Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-17-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
I am thinking about upgrading my Kicker stock in boat speakers with the Wet Sounds XS 650's. My questions are this. I have a 2008 Supra 22V and will these speakers fit into the current cut outs for the Kickers. For anyone who has replaced there stock set up with the Wet Sounds what was the overall result in both sounds quality and volume. I am looking for something that can add more mid bass output than the current kickers provide. Will the Wet Sounds accomplish this or should I just upgrade the towers speakers and leave the in boats alone?

Heath
Old     (t__p)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-17-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
you will have to make the cut-out's bigger
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-17-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Those speakers are freaking huge and deep. The magnet on the back is about as big as an 8" subwoofer. Make sure you have the room to mount them.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
For the in-boats, tuning the amp to your listening preference should get you want you want in the mid-bass department with out spending a dime, I take it you dont have a sub. How many in-boat speakers and what amp do you have powering them? I'll bet the Kickers are a little underpowered as it is, so changing speakers wont really give you a huge increase in volume, same for the tower speakers. $.02
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-17-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
I've run both speakers side by side using the same enclosure (tower speaker can), same amp etc etc.

My results were very similar. I'd tip the Wetsounds as the better speaker, but mostly down to construction more than anything else, sound quality wise there is very very little in it.

Personally, for the money its going to cost to change I'd spend it elsewhere - a sub or better amplification namely; there's no way I'd splash that money for the improvement in sound quality as its just not there.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-17-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Side note; if you are happy to get your hands dirty I would have thought purchasing some separate adjustable cross-overs and wiring them up to your current Kickers could wield decent results....
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-17-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
For me, it was a night and day difference between the Clarion components and the Wet Sounds. We had to create a larger opening for the Wet Sounds but I would recommend them to everyone for an in boat upgrade.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-17-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
Wha? You're comparing a completely separate speaker here? The Clarion drivers are very different to the Kicker drivers...
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-17-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Heath,

What amp do you have? The XS-650 can handle a lot of power. And when pushed with a solid 100 watts will provide a ton of mid bass. What the others are saying is that if you have a small amp. And you do a speaker swap but still do not have a ton of power. You will notice a difference but it will not be as much of a difference unless you have more power.

Brit, what amp were you using for a side by side demo? If you get a chance. Get a big amp. 100 watts rms to 150 watts rms. And then do a demo!! I think you were probably running into the same thing. The XS-650 has a larger magnet, larger voice coil, rubber spider, and higher power handling. So it really comes alive when you rail on it. Do the demo on full range and also on a high pass at 80HZ. Also, if you can do a demo in a boat vs. in a can.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-17-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
I do believe the Wetsounds would drop right-in in the '08 and newer Supra's. '07s and older with the Kenwood setup, you have to do some trimming to make the Wetsounds fit.

But I agree with what most have said here -- you might be able to accomplish much of what you are looking for with amp settings or a larger amp. If you have lots of power and you're still not happy, might want to consider adding another amp and a sub.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-17-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Tim,

I probably should have explained myself a little clearer as re-reading my post it doesn't quite convey my preference for Wetsounds product.

I retail both product lines - your Wetsounds, and the Kicker Marine line. Now I always prefer to fit your drivers as I feel they are the superior unit. As you suggest, when shown more mid-bass they handle it better than the Kickers (our test was a full-range 100watts RMS - no EQ adjustment). I'm just not convinced that having bought the Kickers that spending fresh money (say $500) on the XS speakers would provide the best value option and best end result for that given budget as there isn't really anything wrong with the Kickers as they stand.

I'd rather see a customer throw in a 10" Wetsounds sub(or two) and amp to compliment what's already there. This should sort the weak mid-bass, provide new bass freqs that weren't there before and realistically there won't be much of a cost difference to changing 4-6 speakers 6.5's out.

In my opinion this would be $500 better spent. The customers gains a more complete sound for their boat and gets to enjoy a couple more summers from their Kicker units until they actually require replacement - at which point a swop to the Wet sounds XS650's would money well spent.

Does that make sense? Just seems a more logical move and is the way I'd advise an audio customer of my own.
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-17-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
Tim,

I should probably elaborate on the entire system to help understand fully.

Stock System

In Boat:
3 set of Kicker Marine Coaxals and 10" Kicker Sub being run off of Kicker 700.5. I I added a JL Audio Tweeter by the driver and passenger which is also running off this amp. I believe this set up equates to everything at 2ohm and 42.5 watts being sent to each speaker with 210 watts to the sub.

I also added JL 10W6 Subwoofer in a ported box running off of a JL 250.1v2 which is located in the passenger storage compartment.

Tower:
Two sets of the Kicker component in cans. This is being run off of a Kicker 250.2 which is 62.5 watts per speaker.

I like the sound quality but think the mid bass is not that great. In addition, the Kicker sub is not very good but is not in an enclosure but free air.

I feel that the system is good but on the verge of being great with a little tweeking. I am just not sure what the best money spent would be.

Suggestions welcome.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-17-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
Brit,

Ok cool. Makes perfect sense and I agree. It is true that it is better spent to make sure there is enough power and it is an injustice to upgrade the speakers but not provide them enough power. Your explnation makes perfect sense.

Heath,

It sounds like you would be in this situation. Seems that power is your biggest drawback at this point. Get some more power where it counts.

So is mid bass in the boat the main thing you are after right now? Then bass then towers?

I will give some ideas taking that position just to give you some food for thought.

I would upgade the amp to something like our SYN-4 running the in boats. As this seems like what you feel it the biggest weak point right now.

And then look at moving your JL sub to the drivers and getting rid of the kicker all together. Right now you have the stronger sub in the weaker place. Also the JL W6 is a very in-efficient woofer (83.7db at 1 watt/1 meter).

It sounds great but needs a lot of power. You are not providing that woofer enough power with the 250.1. Make sure the box is built to the JL spec. Maybe re build it under the drivers footwell. Put a larger amp on it, something that can do twice what you have to it now. A SYN-1 for example.

OR

The best way to use what you have right now and save some money. Add a larger amp to the in boats. Then take the 700.5 and bridge the 4 ch section to 2 chs on the towers. And put that sub section on the JL at 2 ohms mono. That amp will do 420 at 2 ohms mono. And 165x2 at 4 ohsm bridged on the tower.

So you could sell the Kicker 250.2 and the JL 250.2 and get the larger 4 ch and have a large improvement in sound.

You would go from a 3 amp system to a 2 amp system but a huge improvement in terms of use of power and also less current draw so you would be using the battery power better.

I would also pull the Jl tweeters. IMHO, it does nothing for the system but pull the balance off.

Then you have a good foundation in terms of power. Next step would be your choice on if you wanted to add some tower speakers and then swap out in boat speakers etc..

Hope this helps.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-17-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
Tim,

Thanks for all your help. I am a little more confused that before but think I understand my options. How much midbass would I get by adding the WS Tower speakers and which ones would be the best option. How would the WS10FA sound versus the Kicker in free air. Is the WS10FA a 2ohm sub and extract the 420 watts from the 700.5? Does WS take equipment on trade?

Heath
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
Heath,

What Kicker sub is SC using? That amp will give you 420 Watts with the 4ohm DVC wired parallel.

Not to talk you out of buying Wet Sounds, or any new equipment, but it really sounds like your in-boat set up is just not dialed in. I've installed and heard this same setup many times, including my boat, and when dialed in, the in-boats are very loud, to the point that I fade them down when I have the volume up for the rider, and the Kicker CVR-10 hits quit nice. The 700.5 also has a Bass control knob that should be installed by the drivers console, is it by chance turned down?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-17-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
I guess it depends on what you are after in terms of mid bass. In the boat or on the tower for the rider. If just more sound in the boat, then looking at the amp options would be the route. If sound for the rider and more volume, then you can look at upgrading the tower speakers. Something like the PRO 60 or PRO 80. Both options would need the amplifier suggestions as above as you would not have enough power as it is now. If more bass is what you are after. I would look at upgrading to a 12 inch woofer, like the XS-12. We have dual 4 ohm in stock, so wiring it in parallel yields a 2 ohm load. We have both dual 4 ohm and dual 2 ohm versions in the XS-10FA. A free air woofer will provide good bass and ease of install but to truly get some serious thump. You will want to jump up to a larger woofer. we don't do any trade ins but wakeworld is a great site to sell off your current gear.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-17-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Tige Mike,
I am not sure what model the Kicker sub is. How would I wire that Kicker in parallel to get 420 watts from that amp? I have not seen a bass control knob anywhere and do not think it is hooked up.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
Heath,

Looking at the back of the sub, you will see what model it is, I think SC uses the Comp VR10". You should also be able to see if it's a 2 or 4 ohm DVC, it should have 2 sets of terminals. If it's the 2ohm DVC, it's probably wired in series and the amp sees 4 ohms and delivers the 210 watts.

looking at the wiring, parallel would be + to +, and - to -, and then a single set of speaker leads going from the a + and - to the amp. The PDF manual also illustrates the wiring.
http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2007/2007%20CompVR%20Sub%20c01%20Web.pdf

If the bass knob is hooked up, you should see a black phone cord looking harness plugged into the amp on the speaker/sub side by the sub terminals. No guess on where it would be located on the other end, but check the lower edge of the dash below the steering wheel.

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2008/2008%20ZX%20550-3%20700-5%20c01%20web.pdf