Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old    bryan_giles            01-27-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
I need to know which is better. I like the looks of the big air better, but I am concerned about the way it lays down. It might not fit under my garage. Does anyone know about how tall the tower is from the ground when it is folded. I know it will be different on different boats, but just give me some good estimates.
Thanks
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-27-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
I can't give you a dimension, but I'll show you a picture. It definitely depends on your boat and where/how you mount it. It this picture, I think my carport opening is 7ft... If I remember correcty, BigAir tells you how much clearance is needed above the mounting bracket... If it isn't on the website, give them a call and they will help you out. They have great customer service!!

Upload
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-27-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
I had a Big Air on my Sea Ray before we traded it in. It was great. Don't worry too much about size, it has enough options for removing it from the boat that it'd be worth the trouble (if the front cotter pins don't lay it down far enough, its just two more cotter pins to to take the top portion off. Or, the four large threaded attachments couldn't be too hard to undo and take the tower off completely. Its a great tower!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-28-2007, 5:27 AM Reply   
I've had them both. Big Air got a bad rep on here for a while, but they seem to be finally getting their due - they're good, not great towers. Mine lasted 3 years and it was fine.

That being said, Monster produces a better tower. Much more study, and lays down so much easier. It has much fewer 'pieces' than the Big Air. Between those two, get the Monster.

That also being said, the Titan 1 from wakeside.com is even better than the Monster, IMO. It's only $100 more, and was an OEM tower for Malibu for a long time.
Old     (sixmilecrew)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-28-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
The Big Air Pylon is much better in my opinion. It doesnt make a sound, never moves. It also looks a lot better than the Monster. The monster has the weird arm connections at the top that looks funny. The Big Air folds down really nice on my Supra, it goes below the windshield height when the legs are off of it. I would without a doubt buy another Big Air.
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-28-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
I like my monster tower. Solid as a rock, never makes a noise, and folds down so I can still use the original cover on my boat. I think what you need to consider is which you like the look of best, because they are both good towers. Once you decide that, you just gotta figure out how to make it work. Both companies have excellend customer service.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-28-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
Gary doesn't know anything, he's from King City! Juuuusst kidding Gary...

Where do you ride?
Old    bryan_giles            01-28-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
I ride in Louisiana, Mississipi, and Alabama. I live on a small private lake, about 400 acres, and we go there a lot. I am a school teacher, so in the summer we go to the rivers in LA and AL as often as possible. It is nice to have a 90 day summer vacation. Its as close as it get to being a professional wakeboarder. It seems like I get paid to play during the summer months.
Old     (sixmilecrew)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-29-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
Mike, I ride on Six Mile Lake.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-29-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
I struggled between a monster, a titan I, and one of the towers from diywake.com. They all look like great towers, and they are all priced right.

IMHO the big air is'nt even in the same catagory.Too many parts and just looks cheap. Granted, I have'nt seen one in person.

I ended up ordering a Titan. I have a Malibu and the titan has a little more head room under the speakers. The diywake tower is definately the most bang for the buck though.
Old    bryan_giles            01-29-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
Greg thanks for the link to diywake.com. This is a really good looking tower for a great price. Does anyone have experience with these. I like them a lot.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-29-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
Bryan, Check this link out http://stores.ebay.com/Precision-Metal-Machining_W0QQsspagenameZFAVQ3aFQ3aSLLRQQtZkm
This guy has everything that diywake has and more. Awesome guy to deal with. His name is Rio and he is the owner of Boss wake. He just gave me a sweet deal on 4 tower speakers,lights,3 racks, and a mirror and arm. I definately could'nt beat it anywhere.You need to call him to see what he has. You can probably get tower and 2 racks cheaper than the other towers alone.

Also, if you want to see more of the diywake tower check out www.buywake.com and look at the Boss knight tower. Its the same tower but they have a pic of it on a Wakesetter.