Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-16-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
The last few trips to the lake I have been noticing more water in the bottom of the boat than normal. Yesterday I noticed there was a little bit of steam that would come out of the exhaust under acceleration but temp gauge didn't read much hotter than normal and was normal when cruising.

So I started thinking impeller so today I take the cover off but the impeller looks just fine, all fins intact. I also checked the hoses for obstruction but found none.

So I hook up the fake-a-lake and notice that the water leak is coming from the raw water pump and that the boat is not sucking up as much water from the fake-a-lake and very little water is coming out of the exhaust.

So is my water pump dead or is there something else I need to try?
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-16-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
It could just be the seal. Mine was leaking when I bought my boat. The seal cost less than a buck and was pretty easy to replace. Pump removal was required.

Jman
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-16-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
so would this seal make it to where it would not be able to pump water thru the engine correctly.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-17-2008, 3:56 AM Reply   
It could be pulling air through the seal causing it not to draw as much water.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-17-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Clint,

My boat had a steady stream coming out of it, but it cooled just fine. Temp was never above normal.

Jman
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-17-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
It wouldn't vacuum air into the line, just not getting all the water into the engine. The circulating pump at the front of the engine doesn't "pull" it just circulates whats in the system. The seal would not obstruct water getting to the engine, just makes it leak if its not seated down all the way or its missing for some reason. The seal comes with a new impeller.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-17-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
Took the water pump off today and took it apart. We ordered a new one from skidim that will be here Monday.

The impeller is still just like new.
The bearings and seals inside the pump totally grenaded.
There were 3 ball bearings inside the bilge and a piece of metal that holds them was near my side compartment, I saw these yesterday but had no idea where they had come from until now.

I also had two pieces of impeller in the trans cooler screen that must have been from a prior impeller.

I also got the thermostat housing off to see that the thermostat was corroded and almost stuck shut so I will be replacing that as well.

Hopefully after getting all of this done I won't see any more problems, I guess if there are then it would have to be the recirculation pump.

Another question, the boat had a heater in it that I removed and just installed a U hose to connect the hoses that ran to the heater. This was 2 years ago I did this but is there any chance that some of my problems i am having now could be because of these hoses running to and from the front of the boat.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-21-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
could be more impeller parts stuck in those so backflush with your garden hose to be sure they are not blocked.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-21-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
yeah, plan on doing that tomorrow when the pump gets here. Place an order on wed. and pay for 3 day select = I will get it Tuesday at about 6pm.

What point should I backflush from ?
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-23-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
EPIC SUCCESS !!!

Water is now flowing like a river out the exhaust and is sucking all the water from the fake-a-lake.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       07-24-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
while your at it call skidim back and order all new hoses for the boat.. my j hose split on me on the first trip out this year and almost flooded the entire engine compartment... I checked all of them when I winterized it after I bought it and they looked fine.. but looks can be deceiveing.... LOL