Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    robertt            08-03-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
when you bought your boat.

I have been lucky, I now have 129 hours on my 2.5 month old boat...zero scratches or scuffs. The dealer came out with me to give me a few pulls the other day and he couldn't believe it was completely without blemish....he said most get a dock rash in the first tank.

Whats normal??????
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       08-03-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
60 hours, 2 month old boat. One scuff that was made by my dealer from probobally being tied to a dock
Old     (marknjenn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-03-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
4 months and it was all good, until last weekend. Hit a log, messed up the prop. No real scratches though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-03-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
129 hours in 2.5 months!!! Nice!

1 month, 35 hours, still perfect except for the gel coat cracks under warranty.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
330 hrs, 12 years and nothing even minor. No upholstery marks either.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
180 hours - 3 years - first damage this year during a "teaching the girlfriend how to drive onto the trailer" session.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
300 hours in 2 years and nothing except some minor board marks above the swimstep. Those will come off this winter.
I can't ever touch a dock as all the decals were replaced with paint.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
150 hours in about 10 months. It's a @#$^$%#$%#@#$ of a scratch too.
Old     (nc05lsv)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2005, 6:29 PM Reply   
50 hours and a nasty one on a freaking metal dock.........argghhhh
Old    the_skeptic            08-04-2005, 1:47 AM Reply   
2.6 Hours .... minior cut in sun pad / passenger side rear compartment .... wtf!!!!!!!!!!!

Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
Second time out husband couldn't see in the glare and hit a log. Quite a good scuff on the gelcoat that can't be buffed out, plus some spider cracks on the fins below. Oh well, least we got it over with soon, now every other scratch doesn't hurt so much.
Old    swass            08-04-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
Let me drive, and I'll scratch that sucker for ya in no time!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
i love having an older boat that i don't freak out over every little blemish.

FYI, if it really bothers you that much, a good 'glass shop can have the gel looking showroom-fresh for surprisingly little coin.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-04-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
450+ hours in 4 seasons and yea had a few "incidents".
Nothing a little wetsanding or Claybar can't take care of.
I'm with trace too, I'm not one to freak out over ever blemish scratch or mark...it's a boat, I use it to have fun, and work on it in the off season.
Old    robertt            08-04-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
I am not going to freak out when I get one...but I wont ram into a dock to get it out of the way either:-)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
there is a off season??LOL
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-04-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
47 hours on a 2 month old boat. Nothing worth mentioning yet - thank goodness.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
oh man. I have had a number of boats of all sizes, most of which I bought used and thus allready had their war wounds, but nothing significant that I added to them.

Then I bought my 2003, SAN. First weekend out, I tied it up next to my big cruiser when we anchored out for the weekend. I tied the boat just like I had tied similar boats many times before, but this time the fender managed to dislodge and the ski boat rubbed up against the cruiser's swim platform bracket all night.

Got some gouges through the gel coat, right on the corner of the hull where it bends to make the turn to the transom. Sickening!

First weekend too.

bummer
Old    robertt            08-05-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
Well son of a biotch.

I started this damn thread, and the day after guess what.....friggin board rack was not clamped and my board flew out at 40mph. Put three holes in the vinyl, I guess I am lucky that it didnt hit the gelcoat.

S.O.A.B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-05-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
You're even luckier that it didn't hit a person.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-05-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
if you don't scratch it you aren't using it hard enough! boats, boards, cars, etc

somewhere about 500 hours/3 years

gel scratches on transom from boards
probably minor scratches on the keel from the occasional beaching
some rubrail wear here and there
vinyl discoloration in 2 areas from dealer-fixing tiny holes, and rubbing some sort of cleaning agent that destroyed the vinyl
1" hole in vinyl and boat cover on sunpad from branch during hurricane
a few tiny holes in vinyl here and there
a small burn mark from bottle rocket wick when we decided it was a good idea to shoot some at the rider
some windshield frame wear where the folding window sits on the other side
trailer fender bent sheet metal from 1) deer running into fender and 2) tire lugs shearing off from fatigue caused by driving when they were not torqued properly

all in all its in good shape