Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    steveb7            05-27-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
We'll I've been trying to decide between the 2 most commonly mentioned reversible pumps: jabsco ballast puppy and simmer. I've found the jabsco is about 200.00 online and I don't know what type of simer to search for does anyone have a model number or link?
Old     (mattman5000)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-27-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
Simer Blue Water Pump BW85 is the official name.

It costs about $70. The only place I know to buy it a company called B.E. Atlas. I don't have their phone number handy, but you could probably search this forum and find it. I did find one locally at a NH Northern hardware store.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
I think the jabsco pump is the Ballast Puppy. Part No: 18220-1121. The jabsco link is:
http://www.jabsco.com/prodInfoApp/servlet/DisplayItemDetail?itemId=18220-1121&catalogId=Marine&categoryId=JMGEN&typeId=JMGW B

Someone posted this link in a previous thread for the pump. It has yet another part number, that is not found on Jabsco's web site either.
http://store.wmjmarine.com/75-1901.html

I called west marine and he told me he had a 18220-2123. I can't find that part either.

I'm thinking of going with the one on Boater's world. Sounds like a killer deal. BTW: Does NOT come with the switch.

Steve: Sounds like we're doing the same project.

Boatersworld.com has a pump that looks identical, and I called the guy and he checked to see if it's the correct pump and said that it matched the Jabsco part number I gave him. I'm not so sure I trust the customer service phone people there, but it sure looks the same to me and it's real cheap at 139, no tax / no shipping fees.
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langI d=-1&productId=326189

Oops: 134.99 ... even better!

(Message edited by jklein on May 27, 2004)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
I'm going to need a switch that can fill and drain. Anyone have a link?
Old    steveb7            05-27-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for the link. At 135.00 the ballast puppy is a deal. Most places have it near or over 200.00.
I believe the ballast puppy comes with a switch, but if you use a different pump you will need one
Old    steveb7            05-27-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
oops didn't read the whole post before clicking the link. According to what I've read the water puppy does not have ignition protection and is a little slower than the ballast puppy (9.0 gpm vs 6.3)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
So it sounds like the guy at boater's world gave me bad information. Do you have a link between Ballast Puppy and Water Puppy?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
OK. I talked to a guy at Jabsco.

He said that the Water Puppy is exactly the same as the Ballast Puppy except for flow. 9.0 vs 6.3. They're both ignition protected.
Ballast Puppy Part : 18220-1121
Water Puppy Part: 186600-0121

Secondly, he said they do sell the Ballast Puppy to West Marine, and while the pump normally comes with a switch, the one they sell to West Marine does NOT come with the switch. The Water Puppy does not come with a switch in any config.

So, there's your 65 buck difference.
Old    steveb7            05-28-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
that's one expensive switch!! Thanks for the info
I am guessing you can order a factory dash switch from your dealer for less than 65.00
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-28-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
I just got a switch from Boatersworld.com, item # 198410599 for $12. It is a Cole Hersee brand illuminated ON-OFF-ON switch. I'm using it for a different application, so I'm not sure if it works w/ a reversible pump. Somebody here will know. Here's the link:

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langI d=-1&productId=332439
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-28-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
I think you need a three way toggle for fill, off, and empty.

I went to West Marine last night and bought the Ballast Puppy. To my surprise the switch was in the box. Acutally, the switch was in one of the boxes, and in the other box it was not. Who knows. The Ballast Puppy pump actually has a label on it that says "Water Puppy" not "Ballast Puppy", but I also looked at the "Water Puppy" pump and the motors are different, so I'm sure I have the right thing. th epart number is correct 18220-2123. Note: That's the West Marine version of the "Ballast Puppy" and is not supposed to have the switch in the box, but I got lucky I guess.

I'm going to start a new thread because I've got install questions.

Anyway, I've got the pump now and all the parts I need... I think.