Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (yeldarb)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I stumbled upon a boat that would be awesome. It would be my first vehicle-purchase [without my dad being involved] so I'm a bit apprehensive about the whole situation.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how are used boat sales usually done in the winter? I can't take it out for a test drive because it's winterized and the lakes are all frozen over. If I buy now how am I guaranteed that come spring its condition will be as-stated?

Any tips from you veterans would be great!
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-16-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
This time of year most dealers should be willing to let you put some money down on the boat to hold it until it can be demoed. This is usually around 10 percent. If you demo it and it sucks, then you get your dough back. We do a lay away program at our dealership and it works great.
Old     (jj_your_boat_guycom)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-16-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
How far North are you? If the seller really wants to sell they will offer a test drive. The boat must be driven prior to your purchase! Good Luck.

JJ Bauman
http://www.YourBoatGuy.com
Old     (yeldarb)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Problem is it's not a dealer it's in the local classifieds.

I'm in Iowa, it'd be a looong drive to someplace where I could test drive it.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-16-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
If it's a dealer, once you agree on a price, put down a deposit and sign a buyers agreement that is contingent upon a sea trial and mechanical inspection. Make sure your dp is refundable if the boat fails to be seaworthy. If the dealer doesnt agree to this, find another boat, or hit them back up in the Spring for $5k less if they still have the boat J/K.

If it's a private sale, good luck, i'm not sure what an individual would want to agree to.

Sorry, slow type'r

(Message edited by chpthril on December 16, 2008)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-16-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I have bought a boat in the winter, I had the dealer start it and run it in front of me and they did a full work up on the motor. I also got a small warranty that would cover anything until it was sea worthy. Good luck, there are some awesome deals out!
Duffy
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-16-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
Make the sale contingent on a used boat inspection by a dealer with a good reputation. You can also find out who the servicing dealer was and ask them for the service history on the boat.

You're looking at about $200-300 for the inspection depending on how in depth you want it to be, I would pay the little extra for the compression test.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-16-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
You could have a dealer look at it for piece of mind. I don't know who would pay for the summerize/winterize. Then have a 30 warranty once the boat hits the water. Just a thought.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-16-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
You are dealing with risk. You have to look at the potential of a problem. The likely problems are motor, drive train, steering, electronics. You know about hull and interior, you can inspect those. You can decide what percentage of full value you need to discount to cover your risk. For example, if you think the block is at risk and you estimate a new block installed would be about $3k, you assign a percentage to it - for example 20%. So a $600 from full market value for the risk of a busted block (not asking price). If you can get the boat for the figure you come up with, you have a deal. Yes, this is math, but most business decisions are made this way.

Somewhere nearby you can find a river or cooling pond of a power plant to test the boat. Just make sure it get winterized on the spot!
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
In my ignorance I would say the risk is worth the reward. Boats sold in this economy, in this winter, I believe are well undervalued (at least a 5k diff from what you'll get next summer, if not closer to 8-10k) IMO At least thats what I've been finding. I've been looking since August and I just purchased last week.
Old     (bobby_and_mikey_dad)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-16-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
I don't see what kind of boat it is and how old. For example, sterndrive boats have more to go wrong, with the outdrive, older inboards may be carb and not efi, wood floors vs fiberglass etc... .
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-16-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
if they won't work with you, just walk. they'll have to deal with this issue with any serious buyer.

as this is your first buy, don't get talked into buying without running it. on the hose is not the same as under full load, whether that's getting the engine up to temp or seeing if the transmission/running gear are ok.

a professional survey of some sort would be good but it would probably have a disclaimer that they couldn't operate the boat to fully check it. seems kinda pointless.

you'd ideally want an escrow account for the deposit and a contract. then you wait for things to thaw.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-16-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
If the boat will be less than 3 years old when the spring thaw comes, the risk on the major drivetrain components shifts to the manufacturers and would be willing to by if the seller seems legit and you can have it inspected. You can see if most electronics work and have a compression test done which will be a reasonable, but not complete test.

If it's older boat, then its a trickier situation. You can ask and see if a deposit works until April, but that may not be acceptable. If that doesn't work and it is a fire sale price and the general condition looks good and you have confidence in the owners maintenance and general care of the boat, have it inspected and if it is truly too good to pass up, I would probably buy it knowing I have a couple thousand dollars of savings to pay for any defects. As far as winterization, I have agreed to split the cost if I do not buy the boat, and if I buy it then that is on the buyers (new owners) dime. Obviously there is a risk without a sea test, so the price has to be really in your favor before even thinking about it and you have to willing to roll the dice a bit. If you are the type of person to replace your shoelaces before they break, then buying it without a sea test is not for you.
Old     (scramison)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-17-2008, 12:29 AM Reply   
I have been looking at interiors as a good guide to how well the boat was taken care of. If they took care of the interior you would think they took care of the engine.

Alot of it also has to do with how you feel about the situation. If your gut tells you its the boat then buy it. I have one boat in particular that got away from me but my gut told me something was wrong with it when the dealer wouldn't do a dealer test. Just be patient and don't get caught up in hype or the moment.

If you call on a deal than know that dealers will try to hook and sink you. Can I get a deposit? Arn't you interested? Don't fall for it.
Old     (yeldarb)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-22-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I ended up passing on it. I'm going to just keep my eyes peeled. I have lots of time until summer.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-23-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
You can buy mine and test drive all you like, we don't winterize down here :-) 56k and she's all yours, 08 22SSV
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-23-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
I'm across the state from you on the border of IA/IL. Feel free to come demo my 09 MB Sports which will be fore sale at a nice discount when it warms up!