Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-11-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
The 2000 Ford Expedition 4x4 was towing just fine but at 100K miles thought it might be time. So started looking around, the wife who drives this really wanted something different than a Ford this time (Ford’s for 20 straight years).

So I bought a 2009 Chevy Suburban LT 1500, 4x4, 3.43 rear end, with HD tow package with 10K miles. I am Towing a Sanger V210 (weight 2900lbs+ trailer) this is a baby sized boat compared to some of the boats you guys are towing. Car rides greats get great gas mileage 18 mpg hwy.

BUT my first towing experience in this vehicle was from Lake Mead (outside of Vegas) back to So Cal, I was not impressed. Ten Minutes into the trip transmission temp hit 225deg go up a hill and power seem to gone this is not a big hill.

An hour later, as I start the First Big hill out of Primm the outside temp 104 the transmission temp is 212. As I climb the hill the transmission keeps getting hotter 225, 235, 245, 260, 275. The Car seems to be struggling to even make the hill and it wants to rev at 4500 to try and go at 40-50. This isn’t good my, 100K mile Ford tows this hill at 3500rpm at 50-60MPH and I have never had a transmission temp issue.

Also the Mileage: Towing it got 10mpg a little less the my old Ford got towing the same boat.

I take it back to the Dealer who is very surprised to hear about the 275 temp and the 4500rpm. They look at the transmission, drain the oil, remove the Pan and can’t find anything wrong. So they suggest an additional External transmission cooler which they will install in for free. It supposedly already has an additional transmission cooler as part of the Tow Package.

So today they call me back there doesn’t seem to be any Factory external transmission cooler available so for now I need to pick up the car.

Please someone tell me this isn’t how a Suburban typically tows!

Chris