Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-13-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Does anyone know about the BU LCR motor? I am looking at an 06 that says it has it. List HP at 320. Any thoughts? It also has a broken illusion tower on it. The second bar that runs accross is missing and it appears that the top ski eye is broke. I was thinking I could just get another one.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Broken tower? I'd check the glass at the base, even look underneath to make sure nothing broke down low too.

Most things I've read about the 320 LCR is that you can reprop the boat & it'll run with stock ballast fine. I imagine much more than stock & it might have a tough time getting out of the hole.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-13-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Agreed on the prop. Put an Acme 1235 on it and you should be able to make do. The tower does scare me though. Take the feet off and check the gunnels. I have only seen three Illusion towers crack. The fact that there isn't a warranty replacement on the boat already might send up a red flag too.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-13-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Yeah, I will have a surveyor go check it out if I decide to proceed. Its clear in GA, so that makes me a little nervous about it as well.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-13-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
It's not easy to break an illusion tower, I'd be leary also. Sounds like maybe they ran it under something and broke the tower rope mount and bar off.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-14-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
Paul the LCR motor is solid. The base is a 5.7 GM 350 like you'd find in a Chevy truck. I doubt you need to reprop unless you are thinking about a lot of extra ballast.

The Illusion tower is pretty solid too, i agree with nu bu they must have been doing something pretty rough on it to break that tower. Towing another boat with the rope ran to that bar on the tower? Hit a bridge?

2006 is pretty new, how many hours on it?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-14-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
They said it was backed into a garage. I am not sure I am going to proceed. Its a repo boat, and that by itself makes me leary. It has 60hrs and they are asking 32K though!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-14-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
Not buying that it was backed into a garage. In my opinion, it would take much more than that.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-14-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
^^ Yes more like ran into a garage header at full speed.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
Makes you wonder what it would take to break that bar. I know someone who folded up a Titan on a boat lift..... it didn't even strain the lift, but the tower folded up like a pretzel.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-MAL...er-VLX-94337471

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on January 14, 2009)
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
You'll need to reprop it. Load the factory ballast and 6-7 people and forget it. IMHO the OJ 468 is the perfect mate for this boat.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       01-14-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
Ill bet dollar for dollar they had a bunch of people sitting on it. notice the tears in the metal are going down and it broke right at the sleve.. bummer.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-14-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
That wouldn't explain the ski eye being broke too though.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-14-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
^^^not sure what you mean there. The piece on the tower has the tow eye. The pics seem to show the ski eye/pop up tow pylons are in one piece.

What I noticed from these pics:
Will need a new dash piece due to flaking.
Cargo net in back is tweaked a little.
Fingers on board racks are flaking as well.
Lens on tower light appears to be missing.

Teak platform is in good shape.
Seat bases appear to be a shade of brown (ironically called Platinum) instead of moonbeam to match the interior.
Has all black dash instead of graphite/light graphite.
I think that might be a Monsoon engine; hard to tell though.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       01-14-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
also notice the racks are bent at least one of them has the fingers bent in.