Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2007, 5:24 AM Reply   
Does anyone have a load speaker/PA system in their boat with the microphone to talk/instruct the rider? I'm looking to put one on my boat. Contacted my local stereo guy who has done some work for me on my amps and speakers and said he didn't think I could use my tower speakers for this. Anyone have suggestions on how to do this or products to use? Thanks.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-15-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
Infinity made a set like that not sure if they still do but I am sure you could.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-15-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
WetSounds has a new EQ coming out with the talk back feature. I am waiting to hear from them as to when they will be available. I think it is the WS 420. Not on the web yet, but was in a brochure I got recently. Don't know cost or ship date yet.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-15-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
WS...... 420
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-15-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
WS-420. Will be shipping by the end of the year. I will post more details when I can and will update our site when it gets close to shipping.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Upload
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-15-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Find a Radio Shack 12 volt mixer and you can set it up yourself. You will need something like a Sony XA-?? switching box to go from head unit to mixer cleanly though.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Peter, would I be able to use my existing tower speakers and amp with the mixer? I have four monster speakers powered by a 300W amp. I'm just strickly looking for something with a mic and volume control; nothing fancy. Heck, a bull horn would be fine if I wouldn't have to turn around toward the rider while driving. Please give more information on how the mixer would work. Thanks.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
This is something like what I was thinking about. Not sure if it would work with my speakers. My stereo guy was concerned about the ohms requirement on the tower speakers. I think that's what he said anyway.

http://www.theavguy.com/vehiclepa/speco-pat20tb.htm
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-15-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
mtx has one that was shown in wakeboard mag or alliance a couple of months ago
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-15-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Close enough to work since it uses 9 volts DC
Radio Shack Mixer

It acts as your head unit would while an RCA switching device controls input to the amp(s). If your boat is set up with the tower speakers on their own RCA input then you can even leave the boat stereo on and just cancel the tower speakers out.

The biggest problem is going to be switching between the head unit and the mic mixer without getting a "bang" out of the system. I have never tried to switch my XA-39 at a high volume level.

If there is another way to get an RCA output mic with a volume control that would be an even better way to go. There must be something out there similar to a karaoke machine, that requires 12 volts DC or less. Might be worth it to talk to a music store that sells guitars, microphones, etc.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2007, 5:22 AM Reply   
Thanks Peter. I think I'll talk to the stereo guy and tell him about the mixer. I'll also talk to a music store. I know when we were at the Orlando Wake Academy, they had one on their boat and it ran through their tower speakers. May check with them to see how theirs is set up.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-16-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
I have used the Radio Shack mixer. Hook it up between the head unit and the tower speaker amp.

That said, people get really stupid and annoying when you have a microphone and a lot of volume.

Rod
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-16-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
if u have a mp3 jack just plug a mic in and ur good
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-16-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
Hey bro I had these on my last boat and they are awesome.Plus they turn 360 degrees. The only reason I dont have them on my Malibu is they will not mount to the tower. The cool thing about the system is that you can crank the music as loud as you want, but when you key the mic the music goes off. Plus the system is way loud!!! Its about $1000.00 bucks at Overtons. Just go to Overtons and type in Infinity PA system. Good Luck!

Upload
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
Rod, can you give me more details in actually hooking it up? What type of mic did you use? Also, how do you cancel the music and use the mic? Was the sound good? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but electronics is definately not my thing.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-19-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
Hook up was simple. The mixer has RCA inputs and microphone inputs. Some mixers have several sets of each but the smallest/cheapest will have one set of each. The output is another set of RCA jacks.

You need to use a microphone compatible with the mixer. Some of the really good microphones need power, which the better mixers will provide. Unless you have a really good singing voice you probably don't need a really good mic and there is little justification in risking a $200 mic when a $30 mic would do just as well. It also helps if the mic has a plug that is compatible with the jack on the mixer. Good mixers would have "XLR" jacks while the cheap mixer would have 1/4" jacks.

Controlling the music verses the microphone is exactly what a mixer is for. There will usually be a "master" volume and then individual controls (knobs or slides) for each input. Want to mute the mic and blast the tune? Slide the RCA inputs to MAX and the mic input to min. Want to shout instructions to your rider? Slide the RCA input to min and the mic to max.

Some mixers have a "fader" slide that will allow you to crank one up while the other goes down.

The cheap mixers can be battery operated which if you don't use it often can be handy. Easier to burn a set of batteries than hook up boat power to it.

A mixer similar to the one I am using is this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=search&summary=summary&techSp ecs=techSpecs&currentTab=techSpecs&cp=&custRatings =custRatings&features=features&accessories=accesso ries&productId=2102920&support=support&tab=summary

That is at Radio Shack, Catalog #: 32-2056 ( in case that URL won't work). $39.99

Rod
Old     (bcard)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-19-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
Here is the Bazooka PA system.

http://www.bazooka.com/product_feature.asp?id=355&pg=2
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-20-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
Rod, where did you get the mic for your system? I'm looking at getting the Radio Shack mixer and it requires a 1/4" jack. Most of the mics I have seen are the 4 or 5 pin connections. Thanks.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-23-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
I currently have an EQ I like but I am looking to replace my head unit next summer with one that has a USB input, but I would like to (the easiest way possible) hook up a PA system and not have to use the bullhorn anymore. I just don't know where to start?
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-23-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
Tim,

is that the pa that in scottys boat? if so, we had a blast with it on sunday. I need to get me one of thoes.
Old     (liv2brd)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
Mr Micrphone
..."Hey good lookin! We'll be back to pick you up later!"
Old     (ebramtlu)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
Jeff that was a custom Hydrotunes install Justin and Trey did with relay's and stuff. Contact me if you want more info on it. I would look into the wet sounds PA system too though, Tim is a great guy and is always coming out with great products.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-24-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
dj, Erik is correct. Justin and Trey pulled a cb that had music tones apart and made relays for the interrupt. I thought the sounds that thing could play was pretty funny. So they can make up up for you. Our WS-420 will be out towards the end of the year.

Tim
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-24-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
wow, thoes guys are good. All I know is that a pa + wetsounds == lots of fun!! you should sell a ton of thoes Tim!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-24-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
Tim,

Can't wait for that to come out. Just what I was looking for. Very nice!

Any estimates on price yet, or are you gonna keep us waiting?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-01-2007, 12:18 AM Reply   
You cant beat the price of something like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/The-Singing-Machine-SMM117-Karaoke-Mixer?sku=241721&src=3WNTWXX

I have a similar product from Radio Shack they dont make anymore. All it does is take the deck input and mic input, mix them and send the output to the amp.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-01-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
Dave: I cant help think the same thing as I laugh out loud.