Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-31-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Epic-Wakeboard_W0QQitemZ290176585961QQihZ019QQcategoryZ 63686QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-31-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Thats cheap! I am sure the dealers are happy to see that advertised!
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-31-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
what does "boat never titled" mean? could that be a red flag?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-31-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
that could mean it was a like a demo or program boat at a dealership
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2007, 5:12 AM Reply   
....wow thats not good resale value.....maybe something wrong with it?!
Old     (surf22)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-01-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
holy mother! i would buy that like...right now if i could!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-01-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
Michael, actually its a great selling point. It allows the new buyer to get a slightly used boat, usually still under factory warranty, for a huge discount. I bought my boat and it was a MC Demo and I have not had any issues.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-01-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
great selling point for that particular boat, i think he meant that it was a bad selling point for new models.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
....yup that was it
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-01-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
Engine make: Volvo
Engine model: Pinta

classic!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-01-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
WhO MAKES EPIC?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Epic is its own company. They have hired Katana Industries in Summerland BC Canada to build their boats for them... Katana build a couple of models of runabouts. www.katanapowerboats.com They show a bunch of different models on the website... the only boats out there right now are 18-22ft ob and io.

The reason Epic liked what Katana had was the resin infusion process... and the fact that it was a small shop that allowed Chris (owner of Epic) to have a more hands on approach bringing the finished Epic to market.

Chris spent many hours in the shop when the boat was first brought up here... just to get little things fine tuned.

The eBay price is lower than what it costs to build the brand new 2008 Epic 23V.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
Byrd.... there is a difference getting a great deal on a demo boat when it is an established company like MC... dealers dont care if other dealers are dumping "one off" inventory to clear the way for new models etc... Its not going to affect resale value.

But as a newer company I would be a little concerned that people are selling off a boat that isnt even broken in... for less than what they are being built for.

But those are the things young companies will run into...

Takes time to build an empire!
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-01-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
anybody want to buy my boat so i can get this one? 07 supra 21v...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
CR you go make an offer of $32000. I will buy your boat!
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-01-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Ham since you are kind of the Epic expert on this board, what do you know about this black Epic???
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-01-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
I would make an offer, but I think that's the ugliest wakeboat on the market.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-01-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
It could be one of theearlier demo boats... the ones they used to work out the problems... ?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-01-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
Cooper- I dont think the earlier demo boats would have ended up in Texas. Also, I would think it would have more than 70 hours.

I would be scared of the engine problems.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-01-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
I would love to have that boat. But funds are limited.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
I know there is a dealer there... and they sold a few... so I would assume that this is a personal owner that is selling through an eBay seller... but on the other hand.. never titled... so maybe it is the dealer selling off the demo and doesnt want to do it through the dealer... who knows... call and find out... and call Epic and find out what the warranty is... and get it IN WRITING!!!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-01-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
I live in TX, and saw an early splash black Epic several times around here, about a year ago. It had a different tower on it, but throwing on a new tower isn't a big deal.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-02-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
It's also on the Austin Craiglist (too lazy to read if that was already posted). http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/443920901.html
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-02-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
Oh I see... maybe that is a MUST SELL...

Because Doug and Giovanni are splitting up. In the event of marital breakdown... the toys must be sold!!!

Why did they go all black... You would think Epic could have done a custom rainbow graphic on the side.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-02-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
I called and here is the scoop. The guy says the boat is in great shape. Wipes it down after every ride, checks the oil religiously, etc. He also says he is a boat dealer and that's the issue with the title. So, basically it's a demo boat. He also said it had been in brackish water... "but only once!"

Then I called , I'll just say.... "someone in the know". He said it was a prototype boat and his recommendation was that it would probably be more trouble than I'd want to deal with. He also told me that the blown up engine to produced units ratio was more like 3 of 15 have blown up or seized. Epic is aware of the problem, Volvo wasn't responding to the satisfaction of Epic, so they are switching engine manufacturing companies.

My opinion is that if you could get an extended warranty to CYA and you like to gamble, it's still a pretty good deal.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Well then lets hope they can build 1000 more units quickly... then the ratio will be 3 blown motors to 1015 boats built.

The ratio I was referring to is that out of the first 5 built.. there were 3 blown engines... of course if you build more... then that ratio will get lower every time.

I would be pissed to have any boat from any company and have a motor blow up on me... very frusterating.

Rumor is... Mercruiser 6.2L MX Black Scorpion.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-03-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
No one should blame Epic for blown motors. How would they know going in that there would be an issue. IMO they show some pretty darn good intelligence by switching engine companies so quickly. I give them props for what they have done so far.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-03-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
It sucks that Volvo won't stand behind their products and provide a solution to the problem.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
i wonder what goes into the decision making on which engine to put in a new model. Wouldn't you think Volvo would have had to approve it's engine for that specific application? Certainly they wouldn't want to put their engine in something that it was not suited for... as failure of the engine in said application would give them a bad name (hence what is happening here). Anyway, just curious how an engine manufacturer and boat maker go about choosing and agreeing to work with each other.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
The original Epic was equipped with the PCM ZR6. But after getting set up with Katana... who builds their i/o's with Volvo... they figured they would go with Volvo... also... they got more motor (size wise) for the money. The very first boat to hit the water... which I was in... So was a rep from Volvo... after 15 minutes on the lake.. we found it was a little noisy.. but that was because they were trying the new side exhaust. When getting back to the dock... there was water in the hull... and a oily consistency... So they had to look into why there was oil... they were in a little bit of a rush to get this boat to DC Shoes.. this was the camo boat... There was a hose of some sort that was causing the leak... so it was fixed and quickly shipped to San Diego for some more demos and promotions.... Not too much longer... the motor blew up...

My understanding... is Volvo is standing behind all the motors except the one that ran out of oil.... And their techs are also trying to fixed the oil starvation/circulation problem... so who knows what they have figured out...

In the meantime... I think Epic is simply trying to find the best solution so they can continue getting boats out on the market.

Hope they figure that out soon... and hopefully we will see more Epics...

Just more R&D... and they are always coming out with innovative new ideas... and creating good alliances with suppliers!
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-12-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
I've seen a pic of an epic with the Merc 8.1
http://www.mbboats.com/gallery/2008%20Epic/pages/2008%20Epic%2023v%20(14).htm

not sure why it's not linking...

(Message edited by lcky275 on November 12, 2007)
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
Does the Epic have trim tabs? Sweet. I like the look of them, but I'm happy with the boat we have now and shelling out for a new one is far too painful... I'm not even sure if they've made their way down here yet, probably not.

-Edit-

I guess picture 12 answers my question, lol. I'm used to seeing the trim switch but only on an outboard or IO.

That stereo install on the transom is pretty mad.

(Message edited by jtnz on November 12, 2007)
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-12-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
on the transom stereo...does the water not hit that part when you slow down, because on any other boat I have been when slowing down it gets wet especially having 4k.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-13-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
Yeah I wondered about that too. On our current boat we have had the wake over the stern before because we slowed down too quick, that was with no ballast...
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-29-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
I just noticed this discussion and i realized that this was the boat that I was dealing on a while back. It was originally being sold by Gary Smith who works for Epic. I could have bought it for $35,000. Doug, the current owner, bought this boat and another one with a buddy of his and they got each under $35,000. Now, he made some updates in the stereo, but it is still a preproduction boat. I also talked with a guy from Atlanta on an Epic that he has for sale and he told me that this black boat used to be his as well until the engine blew and Epic replaced the boat for him. To top it off, this Epic does not have an hour meter; therefore, it is hard to determine how many hours the boat actually has on it.

Just thought I would put my two cents in.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-29-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
transom stereo, does it get wet?
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-30-2007, 4:41 AM Reply   
Does it matter if it gets wet?

I pretty damn sure that Epic would not have used equipment that is not waterproof or protected from water spray.

Also the hour meter isn't much use anyhow. Damn easy to disconnect. Much better off pull the hours from the engines ECU or looking on the perfect pass display.

(Message edited by jayc on November 30, 2007)
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-30-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
Yeah after your warranty is up it matters.

Anyone have experience with these epice transom stereos (the only part of the epic I am not sold on)?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-01-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
The transom stereo at the Pleasanton boat show was simply a bunch of Clarion marine speakers cut into the transom covered by a perforated fiberglass panel. 4000lbs of ballast, I can pretty much guarnatee these speakers are getting a bath every time the boat stops. Do you trust a Clarion marine speaker surround to keep your boat from sinking?

If somebody gave me an Epic, the first thing I would do is pull the speakers out of the transom and glass over the holes then install some real speakers that could actually produce sound the rider could hear up on the tower.

The Volvo motor is a big block Chevy, similar to what tons of big I/O's and Offshore boats use. The big block Chevy lives long as long as you keep the RPMs low, they do not live long at high RPMs. It's a good motor but it will not take the high RPM beatings we give our small blocks. On the other hand, if you wanted to throw $10k to a good motor builder, the big block is the best starting platform. Getting 600+ HP out of an Epic would be much easier than any small block boat. Note that MasterCraft also offers a big block, same applies.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-02-2007, 3:00 AM Reply   
I was thiniking the exact same thing as mikeski on the transom stereo (useless?) IMO.