Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-20-2005, 1:42 PM Reply   
I'm looking into putting a 100-150gallon fuel storage tank on my houseboat that I can pump out from the tanks to my wakeboard boats.
No getto ideas please, it needs to be completely safe.
Thanks,
mike schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Even if you had the tank(s), how would you replenish?
Old    justsomeguy            04-20-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
"how would you replenish?"

...gas dock?

It sounds like you want "play tanks" like some of the houseboats on Powell use.

Some pump fuel directly from the large houseboat tank and some use an auxilliary tank.

I would call Aramark and see what they use.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
".gas dock? "

Then what's the point? McClure is a tiny lake. Why not drive the wake boat to the dock and fill it along with extra cans. That's why I asked.

I guess if you have a houseboat full of students you might not want to take the time to go to the marina.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-20-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
Mike,
Should be no problem. I reguraly have 250-500 gallon tanks on sites for fueling equipment. The eaisest place I know of to call is "Valley Oil" and they should be able to let you know where to get a tank or be able to sell you one. You will need a containment basin and the pump's run on 12 vdc power ( a typical car battery lasts a month before needing recharging).
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
Mike,
This place makes custom gas tanks.
http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/tanks.html

Peace - Chris
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-20-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
J-Rod, you answered your own question.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
yeah. I need to stay focussed.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-20-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
I totally agree Mike needs a tank on the houseboat. With the amount of fuel he will be going thru, it's well worth it. Plus it's not always convenient to make a trip to the marina when you have a houseboat full of students ready to ride. Good idea Mike. Good luck.

bennett
Old     (rediro2h)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-21-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Hey Mike, why don't you train hundreds of Giant Sturgeon that live in McClure to syphon gas out of other people's boats at night while they sleep and then store them in their bellies. Then when you need to fill up you could develop a special 'fish call' and a sturgeon would surface and spew forth his gasoline into your gas tanks. I call it the Jonah Theory.

Actually, why don't you get one of those coaches of yours to do some research and get you a discount from Exxon or get you a refund for the Calif. State Road Tax.

Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-21-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
These tanks for the back of a truck can be ready to go with pump and all. Seems like it would work well for a HB.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=106&CMID=osclrp101ln
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-21-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
Mike:

Thats a ruff Idea. Heres why? Pumping Gas from your house boat without containment sacks or ways to catch the overspill, is a huge fine by the coast guard or any agency that reports you. Even transferring gas from a 5 gal to the boats gas tank, on the water, is a fine.
Gas Dock have to go through a bunch of hoops, before they can pump 1 gallon. You might want to talk with them. See what they did to transfer gas. We looked into this for our wakeboard school and found that it was a pain in the ass to pull each boat out of the water, but it was cheaper than getting caught.
Our insurance company would cancel us in the event that happened. Reasons, would be negliences. So, Thats what we learned this winter. Not saying it cant be done.

Good Luck Mike

Ric Morgan
www.learn2wakeboard.com
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-22-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
Thanks a bunch guys for all the comments and concerns. I'll be looking into all of it.
Mike Schwenne