   
I have a 20' i/o w/tower, 1 sack and a nice stereo-my friends and I go out a couple of time a week and have loads of fun boarding,etc...my partner has a wakesetter w/loads of ballast, stereo etc...we have just as much fun on that boat also. New boat doesnt mean brand new 05-just "new 2 u!!!"ride what ya got and enjoy (at least till you win the lottery)
Old    norcal_99            07-30-2004, 9:13 PM Reply   
I know plenty of wakeboarders not named "Rich." So, I'd say no it's not.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-31-2004, 2:04 AM Reply   
I happen to be a person who has always wanted to have the best of everthing and not happy with what I had.My parents had a 66 glastron which my dad got from his dad and I was always embarrest to be seen on it,because everyone had the nice one's.Then my dad gave it to me and my friends and I were out on it every weekend,now that I look back those were some of my best and happiest days.I saved some money and bought a 84 ski centurion which I was very proud of and had to do alot of work on to get it were I wanted it,along with that you respect it more.After a couple of years saving and wanting a new boat I was ready to do it.My truck that I had was giving me problems and I had to get back and forth to work cause that is were the money is.So I bought a new truck and upgraded to a 89 MC which is a very clean boat.Everybody would like to have a new anything,but most the time it doesn't work like that and you have to start somewhere.How I am with my things I can't imagine owning a new boat and see it get torn up.I don't think anyone that has not owned a boat or atleast been around the lake for many of years should buy a new boat.By the way I still want that new boat and I will have it in the future it just takes time.
Old    tkdhav            08-02-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Well, I wish I had some rich parents to bye me a boat! However I was in the same “boat” I went out looking summer of 2002 for a MC or CC and just did not want to spend 45K for a boat and now it seems like Master Craft has added gold to there boats or something for asking almost 70K. So I tried to find a used ski boat and was at the dealer and saw a Fourwinns Horizon 200 with a tower and it was 20k! So I wound up buy one, added a tower, a Rival ballast system. I now have about 24k invested into it and I have a new boat that someone did not run the piss out of. The ballast system was the biggest plus it about doubled the size of the wake. Maybe next time I will upgrade to a “pimp ride” but for now I have two kids that are going to be in collage before too long, two auto payments and a mortgage and don’t forget these stupid fuel prices if it was not for that I could afford that $900 boat payment.
Old    tkdhav            08-02-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   

My Boat
Old    tkdhav            08-02-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   

Our Boat
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-02-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   

Think these guys are rich?
I'm sure they have just as much fun as someone in an 80k X-80...

Old    tkdhav            08-02-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
I thought I had it bad!
Good for them, make due with what you have, and just keep boarding!
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-02-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-02-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
Too funny Robert.
Old    norcal_99            08-02-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
Kirk, I like the tower and board racks, but that rope is dangerous. Be careful.

Robert, That is funny.
Old    boardline23            08-02-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
i love the tower

i earn money by a body gayrd service i started at school for fresh man $5 a week and because of this

Please donate to the Matt Norville Wakeboard Foundation. We execpt wakeboards, ropes, wakeskates, lifevest, cash, etc. When we receive your gift we will send you a letter to let you know how the gift was used, so include you adresse. Make all checks payable to Matt Norville.

E-mail me at boardline22@comcast.net
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-03-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
Anyone who owns a boat knows it ain't cheap. Insurance, gas, maintenance, gear, vehicle to pull the boat, gas. I am not rich and spend too much of my cash on boarding. but I love it so I do what I must.

If you don't own a boat and mooch gear etc. it can be a low cost sport.

Man you got a nice deal on that SSV. I would love that boat. But 27k boat + truck + gear + gas + maintenance +insurance = rich man sport.
Old    ozonerider            08-04-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
"I have only been wakeboarding this year (four months). I think hangin out with my buddy thats always like........ I think he's steering me the wrong way."

If you're looking at getting your first boat you should probably know that WHATEVER you buy, you will probably want something different in a year or two, once you have had more experience on the water ("two-foot-itis" goes with the territory). Not to mention the fact that getting into boating is a learning experience, which means that like everyone else you will probably do a few things to your first boat that you wouldn't normally do later on. Docking "incidents", running aground, and boat maintenance issues take a heavy toll on the equipment while you are learning.

With the cost of new boats and the rapid depreciation of the same, it makes a lot of sense to get a good deal on a low-hour, well-maintained ride and let someone else take the depreciation hit. I've done it both ways and selling a boat for 50%-60% of what you paid for it new a couple of years earlier is no joy (except for the fact that you get to move on to the next one). I just got into wakeboarding last year after having played around with I/O runabouts and go-fast offshore beasts, and was very happy to find a good used (2 years old) ski boat with tower, stereo, etc., for about 65% of the cost of new.

That left a few bucks for gear, which is turning out to be a whole different story (haha)...

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
[not like that jewlry crap or furniture that has no value after you buy it(ever try to sell a piano?)]

Not to change the direction of this thread , but in many cases this couldn't be further from the truth. I happen to dabble a bit in investment quality stones(diamons/ruby/emerald) and can tell you from experience that they will appreciate. Key word being 'quality' and you don't get quality stones from the local jeweler, usually. I also happen to know a fella who makes a killing in antique furnature.

Down with the De'Beers!! heh.

B-
Old    ag4ever            08-04-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
If I posted a pic of my '02 SANTE, would you be able to tell if I bought it new or used?

The last three cars we have bought have all been used, and except for one, we loved them, and treadted them as if they were new cars.

BTW, I did get the boat new, but now 2 years latter, it really does not matter since you only get the benifit of a new boat for about 3 months, then it is a used boat, and other boats are new.