Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (bamboo)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-09-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
This is a question for Tim. I bought your 3-some and Syn6 and ws-420 from Wakeoutlaws (although I'm bummed that it was 2 weeks before they started giving the ws-420 free) and I want to do a sub. Highs are great, I'm just looking for more bass.

How would I go about installing? I know i can put it in storage compartment in a box but the box will contain alot of the sound.

I know I can cut into the fiberglass but I am uncomfortable with the sound shops I've been to in the area:

The one wetsounds "dealer" installed my ws-420 and said it was broken when he was too lazy to check the gains. He also didn't run any of the RCAs but the main which defeated the whole purpose of the 420. I had to rerun them all myself. Additionally he chipped my gel coat when drilling one whole for a wire.

I'm up and running now but I am uncofmortable giving my boat to start chipping fiberglass away and making boxes to put the subs in.

I'm in the central florida area and if you know someone that specializes in installs than that would be great. Otherwise what's the best placement for the XXX that doesn't involve cutting into the fiberglass?
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-09-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
Im not sure about how big the area is in your boat but a lot of people are putting them at the foot of the driver. under the dash. Most boats have a lot of room under there.
Old     (bamboo)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-10-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
The only issue with that is alot of the wiring and dash hardware are up against the wall. I thought abotu that but don't feel like moving everything around (atleast myself).
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-10-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
behind the driver, firing into the boat.

http://earmarkcaraudio.com/set20/large/item-1/IMG_0499.jpg
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-10-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
Bam,

In the user manual, there is two options for boxes. A sealed and a ported box. The ported is the optimum box for the XXX.

As Nick said, most put the woofer under the dash. As this is usually the best and easiest place.

I am not 100% sure on the X-2.

Some also put the box in the passenger area. You are correct that it will limit the amount of output for the sake of easy install.

I sent you an e mail with my rep in that area's contact info. Give him a shout and he can find a quality shop that you are comfortable with that can do the install.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-10-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
BAM,

I believe that the MC X-2 has a sealed compartment under the dash. Whether you install your sub enclosure in the port or starboard helm console or any sealed compartment, like under the rear seat console, a vent is necessary so that the base radiation is not impeded.

Without the vent, both the sub and amplifier will overwork, you’ll lose the musical quality of your bass, and you’ll have more of a boat shaker than a bass maker.

If need be, to supplement your installer, we make white and black King Starboard vents plus billet aluminum vents that can be powdercoated in virtually any color.

David
info@earmarkcaraudio.com
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-10-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
^^^Dave please post some pics of these vents...
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-11-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
NU BU,

You can see various vent examples in our installation gallery at www.earmarkmarine.com. Start with the ‘Sport, Wake and Skiboats’; ie:
Super Air Nautique
Supra Gallery (the latest at the bottom)
Malibu Gallery (the latest at the bottom)

Plus, ‘Performance Boats’, especially the Bajas,
And, in ‘Large Boats’ within the SeaRay Gallery (start at the bottom).

Even a billet X-blade just for MasterCraft is available (sorry, currently no photos).

We have templates for most of the basic slotted patterns in a range of dimensions.

David E.M.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-11-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
Dave,

I can't find it now, but when I went through the pictures the first time there was a boat that had some "cups" over the back side of the speakers. Where can I get some of these? Two of my cabin speakers have been damaged by gear being thrown in behind them.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       11-11-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
Bam i have mine under the dash! it is nice having it tucked away! www.teamneptunes.com did a awesome job! give Jim a call he can answer some questions for you!
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-12-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
David , how are the vent/grills priced? What is an average cost?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-12-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
Jon,

Contact us at info@earmarkcaraudio.com. We have several sizes. These injection-molded cups are great protective devices and are more frequently used to acoustically isolate the midbass driver from the sub sharing the same compartment.

Sam,

Tumbled billet vents begin at $65.00 (smooth and ready for powdercoat but not polished). Highly polished and larger ¾” thick King Starboard vents (no evidence of machine marks) with a backside rabbet and frontside bevels on all slots and outer edges can run up to $250.00

These can be supplemented with color-keyed acrylic trim rings, layered billet accents, logo badges, stainless steel mesh and a variety of finishes.

David E.M.

(Message edited by david_e_m on November 12, 2008)
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-17-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
I sent an email, but no contact yet David.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
For those of you who installed the sub under the dash or behind the driver seat: Is the install procedure just cut the hole and install the sub or are you building a box behind the sub? I really want to relocate mine behind the driver seat. Any help would be appreciated! I have a 10" Kicker L5 if that helps.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-18-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Jon,

Reply sent. Contact us again if you did not receive it.

David E.M.