Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-23-2009, 11:32 PM Reply   
I have to say that I like the new Pro Veterans division! I'm actually surprised not to see more participants in there like Gerry Nunn, Darin Shapiro, Dean Lavelle and a lot of others that come to mind. Hell, where are Jeremy Kovak and Brannon Johnson when you need them. If none of the current pros are going to crank out a slowball for me, maybe we can get Jeremy to do it himself!

Day 1 Results: http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2179
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-24-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
YEAH JEREMY KOVAK!!!!!!!! How about Russell Gay! Man I would love to see B.Johnson Bust some Big worms!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-24-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
Crazy to see Scott Hussey out there. He was the first pro to ever invite me onto his boat when I first started doing WakeWorld back in '99! It was a murdered out MB...even the seats were black! They were all covered with neoprene. He was a man before his time!

Very surprised and bummed to see that Dean Smith and Chad Sharpe didn't make it in. But awesome to see Corey Bradley, Kyle Alberts, Kyle Rattray, Austin Hair and even old man Zane Schwenk win their heats! :-)
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
Tony Carroll making it threw his heat. nice work my friend. Its AMERICA son do work(haha inside joke) from what he told me his pass was i'm pretty sure he's got some more tricks in the bag he can bring out. It'll be exciting to see how he finishes in the over standings.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-24-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
The Pro Veterans Division is GREAT!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-24-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
Day 2 Results: http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2180
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-24-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
But do you have the teams?
Old     (bill_c)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-24-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
Phillip Soven
Harley Clifford
Bob Soven
Jason Soven

these are the only ones I know of so far
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-24-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
Congrats Poser! nice to see you make it through to the next round!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-25-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
Day 3 Results: http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2181
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-25-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
awesome!
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
wheres harf?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
Injured
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-25-2009, 10:23 PM Reply   
How did Dallas look? Will she be competitive with Nikola? That would be great for women wakeboarding to see Dallas and Butler going back and forth. Saw a new name in Jr Men, Galotifore, who is that?

Looks like Mitch is on point and it would be cool to see Harley and him go at it on the PWT Jr Men. I thought Harley might go back to Jr Men for the Pro Tour but he may just stay where he is at. Great kid from what Austin tells me. I personally think you are better off staying in Jr Men if you haven't won Jr Men Pro Tour or Jr Men Worlds. You get a lot more exposure riding every Sunday and winning Jr Men than you do on the Pro Men unless you can win that. On the other hand Austin says the kid can rip so if he can take down Philip and Rusty and the rest then go for it.

Rookie of the year- I thought Jimmy would be a no brainer but if Harley stays that will be interesting. Any other rookies riding Saturday?

Looks like the Fletcher's are making it a family affair. I bet Glen is loving this.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
It looks like Rusty and Phil and Harley may be in the same heat along with Nick Wenacker if I figured right. My money is on Nick. ;>

David- I don't know if there any other rookies. i always thought the class of 07 was the strongest group to come out at once. Adam E, Hutton and Hair are riding Sunday and Robbie Carter and Danny Tholander both made it thru to Saturday. Throw in Nick Jones and that is 6 solid riders. I can't remember if any of those guys were in the top 5 except Adam E when they were Jr Men. I can't recall any other class that had 6 guys riding in the Pros.

I am also with you about the women. It is great to have competition. I think the Rusty/Phil dual has been great for the men. Can a woman win rookie of the year? If so then Nikola should have won it last year.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-26-2009, 12:27 AM Reply   
Ruck is up in the mix!!! Baller
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-26-2009, 2:44 AM Reply   
I am at Wake Games, and we're having a great time. In the wakeboarding world, you usually know who the big players are going into a season. I just want to give a shout out to a kid who came out of left field to make the Jr. Pro Men's final. Nick Galotifore finished the Jr. Men's tour 27th last year, and he'll be competing for a spot on the podium today, landing heel and toe 7s in his semi-final heat yesterday. Impressed the heck out of me. Good job Nick!

(Message edited by deltawake on April 26, 2009)
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-26-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
finally some FOOTY
http://www.thewakeplace.com/?p=453
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-26-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
That was a HUGE BS 180. DAMN like 40 sec into it
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-26-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Rusty
Adam E
JD

Dallas
Raimi
Melissa
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
what about the team?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-26-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure it was Rusty's
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-26-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
Day 3 Results: http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2182
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-26-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Sorry,I got the mens results completely screwed up. I left and they were txt to me. Watching,I thought Adam had 2nd.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-26-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Ok, I don't understand this, so someone please explain this to me.

Why in the HELL would you put the 2 best contest riders in the sport (and World IMO) in the same damn heat!???

IMO, this is bad for the sport. Those two boys should be going at it in the finals. It is much better for the sport if that happens. Soven had the second highest score in the semi-finals and didn't get to the finals because of Rusty's great riding. Terrible.

This would be a kin to Tiger and Phil meeting in the semi's of the Accenture Match Play, totally anti-climactic. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a fan of wakeboarding.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
It's all how the bracket works out. Happens all the time in tennis and team sports.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-26-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
How about if they seed the guys, like tennis and golf? Those guys would definitely be the 1 and 2 seeds and therefore can't meet until the finals. You could seed the whole field and then seed the heats. I obviously haven't thought that much about it, so I am probably missing some finer points. It might work. I just think it would be better for the sport if you could enhance their competitive rivalry. Federer/Nadal, Tiger/Phil. People love to see that stuff. Just a thought.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-26-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
they ARE seeded... it's based on their previous days performance.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-27-2009, 3:45 AM Reply   
I didn't speak to one person there who thought Philip hadn't won the semi's.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-27-2009, 4:19 AM Reply   
Philip had 2 falls in the Qtr finals and came in 2nd to Jimmy. That lowered his seeding for the semi finals.

Riders know the system, it works for the riders, and most fans who are knowledgeable. The drive format for scoring is the best system to date. It is still hard for fans to stand on the shore and know the scores.

I agree with Chris that most thought that Philip had won the semi-final heat.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-27-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
Phil was seeded 1st and Rusty 2nd going into the tournament based on last years KOW final standings. They use that to seed the quarter finals. The next round seeds the heats according to who got 1st in the qtr finals heat plus their ranking. Rusty was the highest seed of the heat winners since Phil got 2nd and Rusty was seeded first. Harley was the lowest ranking of the heat winners and got seeded 10th. Phil was the highest rank of the second place finishers and got seeded 11th. The seed placement is all laid out before the tournament so everyone can figure out exactly who will go where.

Heat seeds and running order with 5 heats
Heat 1- 16,15,6 and 5
Heat 2- 17,14,7 and 4
Heat 3- 18, 13, 8 and 3
Heat 4- 19,12,9 and 2
Heat 5- 20,11,10 and 1

You can go to for official rules http://www.allisports.com/sites/default/files/2009%20PWT%20Rules%204-1-09.pdf

The Pro Tour will use last years PTW standing to seed the first tournament and then this years current rankings for the subsequent ones. Remember while PWT is part of KOW they only use PWT tournaments for ranking PWT so Wake Games has no effect on PWT seeding. That means Phil will be top seed in Texas. Clear as mud isn't it. It actually makes good sense and keeps politics out of seeding. This makes it a level playing field and keeps the top riders from going against each other early most of the time.
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-27-2009, 5:48 AM Reply   
final video :http://www.thewakeplace.com/?p=460
just WOW !
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-27-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
David, thank you for that explanation. I agree, 'clear as mud' for sure. If the guys on the tour don't complain about it I guess it's fine.

I guess it works a little different because it's not one on one competition the whole way through.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-27-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
So, if 1 or 2 takes a second in the quarter finals, the other a first, then they will always be in the same heat in the semis. Seems like that should be avoided.

How about this?

Heat 1- 14,11,6 and 5
Heat 2- 13,12,7 and 4
Heat 3- 16, 15, 8 and 3
Heat 4- 18,17,9 and 2
Heat 5- 20,19,10 and 1
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-27-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Just win your heat. If your seeded 1st or 2nd in qtrs your riding against the 19th or 20th seed riders and below. If you can't beat them then there really is no argument. It is the first time that has happened that I know of. I don't think you will see a change in the rules. It's pretty standard for all sports.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-27-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
David thanks for the explanation AND the LINK. always wondered where the rules were. and i always wondered what DRIVE stood for but was afraid to ask!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-27-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Roger, I have to respectfully disagree that it is "standard for all sports". Would you rather see Federer/Nadal Tiger/Phil in a quarter-final, semi-final, or actually in the finals? I think it needs to be changed for wakeboarding. As a fan I want to see the two best athletes in their chosen sport duke it out with everything on the line. That's when you usually see athletes at their best. Better for the sport.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-27-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Amo- I agree with you but Golf if different. There are 30 or 40 guys playing on the final day. not 4. And the Masters was the first time Phil and Tiger played together on Sunday. A better way is not to have only one guy get thru to finals. Design it so top 2 advance. That way even if Phil and Rust were in the same semi final heat both would get thru if they were top 2. Which is not so certain with Adam, Jimmy, JD and Andrew riding but still better than than just 1.

I do like a 5 man finals better than an 8 like it use to be. 5 or 6 is good. 4 not enough and 8 too many
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-27-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
Agreed Roger. Tough sailing when Phil can have the second best score out of all the semifinal riders and NOT make it to the finals. They should take two. OR, take the five highest scores from the semifinals.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-27-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
AMO- i think wake games is the only contest where in the semi's they only take one. could be wrong though. normally they take 2
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-28-2009, 5:05 AM Reply   
You can not go by the scores from different heats and pick the highest scores. Every heat is force ranked into position for each of the 5 categories. If a rider gets ranked 1st in each of the 5 categories he/she gets 100 points. The same run in another heat might score much lower.
Old     (lfboardboomer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-28-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
I know its awesome to see two heavy hitters in the finals duking it out, but at the same time wouldnt you think it would almost be more exciting to see them both in the same qualifying heat. This way they know its make it or break it not only for the contest, but for the overall King Of Wake. Imagine the catch up Phil is going to have to do now. Just my thoughts