Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Just wondering how people are hooking their I pod's to your system's

I have an ALPINE 9861. It has Alpine's Ipod hook up called FULLSPEED. It's a POS in my opinion. Just like many other Ipod controllers that attach to your Ipod as soon as you connect your Ipod to Alpines "FULLSPEED" connection the screen on your Ipod says ALPINE and none of the buttons on your Ipod work. You have no control of your Ipod at all. You have to use the head units controls to move threw the Ipod and the text on the head unit is real slow coming up with the song titles. And if you try and give me your Ipod so I can play threw my head unit sometimes FULSPEED doesn’t recognize your Ipod because of different software versions in you Ipod. Its just B.S. The problems I hate with my unit are much the same with most every other head unit's Ipod connection. I wish company’s would just provide simple quality Ipod connection that attaches to the bottom of your I pod and charges your Ipod and transfers Audio and Video and leave the rest to me. I can find music on my Ipod way faster and easier with the Ipod in my hand then connected to any Aftermarket Ipod hook up threw the head unit. Now that I’m finished blasting Alpines "FULLSPEED" connection. I would like to say great things about Alpines
KCE-415i it’s a great way to hook your Ipod up to your head unit threw the AUX input. This unit will work with ANY head unit with an AUX input.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=KCE-415i
You hook up power and ground to this unit and run RCA cables from this unit to your Head units AUX input. It will transfer audio and video from your Ipod to your head unit or video screens. The KCE 415i hooks to your I pod with a quality docking connector that hooks to the bottom of you Ipod. I have been using if for about a year and I have had no problems at all. Another nice thing is it charges you Ipod for 20 min's after you turn your head unit off. If any one's looking for a simple clean way to hook up your Ipod I recommend this unit.
How do the rest of you hook up your I pods?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-10-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
i agree its hard to beat an ipod in your hand! i just run a rca to minijack to my aux. sounds great. and its never been a problem. i cant see how you could improve it. i love to dj. you have to use playlists when you use an ipod ready radio.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-10-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
I have a cigarette charger docking station. It has a pass through for the hookup that is on the bottom of the ipod. I run a cable from this to my aux in on my Pioneer deck. This lets me use the ipod to control songs. Works great and perfect, clear signal.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
How many of you use FM transmiter's or the 3.5mm headphone jack at the top of the I pod?

IMO FM transmitter are JUNK. I mean the only reason I think FM transmitters are OK is if your in a rental car or your changing cars every other day where you wouldnt want to invest or install any peice of equipment that you cant take with ya.
FM transmitters are fine for old people as well. Ya know the kind with a hearing aid. LOL

The 3.5mm Jack at the top of the Ipod is again not my faverote way of hooking up a Ipod to a head unit. Reason #1 The volume control. When you use the 3.5mm jack the volume can be adjusted up to high or to low. You have to always make sure the volume is set at the correct level 3/4 volume and or the I pod is set on LOCK.
And #2 If your using the charger port at the bottom your I pod is connected at the top and the bottom making it hard to handle. #3 When you wanna grab your Ipod it seems the 3.5 mm cable always pops out.

When you connect at the docking port at the bottom. You kill a few birds with one stone.
#1 The volume control. It sets the volume control at 3/4 volume so your I pod is set at the right volume and bumping it is not gonna spike of kill the volume.#2 The connection is LOCKED into the Ipod so it dosent come 1/2 way out like the 3.5mm jack does and cuts out a channel or a side.

I have tested a few diffrent Ipod's Nanno's Vs 60g 's and have found that some Nanno's have a higher
output volume than regular Ipod's.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-10-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
My new favorite...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290178307337

converts the line out to 3.5mm headphone
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-10-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
ya do not go with the FM transmitter..they sound like garbage. This is what you need bro. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KGnhjc5yzzy/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=127ICALPA
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-10-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
Similar to the one Mike suggested except it will charge your Ipod too (and is more $$). Charging will continue 20 minutes after ignition is shut down. I have used them mostly on Harleys but should fit your application.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/prodDetail.asp?strProductID=469&strSearch=

Upload
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-10-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
we run ours throught the eq and when you wanna use it just hit the button on the eq (ours says dvd) and then it works. U adjust the volume from the eq only at that point. works perfect
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
Ben; I used to use the Peripheral Electronics Ipod stuff but everyone I installed ended up having problems at the plug. The plug that Peripheral uses are not a good fit it seems to move around after time and causes engine/alternator whine.
Some manufactures use a licensed Apple Ipod connector and they seem to work the best they fit tight and don’t move around in the Ipod and transmit a good clean signal
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-10-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
I use the Ipod to Rca from Navone Engineering.Upload
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-10-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
I use the same as Ben. Works great
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-10-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
Grant - Thanks for the feed back on the peripheral. I haven't had the problem. If the issue is a loose plug I think that a vibrating Harley Davidson would be the first place I would notice the issue. I'll keep an eye out for the problems you described. Thanks again.

Kragga- The Navone products are not something that everyone knows about. Dave Navone is a legend in Mobile Audio. I haven't used it but it looks like a simple and effective product.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-10-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
I use this in my car, it has a 3.5mm aux input into the radio:

http://www.amazon.com/Ipod-Dock-Conn-3-5MM-Cable/dp/B000J022G6

The connecter is just like the factory IPOD cables so it does not wrack the connection like the peripheral jack does.

I also have one just like the one Kragaa has shown.

hmmm, actually I think I have about 10 different Ipod cables... too much stuff.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
The Navone looks like are uses the same aftermarket
style Ipod plug that the peripheral uses.

Ben: Peripheral might have fixed the problem that I described I haven’t used one in over a year. I replaced 3 of them 2 in my truck and one in my boat. My brothers Peripheral Ipod hook up does the same thing as my did engine noise when you wiggle the plug

Another thing I didn’t like was on the peripheral it had 2 wires coming off the Ipod plug one for power and one for signal at the base instead of a solid single cord. Monster Cable pays Apple for the right to use original Apple Ipod plugs. Its just to bad Monster doesn’t make a Ipod hook up like the Alpine or the Peripheral I don’t understand why they don’t I have called them on it and they have no interest in making anything that’s not plug and play. IMO they make some real nice stuff. Monster makes a great Ipod charger
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-10-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
Mike from your link this one looks pretty good
Upload
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-11-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
My peripheral interface was bad out of the box. I even tried putting a noise filter on the 12vdc, no help. Never noticed the plug was bad, but it was the black square type, not the Dynex connector on real Apple stuff. Like the white one in the last pic. I have hacked off connectors from aftermarket Dynex ipod interfaces before, Circuit City sells their stuff.

I have also given up on my new Alpine head unit's Ipod interface. I just unhook the cable, select the playlist, plug it back in:-) I'll have to look at getting that Alpine box.

Grant, how is the video quality out of an ipod compared to a DVD? Can you play video files that are higher than standard Ipod display resolution?
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-11-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I just bought a cheap ipod dock from Honk Kong. It was like $10 US and works great. It had USB/Firewire on the back + 3.5mm stereo port. I like the dock better because you can attach it to your console/dash and just stick the ipod on it and dont have to worry about it sliding around etc.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
Psyclone: The video that comes out of my Ipod looks great. I play videos from my Ipod on to my video screens in the boat. Im not sure the quality if I was to play it on your larger home LCD or Plasma but for the 7.5 inch screens in the boat it looks fine.
On you Ipod plug. For a while you could wiggle the plug or postion the Ipod so you could get the engine noise to go away. Then after time moving the plug around in the Ipod made no differance you would have engine noise no matter what. Im convinced that the knock off Apple plugs that peripheral and others use are crap.
Phyclone what you can do is use the KCA 121b
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=KCA-121B
This would plug into your Alpines CD changer port and give you a RCA imput. You can even change the name of your AUX imput to IPOD#2 or somthing. Then when you hit "source" it will scroll threw your imputs and pick up your AUX imput as IPOD #2. Thats how it works on my system because I dont use
the FULLSPEED connection. BTW you will need the Alpine KCE 415i that I posted a link to in my first post. The KCE 415i cost's like $70 and the KCA 121b costs like $20 so for under $100 you can have a Audio Video Ipod hook up.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
I just had a pair of RCA inputs & a 12v outlet installed inside the passenger side glovebox. Plus I had the factory Sony remote moved from right by the throttle, to the passenger side of the driver's dash. Now someone sitting in the spotter's seat can control just about everything. Plus the driver still has the stereo sitting in the arm rest (what a lame spot to put it) or the remote.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-11-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
volume level your mp3s to 89/90 db and you dont have to go with 3/4 volume on the ipod
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-11-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Grant,
Thx for the info, I want to put video in the boat this winter so I'm gonna get both pieces from Alpine. Definitely the best solution I've seen.

The reason Ipods remain more popular than other MP3 players is because they have the best user interface in the industry. Why reinvent that?

Speaking of, I had no idea how disorganized my Ipod was until I put a transom remote on my boat!

Any suggestions on decent quality low priced video screens?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-11-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
on my alpine I just use RCA to mini... I don't use Ipod so I didn't have a lot of choices
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-11-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
on my alpine I just use RCA to mini... I don't use Ipod (creative zen) so I didn't have a lot of choices...it nice so anything w/ headphone jack will work
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hey Psyclone:
Thats another subject LOL. This Alpine touch screen is AWESOME it will control your head unit and do all the things that you can do on the faceplate of your head unit and work as a Nav unit as well. Im gonna put one of these in my dash.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=TME-M740BT
Hyjack off
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
88201; Your talking about Volume spikes on the files. What I was talking about is when you are pluged into the head phone jack the volume control on your Ipod is active. Unless you have the lock on.
When you are plugged into the bottom plug of your Ipod the volume control is set to 3/4 volume and bumping or hitting the volume on the unit itself dosent effect volume.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       11-11-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have an old ipod mini and it plugs into a belkin charging base. It works great as I have a cig.lighter on the dash so it keeps the ipod in one spot when we are using it. Then I plug an RCA to 3.5 into the base and I don't have to worry about volume issues. BUT, when that ipod dies I will have to figure out something else as it only fits the old school mini's.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-11-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-AV-Cable-Adaptor-for-iPod-Video-Photo-RCA_W0QQitemZ320180603465QQihZ011QQcategoryZ79877Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I use one similar to this that I got off ebay. Gives me video into my eclipse deck and all my controls through the ipod.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-11-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
This has worked really well for me. Its a Harman Kardon drive+play.
I found mine on ebay for $75

Upload
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-11-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
^that's what I use too. It's the bomb diggy!
Upload
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-11-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
I use the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play in my Tahoe and it's great. How hard is it to see the screen in the sun?
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-11-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
Its not hard at all. But I have a Z5 Cargo Bimini that is up all the time.
I have several friends that have the same unit and I havent heard of anyone having any problems not being able to see the screen.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-11-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Is the Harmon Kardon a hardwired connection? I have only seen the FM TX version, knowing how those perform I have stayed away.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-11-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
^Mine is, I know that the make a wireless one though (don't know too much about that one). The best part about the Harmon is that it charges the ipod as well when it is plugged in.
Old     (collin)      Join Date: May 2002       11-12-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
I also use the HK Drive + Play. There is a line out as well as FM modulator, you can use either one. It also has a line in to add another source like satellite radio. Over all I think it works real well.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-12-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Sinko and Brady,
Did you guys find a good way to mount those to the dash, or did you use the provided mounting screws. I would love to try this system, but I am not drilling holes in the dash for something that will not last more than a year or two. Any ideas for mounting?
Any other systems out there that are comparable?
Great thread!!
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-12-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
I just used the 3M double sided sticky pad that came in the package; as long as you prep the spot that you are going to put the remote and the display you're good to go.
Old     (kustomkaraudio)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-12-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
Hey G , I agree with you on the DVA 9861 , The full speed on that deck is hard to use. Its drawbacks are single line display and no percentage jump. It is however one of the best " sounding " decks they make. For a pure Ipod user nothing beats the IDA X001 ( you need a changer to still play discs). The IDax is really fast, sounds good and can run 2 ipods. The new 9887 is a great cd deck , full speed, 2 line display, full bass engine pro ( xover, time correction, etc. ) Anyways you know I love Alpine, any questions call me. And by the way I heard a rumor that the Alpine CES car this year, might not be a car ??
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
WOW Babson sighting: Speaking of Alpine's CES cars Whats up with that WRX looking car on their website.
The IDA looks great. I havent had a chance to use it. When I first saw it I thought I was gonna get it but then I realized I would need a seprate DVD player. It would be cool if the could use the front half of the IDA and the CD DVD MP3 parts of the DVA 9861
Old     (kustomkaraudio)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-13-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
You know Ive got to come out of the woodwork once in awhile! later Scott
Old     (bzmillerboy)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-13-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
I use this USA Spec iPod interface in my 03 Dodge Ram. I did a lot of research on the best solutin and for OEM this was by far the best route. I am not sure if they make an application for Alpine head unit but its worth looking into.

http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html

You can control from the iPod or your head unit. It charges your iPod and includes two RCA inputs as well.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Bzmillerboy:
Yes the US spec Ipod interface is pretty nice. I have installed one in a friends newer FORD. The great thing about the US SPEC units is they are all plug and play. If you can take you dash board apart you can install one of these. The wire harness that US SPEC supply's plugs right into your factory harness you dont need to cut or splice one wire. Easy instalation and works great. I payed like $150 for the whole kit. It was for a 2006 Ford F150
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-13-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
Ya this is an issue for all head units imho. I have a sony w/ the ipod hookup thingy. I wish there was a head unit which would grab and cache the entire list of tracks and songs when you plug it in so you don't have to wait for the next track to get playing as well as get the info on the next stuff to the head unit. I want to be able to browse my music on a head unit without having to actually PLAY it. Amazing how stereo prices go up technology and sound gets better but whoever designs the stupid ass user interface is still the same old technology.

A side rant is how slutty the faces of stereos look. I want to get a nice aftermarket stereo for my truck but don't want the typical ricky ricer "too fast 2 furious" neon blinking seizure anime nintendo BS they all sell (yes even blaupunkt is too much). I can only hope one day we can get car stereos in the same ballpark as home theater style gear w/ multiple in/out custom labels and compatibility for external control devices. and a classy look and feel like HT gear. </rant>
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
Scott If you dont like F&F head units then get the McIntosh head unit then. It looks like it came right out of your dads 1980 Buick Rivera.
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=2&id=33&cat=Control+Ce nters+%26+CD+Changers&prodid=1077&product=MX406
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-13-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
Scott....get an alpine, they don't have all the usless animation on their faces.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-13-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
LMAO thanks! too spendy for my blood but I like the style though. I don't understand why with the advent of removable faceplates someone hasn't made new interfaces to the electronics everyone loves and resembles some maturity(??). I would think the possibilities would be endless.
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-13-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
Anyone tried this one from Monster? It has an aux. output on the dock connector, so you don't need a line in the top of the ipod...It's getting mixed reviews on Crutchfield. I'm looking for ideas.
Upload
Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-13-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
belkin makes a fm transmitter dock that plugs into a 12v outlet works very well much better than the i-trip garbage that plugs into the top. works 4 me!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
I have that exact charger for the car. Its a good one. The Monster logo glow's red when the Ipod is out of power and then it glows orange when its 1/2 charged and then it turns green when its fully charged. The 3.5 mm jack plugs into the bottom.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-13-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
i got the Harman Kardon drive+play on ebay for 19.99 plus 8.00 shipping. If I like the way it works in the boat, I might get one for the truck also. I get tired of messing with my FM transmitter. It will be nice just to take the ipod only out of the truck when we get to the lake.