Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-02-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
When you first start up the boat? In my manual it says to run for 4 minutes before starting. Just wondering who follows the guidelines exactly or if you run it less/more?

I obviously dont want to start a fire or worse, an explosion, but I also don't want to be wasting time running the blower if its really not needed.

Its for a DD inboard.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Depends on how many leaves are in the driveway.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
^^^ OMG, that was good... :-)

There have been times that I forget to turn mine off.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-02-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
2-4 minutes but if you need it faster, you can always lift the engine hatch and that will help expedite..

billy, that is classic..
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-02-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
well I have a vdrive so its different for me but I never run it. first thing I do is pop the engine cover open when I get to the ramp. by the time I've taken off the straps, loaded everyone up, and backed down the ramp I bet that's more air ventilated then the small blower could. I will say though, never bad to follow manufacture recommendations!
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-02-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
while opening up the engine cover on your vdrive does help, it doesn't address the real issue in the way your blower does.

the problem the blower solves is that fuel vapors and fumes are heavier than air, thus they sink to the bottom of the bilge area, the blower sucks air from the bottom of the bilge area to clear these fumes.

run your blower in addition to opening the compartment...everytime you turn the engine off run the blower. i flip it on as soon as someone is getting setup for wakeboarding on the swim platform so when i'm ready to turn the engine back on it's cleared.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-02-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
I always forget to put it on, i'm sure you'll hear about me in the news soon enough.

PS I know I need to run it so no lecture's, i'm just being honest
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-02-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I will turn on the blower while i fill up with gas and on the way to the lake. if im not filling up with gas and the boat is already in the water, i will usually turn it on as i am getting the boat ready, like taking off the cover, loading my gear on, putting beverages in it etc. all in all, i usually let it run for at at least 4 minutes like the manual says. its good practice to do so
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-02-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
if you haev a newer boat that is fuel injected you shoudl not have gas fumes in your bilge. yoru fuel system is a closed system. if your getting fumes you need to fix the problem. If your boat is carbed, definately run yoru blower and open the hatch.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-02-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
I run mine anytime we are surfing or idling too.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-02-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
I run mine at the start of the prep lane. Then when I get in, I lift the compartment and smell for any fumes. Then I start up and pull away, typically only about 5 minutes total. Of course, like others have said, I sometimes forget to turn it off for a while on the water.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-02-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Take a look at this thread for those of you who dont run your blower....

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/577112.html
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-02-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
I have fuel injection. I always take a sniff before starting for the first time plus I run the blower.

One time I smelled fuel and discovered a fitting/o-ring on the fuel injector rail was spraying a mist into the air only while the boat was running. I couldn't believe after smelling fuel for 30 minutes I had no fire. I just thought it was running rich or I spilled a little.

An o-ring brought the shuttle down and could you as well. Now I always check the engine, start it with the hatch open and take a good look before proceeding. If you smell fuel while on board, check it out immediately. If you hear or smell anything strange, check it out. It may be a simple as a popped hose at the impeller or it could be fuel. Lessons learned.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       06-02-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
I run it for at least 4 minute. I turn it on while I get the boards on the rack and everyone gets in the boat. By the time we get off the trailer its been running for at least 5 mins or more. I do the same when already in the water from a cold start. Run it while getting everyone on board and situated.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
That's a habit I really need to get into this summer. I always have the kids on the boat and I would never forgive myself is something happened to them because I was an idiot and didn't take the few minutes to exhaust the gas fumes.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
I usually leave mine on all the time while the boat is running.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Its #1 on my pre launch check list. After I unstrap, put the plug in, load everyone in the boat, find places to put all the girls freakin huge ass purses( note: I always put the purses in a spot where when I swamp the boat on a roller they will get soaked lol) and put the boards on the racks I think that is a sufficient time for the blower to run and do its job.
Old    alanp            06-02-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
i never run it.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-02-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Half the time i forget to run it. But the boat just got pulled across town on the freeway doing 55+ mph so it should be blown out pretty well. Any time we stop on the water for any givin time or get gas I will run it for a while.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
I have never even turned mine on. Honesty is the best policy.

Looks like i will start doing so. Good post.