Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
Quick question about demos. If the dealer lets you demo a boat, and you do not want to buy that boat after the demo, do they charge you or give you heavy pressure to buy the boat? Does a rep go on the boat with you and will they tow you? Thanks
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Depends on the dealer.
Old     (sharkyvonmarks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2007, 10:20 PM Reply   
They can not charge you for a demo... but if they are smart they will get an approved credit app. or a 500.00 deposit (TOTTALY refundable) to make sure they are not wasteing your time or there's.. Most good dealers will have a demo person because the sales guy should not want to take themselves off the floor... Dealers will pull you but you need to realize that it can be a huge liability for them... or at least in Cali.. As for pressure???? they are there to sale a boat so what would you do? As a previous boat sales guy I would make sure we are on the correct boat for you and if we are comparing w/ another product I would insist they show up @ the same time so we can cutt the B.S. a boat salesmen has a small window to make there money for the year so they usually don't like to waste your time or their's... It seems to be a new young bread of sales people today in the industry so good luck and DO DEMO it's important...
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2007, 11:47 PM Reply   
Thanks a bunch Sharky
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-14-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
I came into the dealerships with preapproved loan paperwork so I was obviously not trying to waste anyone's time. I had the MC and Centurion dealership request a deposit for a demo (one was rather large too). Both said that I would have to agree to the price before the demo as well. I walked away without ever getting to demo their boats. If that's the way they treat a potential customer I didn't have much faith it was going to get any better afterwards. Tige, Skier's Choice and Malibu all had no problems demoing without a deposit or a whole lot of pressure, they all had the boat will sell itself once you get it on the water mentality.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-14-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
I would not pay a deposit to demo a boat. Any sales person with worth their salt would qualify me enough to know if it was worth it.

That is a cost of doing business and if they cannot tell who to do demos with and those that are just joy riding then they have bigger issues.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
The dealer should WANT to demo the boat, that's what should sell you on it. I would feel offended if they didn't want me to drive it asap.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-14-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
I wouldn't do business with anyone who hassled me about a boat demo. I'm not going to force the dealer to take my money. And I'd be a bit leery about providing a deposit. Sounds like a tactic used to keep you from leaving. (Sort of like how a car dealership holds on to your keys when they do a trade-in evaluation so you can't just leave whenever you want to.) I might do a fully refundable credit card deposit on the particular boat I am interested in.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Demo w/o payment, never seen anybody who would not demo.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thank You for all of the input