Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       05-20-2003, 7:52 AM Reply   
Need a little help from the fellow WakeWorld posters.

My buddy and I have been arguing about the best way to tow a wakeboarder, I always want to give the perfect session to my fellow Boarders. My buddy says when the Boarder you are towing approaches the wake you should turn the boat away from him to keep the rope taunt. I think the best way is to go straight down the course with know curving and he should edge through the wake to keep the rope taunt. Keep in mind we have Perfect Pass, so this is not a speed issue. Maybe I am right or maybe he is, or it could be a combo of both. But I have been launching bigger airs than him lately and he says it is because he turns the boat away from me. But I get just as big with other drivers, and I typically edge through the wake and keep the line taunt.

What do you think?

Cheers
Old    sickboy            05-20-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
Boat should be driven straight. I'd be more than a little irritated if someone was slightly turning the boat every time I came into the wake. Turning the boat like that will only make riders depend on it for air, instead of learning proper technique, IMHO.

mb
Old    quickhitter10            05-20-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
I see what your buddy is saying but it alot of the turning depends on your buddies weight. I have a 215lb freind who cuts in the wake you can feel it and i have to correct just a little bit to keep the boat straight while on the other hand my girlfreind weighs around 108 i cant feel her and there is no need for this cause she can keep the rope tight herself and the boat can stay straight. Do you notice any difference when you are riding when he is pulling than when someone else is pulling. you never know it might make a difference but a small one. Its all in the rider especially if you have perfect pass.
Old     (scott44)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-20-2003, 8:06 AM Reply   
I have never heard of the driver turning when a rider approachs the wake. In fact I might be a bit upset if somebody did that to me. I hate to say this but I think your buddy is clueless
Old    miker            05-20-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
Scott, whats up? Haven't seen you on here in a while. Hopefully Melanie and I can get a hold of you this summer for another pull down in your area. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your perfect pass that day?

I agree keep the same line the whole time.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-20-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
You don't want to turn the boat to tighten the line. The rider needs to pause for a few seconds on the outside before making his cut to correct this.
You always drive straight for a rider doing a pass with consecutive tricks from each side of the wake, BUT when your behind a boat that is lacking wake you can turn the opposite way a pinch and give the wake a little more vert which may help if your rider is trying a new trick and needs a little extra boost. This extra vert can translate into a little more ups necessary for some tricks - this may be why you're getting a little more air and he thinks it's a good idea.

Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       05-20-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
I would get pissed if someone did that to me.

Old     (scott44)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-20-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
Hey Mike whats new, yeah I finally figured it out after pulling out all of my hair, oh yeah I don't have any, anyway anytime you guys want to ride come down and give me a call your always welcome, good to hear from you
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       05-20-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for clearing that up. I am forwarding this thread to him LOL

He is the type that what he says is always true and it has been anoying. Not only is he turning on me, but then he takes credit for me going big LOL when in reality I am doing it inspite of him. I do agree though you might have to compensate a little, but that is only in the effort to keep the boat straight for bigger guys.

I have also told him when he is riding, that he needs to pause on the flat for a little and then make a gradual turn, that progresively gets tighter as you approach the wake, and that he needs to edge into the wake. Of course this is for your average air, I know there are tricks you need to alter that on occasion.

But thanks for the confirmation!
Old     (lakeaustinrider)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-20-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
It is interesting that so many people on this thread would be pissed at the driver turning a little to build the wake.

I agree 100% with David (wakeguru) that "turn the opposite way a pinch and give the wake a little more vert". I have a Malibu VLX with no wedge and around 2300 lbs. of balast. I have found that to build a more "vert" wake, I "countersteer". My wife and I have found that this method of driving definitely builds that wake and will improve your run. This method doesn't work on on boats. On my friends SAN it only works with less weight in the boat. The SAN doesn't need to be more "vert" anyway.

It basicly is just getting the water running along the rudder on one side or the other. It makes the wake cleaner, taller, and somewhat harder. Have you ever notice that in a moderate turn that the inside wake shrinks and the outside wake builds? It is just that effect but smaller because it isn't really a turn but countersteering.

It all comes down to recognizing changing conditions and knowing how that will change the wake and your pop off of it.