Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    shifty_prick            05-15-2003, 11:18 PM Reply   
I'm on the lookout for a nylon wrap around for the front hull for when we tow the boat. We drove a long way to pick up the boat and found ourselves using glad wrap and duct tape to stop stone chips.

Any products or better ideas anyone?
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-16-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
Try building one of these, it works for us. I've not noticed any new rock chips since we've used it. It is made out of common, off-the-shelf parts. Looks pretty dumb unless the boat is hooked up. But if you attach it to the reciever insert, you can take it off very easily.

Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       05-16-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
Looks great!!
You can buy these too. They make 'em for RVs

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm?deptID=5&catID=57&subOf=37
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
Just an FYI. A fellow member of my Motorhome Club purchased a beautiful new trailer and didnt want any rock dings on his trip to Alaska so he purchased stone-guards like above from Camping World. Problem is they were installed too low and almost touched the pavement. This actually caued MORE rocks to fly up and hit his new trailer. After his trip the front of the trailer looked like it had been SAND-BLASTED. Other members of his caravan didnt have near the problem with rocks! Very ironic.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-16-2003, 10:45 AM Reply   
That is a good point Grant! I had thought about putting piano wire or something else to keep the flaps down at speed. Since I haven't picked up any new scratches, tar, etc, I'll keep them like they are! The only time I have gotten anything on my boat was when I turned very sharp out of the storage unit in some mud. My tires flung a little up on on the boat. No big deal though.
Old     (got_river)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-18-2003, 9:13 PM Reply   
I use a product called Enkay Mudflaps to protect trailer and hull. You can't stop everything, but it has done a great job on three different boats over the years.
Old    shifty_prick            05-20-2003, 8:57 PM Reply   
I like the idea of the mud flaps, might work. Tow vehicle is a 2003 Disco and the tyres are brand new, its already put a few chips in the nice new gel coat. We don't really give a the trailer gets a few scrathes, but the boat.... I 24/7 arm guard that thing.

I'll goto the wreckers and try that thanks pwork.