Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-10-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
I am about to buy a gps and would like to see what some of yall have and where you have mounted them..
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-10-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
This is in my 55' Kadey-Krogen.

Upload
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-10-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
very nice!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-10-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-10-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Adam, what model is that gps?
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-10-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Looks like a Lowrance unit.
Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-10-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
My Garmin - '07 Mobius LSV

Upload

Upload
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-10-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
I don't have a photo here, but mine looks just like Chris V's (same Garmin 430 GPS, but on an MB B52 V23). The first time I saw his photo I thought it was my boat for a secon.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-10-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
I'm glad I came across this thread!
I'm looking at the handheld gps (like adam's)
how accurate are they? would you recommend it to someone who's about to go on a 5 day trip to a lake he's never been before?

thanks in advance.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       08-10-2009, 11:48 PM Reply   
I must be stupid but why do you need a GPS in your boat? Do you really get that lost on a lake?
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-11-2009, 1:35 AM Reply   
The depth information is extremely useful. And of course navigation is very helpful or even critical if you are in unfamiliar water such as a river or a big lake.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-11-2009, 4:55 AM Reply   
Sean-
we are going the be ridding in a man-made (flooded) reservoir. the water goes from 140' to 3'' in a matter of seconds...I'd like to know where NOT to go.
oh and some people went missing for 3 days (the lake is HUGE with thousands of little coves and whatnot)
john- how accurate is the depth info? can you browse the map to see where the danger is?

(Message edited by saceone on August 11, 2009)
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
I go to a bunch of different lakes and I like to go to lakes I have never been.. Also I like have two gps's in my truck (one came in it and a garmin nuvi which it wayy better than the gm product) so I kinda like gps's.. Plus when u find a nice cove on a lake your not used to you could mark a waypoint and go straight there which would mean more riding time..
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
go straight to it next time you went to that lake.
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-11-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
chris, does your gps give you depths of different parts of the lake?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-11-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
Ric , it's a lowerence ( it's their waterproff edition), its was cheap..( right around $100) It did what i nedded. It is portable, handheld, battery/12v power, and backlit. It's black and white, btu I dont; need color. It also marks a "trail" and you can set way points. It has proved priceless to me. I use it all the time to mark routes to certain riding spots and potential hazards along the way....and this is all on my home lake. I'm out at nite quite a bit, and I'm not the best and night navigation....this helps a ton.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-11-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
the mount is made by a company called RAM porducts. IT's suction cup and holds very well.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-11-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
> how accurate is the depth info? can you browse the map to see where the danger is?

Yes, you can browse the map.

I've only used my Garmin 430S on one river, and its pretty good there. It shows the low-tide water levels that were recorded at some point. The depths are not exact, but it gives you a good enough idea I think - at least if it says the water is going to be 3' somewhere, I know to be very careful. Even on a lake you'd have to do your own mental calibration based on how much the water level has fallen or risen I guess.

I might not be at my boat for a couple of weeks (still sideline by my prop attack) to check my GPS, but if you give the exact location where you are going then maybe some people here can post photos of the detail that is shown on their GPS for your area.
Old     (csmsk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-11-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
ric,
I do get depth contours and measurements, but I don't have a sounder so they were pre-programmed at a certain date. Obviously those levels fluctuate so I compensate by comparing them with my boats depth finder. The maps for the Sacramento Delta are essential in avoiding shoals, sand bars, etc. My GPS has saved me many a time from hitting bottom, and navigating the hundreds of miles of waterways.
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-12-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
ok Thanks for the info yall, very helpfull! Im lookin into the garmin..