Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-22-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
I was checking out the bios on pwt web and noticed 4 Cali boys on tour, Randall in Hunting Beach, Murray from Mission Viejo, Chris Law from San Diego and Austin Hair from Newport Beach. I'd say that is represnting So Cal, especially the OC. Are there other tour riders from CA. What other west coast riders are on tour? I only chose pros cause jr men are not on there.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-22-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
chris law? you sure you saw that right. hes a florida kid unless he moved recently. there are alot of other people riding out of cali. ricky G, the valdez kids(one ride pro i think), tony carroll and a bunch more just cant think of em right now
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-22-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
Ricky G. representing SoCal.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-22-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure Danny Harf was originally from So Cal and moved with his family when he was pretty young.
Old     (winch_mob)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-22-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
Crooked Murff
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-22-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
I think it is so funny to see where some of those guys say they are "from". Most of them spend half the year or better here in FL. Austin Hair lived here in Orlando all of last season and just bought a house but I guess he could be from CA. Just like most of the guys from AUS. Like six of those guys all live in the same house on Clear Lake in Orlando.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-22-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
Melissa Marquardt, Kyle Murphy, Tyler Killingsworth all throw down and represent Socal
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-23-2007, 12:24 AM Reply   
Jesson Vedel (originally from Tahiti, but lives/rides in Canyon Lake)
Gretchen Hammarberg Vedel
The Valdez Bros
AJ Racinelli - (Jr Mens)
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-23-2007, 3:32 AM Reply   
Scott- none of those guys claim anything. It is where they were born. It is on their bio page on the Prowakeboardtour.com page. I just said it was interesting.

Jason- It says birthplace- San Diego for Chris.

I know there are a lot of wakeboarders in CA I just listed the Pros on tour. What other states have a good representation besides FL. I am from Indiana and can't find any pros ON TOUR. I use the qualifier on tour or use to be on tour because you can instruct at a camp and call yourself a pro.

And yes Scott, they do live in FL because that is where pro wakeboarding is located. Maybe unofficially, but if you are going to be a competitive rider "GO EAST, YOUNG MAN".
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-23-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
I saw a movie once where a kid learned to surf in a wave pool in Arizona and then moved to Oahu and dominated Pipe so who says you got to move to Florida? (Actually Kelly Slater grew up surfing florida which is about 1 step above a wave pool so maybe the movie wasn't that far off!) Upload
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
As much as I hate to say it, moving to orlando provides the best opportunity for the riders to ride 12 month a year and get the exposure and attract sponsers. A few have been able to achieve some success by staying true to their roots, but it's pretty limited.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-23-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
What about Derek Cook isnt he out of SoCal?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
Derek is from Morgan Hill / San Jose Area. Norcal.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
hi-jack, Andy I'm going to be in Hugo tomorrow, you riding? I have my camera let's hook up for a beverage.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-23-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
Yo randy, we pulled the boat out but have been dropping it in like every other day. Its freaking cold here, already into the 30's at night. I will rally up Colin and see if he wants to shred. Lets at least catch a buzz!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-23-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
You got your eye on some lakefront property there Randy?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Andy- I will call you tomorrow, a buzz sounds good if we can't ride.

Rich, not for me thank you, like my seasons to much. July and August are unbarable. Alex is heading to Orlando the 1st of March, got to do what you got to do. When is Chris going
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-23-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Hopefully on the 1st of March with Alex! (The hook up is half the battle right?)Upload

If he actually makes it to the PWT tryouts this spring and has any success at all you never know where he'll end up but I know he's pretty committed to working for Mike again next summer.

We're always in "stay tuned" mode with that kid and since I'm already totally in hoc with my "beachfront" property it's all up to him to make it work.

Don't forget the Delta never freezes over if you and Alex want to get some riding in this winter!
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-24-2007, 4:17 AM Reply   
Yes- it is where they are born. Austin was born in Newport Beach, CA, moved to Orlando, Jacksonville, and then Miami. When he was 10 he moved up to SC and began wakeboarding at 12. He now attends UCF in Orlando. So where is he from? I couldn't begin to tell you. I say he is a SC rider since this is where he learned to ride and most of his friends are here like SouthtownRiders.

I like they put where they are born and not limit it to where they live because they all live in FL. It gives the different states a little pride. Like Randy said, if you want to make it as a pro you better move to FL. It is like moving to Nashville for country music, NYC for Broadway and CA if your, uh, I better not say. (JK, I live in CA part of the year and love it.)