Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-07-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
Hi guys,

i have a 08 VLX, i want to put extra weight into my rear locker. I want to maybe add extra ballast bags plug and play to my OEM system or remove the hard thanks to replace for larger system.

My question is :

1 - Did the Fly High Pro X Series Jumbo V-Drive Surf Sac dimension 50 x 24 x 24 will dit OVER my hars thank into my rear locker or i will have to remove my hard tank ?

2 - Whats the best option to remove that tank and go with that option or simply plumb over the Regular System for Malibu the Research system dimension 16 x 16 x 42 ... ?

3- I want to have something that i will not have to move or fill manually everything or ANYTHING when we want to switch side ...... and i want a monster wave is that possible, and if yes how ?

I am waiting for your suggestions and thanks a lot

Max
Old     (doogles)      Join Date: May 2004       04-08-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
1. No need to remove hard tanks. The Jumbo sack won't fill completely but you can still use it in the rear lockers.

2. Best Option is to install new fill and drain pumps and plumb the sacks in so they will have their own switches. Second best is a piggy back style system that will fill the sacks once your stock ballast is full. Cheapest option is to just throw a tsunami pump overboard to fill the sacks everytime you need them.

3. Monster wave is very possible with this boat. Tons of information at www.themalibucrew.com in the ballast forums section.

Good luck.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-08-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2522

I am going to put one of those in each of the rear lockers in my 08 VLX
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-08-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
I agree with Chad. You can't remove the hard tanks without creating some major structural issues in the rear locker. We have found that adding a new system to fill and drain the bag seems to work the best. With that said an impeller pump ballast system (ie. Jabsco Ballast Puppy pump or Johnson Ultra Ballast pump) will be the best solution since they are easy to install and don't take a lot of space.

Second best option is to install a Malibu piggy back factory ballast upgrade.
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-08-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
I added the big bag from Bakes in the locker (on my LSV).. can't believe i was surfing all these years without it... HUGE differance. No need to remove the hard tanks. Plus.. this year my wife will be pregnate all summer (due in Sept).. so I am going to sit her on the back corner of the sundeck as extra ballast
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-08-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
I’ve done it both ways, piggy back and removed the hard tank. I personally like the tanks removed far better. On the piggy back, the filling worked fine. The draining was ok at best, had to give the sacs a little help by moving them around. If not, there was always about 100 lbs of water left in the bags, not a huge deal. What bothered me was having the wet bags directly on the carpet. I always ended up pulling the bags out after every trip, and letting them and the carpet dry out.

Over the off season, I pulled the tanks and plumbed sacs directly in. More weight, more storage space, less mess and it works much better than the piggy back. The out pumps are directly connected to the sacs in a similar position as the factory hard tanks, bottom rear of boat. With the boat under power on the way back to the dock, the bow rise helps move all the water to the back and out of the pump. The only down side is the fill lever gauges on the dash don’t work anymore. Not really a big deal, as they are either all the way empty or full.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-08-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_young View Post
I’ve done it both ways, piggy back and removed the hard tank. I personally like the tanks removed far better. On the piggy back, the filling worked fine. The draining was ok at best, had to give the sacs a little help by moving them around. If not, there was always about 100 lbs of water left in the bags, not a huge deal. What bothered me was having the wet bags directly on the carpet. I always ended up pulling the bags out after every trip, and letting them and the carpet dry out.

Over the off season, I pulled the tanks and plumbed sacs directly in. More weight, more storage space, less mess and it works much better than the piggy back. The out pumps are directly connected to the sacs in a similar position as the factory hard tanks, bottom rear of boat. With the boat under power on the way back to the dock, the bow rise helps move all the water to the back and out of the pump. The only down side is the fill lever gauges on the dash don’t work anymore. Not really a big deal, as they are either all the way empty or full.
How do you have more space when the rear tanks are under the floor? Did you actually lower the floor with the tanks removed?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-08-2011, 3:01 PM Reply   
Just bought the piggy back system for the VLX, its been so cold I haven't even installed it yet, but cannot wait to try it!
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-08-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
With the tanks out, there is no support for the floor. The bags are sitting directly on the hull.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2011, 7:17 AM Reply   
I have an 09 V-ride with under the floor rear tanks. I built a false floor, carpeted it, then added the hard tanks from my 04 VLX on top. Plumbed the over flow from the factory tank to the above the floor tank and it fills/drains great. I saw some of the same tanks for sale in the classified for $50 I think. Easy install and works great. I'll post up a pic after I get back from the lake. Just another option with 800 lbs of rear ballast.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-10-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
My set up...
Attached Images

Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-12-2011, 11:14 PM Reply   
Greg that is rad. You have the best setup for sure.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-13-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Thanks.