Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
Anyone gotten a newer boat or thought they were
upgrading but the new boat just was far worse?

I don't have the $$ for new, but we went from
91' hydrodyne ---> 95' Nautique 210 and it was a good choice...but our neighbor went from SANTE to Wakesetter and HATES it

any others like that?
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-09-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
he probably just needs an adjustment period. When you get so used to something and then you change it takes a while to get comfortable again.

how many times has he used the new boat?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
he has about 100 hours on it...most are riding.

I'm with him...the boat was not worth the price tag
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-09-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
What are the problems or differences that he is having problems with?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
The SANTE wake compared to a Wakesetter wake are opposite ends of the spectrum so if he likes the steepness of a SAN then he would probably hate the ramp transition of the Wakesetter. Both are great boats but the wake shape and transition are totally different.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
wake is much softer (yes he has lots of weight)

not a ton of rattles but more than before which makes him mad

in 100 hours has needed to have gauges fixed twice

2 impellers (not boats fault I know)

Ride is far more rough

his biggest issue is how soft the wake is... he is running about 2k in ballast so there should be a little something there

**this isn't ment to be a malibu bashing thread, i just wondered if people ever got a new boat they didn't like

dealer wired his tower speakers
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-09-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
What year and model wakesetter did he get?
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-09-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
maybe he isnt going fast enough or doesnt have enough weight up front
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       06-09-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Soft rampy wake? What year in the VLX? I find this very amusing. We do run at least 3000+ and thats with at least 5 people or so, if we are heading out with just 3 then we add another 750lb sack in the front.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-09-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
Went from an 07 Moomba Mobius LSV to a Supra 24SSV... worst choice ever!

Just kidding!!! I LOVE my new boat and I am only sad I did not go that route in the first place.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-09-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Did he not demo the boat?

It also seems to me that you can make the wake more rigid by upping the speed. Is there some reason he can't run a little faster than he did in his old boat?
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-09-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
I'm with Rick, it sounds to me like he probably didn't ride behind it before he bought it. Chances are that coming from the old 210 hull there are a lot of other boats he wouldn't like too. What version Wakesetter did your friend purchase?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-09-2008, 3:01 PM Reply   
The ride is rougher than the SAN? I find that part hard to believe.

I sold my first boat (an old open bow I/O) to buy a 92 MC Prostar 190, and I was totally disappointed. The old I/O threw a better wake with less weight, and was MUCH roomier. It wasn't as pretty, but it got the job done.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-09-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
Not saying the wakesetter is better than a 210 but some of these points made here are laughable. Everyone knows these boats produce 2 distictly different wakes, usually people like one or the other not both.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-09-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
I like both. You just have to get use to them both. Definitely sac out the wakesetter though.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-09-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
I like and frequently ride behind both (I own a 210). It really cracks me up the way people are always boat bashing on here. You would think from a demo he would have realized if he did not like the Malibu.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 11:53 PM Reply   
i think the main reason he upgraded was for size.
he wanted a wakeboard/party barge... but since neither of us is very smooth with girls it is more a wakeboard thing than a party type thing.

When I pull him the PP says we're doing 24mph whatever that is worth... i notice the same thing as him, it just seems the wake is like a really well shaped mound of mashed potatoes
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2008, 12:40 AM Reply   
Whatever that is worth? Have you verified it with a GPS yet? Did you verify the old boat speed with a GPS?

Upgraded from a 94 MC 205 with 800 lbs of ballast & an Ichor tower, to an 05 Vride with 900 lbs of ballast & the Titan II..... great move all around.

No one has ever described the Vride's (old VLX) hull wake as a "really well shaped mound of mash potatoes". Most boarders get a pretty good rush out of the wake, with only the 900 lbs stock ballast.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on June 10, 2008)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-10-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
I just rode with two pro's and we rode behind a SANTE...both said they wish I had brought my Malibu due to the fact they preferred the wake shape.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-10-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
soudns like a wally....if yrou that much of a wake snob where you dont; like antoher wake you haev to knwo that a SANTE and wakesetter are opposite ends of the spectrum. I wouldn't even need to test drive. I'm sure if he'd never been behind a SANTE he woudl luve the wakesetter wake....give it time he'll adjust.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
No GPS speed but thats what I ride and every boat with PP has been right in there...but again its not all that accurate.

I wouldn't call him a wally but he isn't really dedicated in the least... I love the 210 for the wake-to-wake factor, my knees hate the flats...

what are some of you guys VLX weight setup and wedge placement?
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       06-10-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Depending on how many people are in the boat.

Just 3 - full mls (1250) 2 plumbed in bags on either side of the engine ( 650X2) and 750ish sack in the front. 3300lbs plus full wedge= massive wake that is very solid, we ride at about 24mph at 80ft. Honestly the biggest wake I have been on and have had comments from local "pro" riders that it is one of the biggest they have been on.

Once again what model/year of wakesetter?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-10-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
I have the old VLX hull

5-600 up front
Mid ballast full
2-400 in each rear locker

and no wedge

A malibu wake will generally have a bit more ramp in comparison to a 210 wake...so I would say you really need to wait for the pop and edge all the way to the top of the wake. I have been told the newer VLX's(05 to current) has some more lip in comparison to what I have.

we ride anywhere from 22-25 mph and 70-85 feet depending on rider
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
07 VLX
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-10-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Man, the guy was not even saying anything bad and all the Malibu people go crazy.

I don't have any real input on this subject because I have a 210 so I am biased. But my question is do you need to go 24 mph to get a good wake...is that true? Since I am a beginner I can only go 19-20 mph so does that mean that a Malibu would have a bad wake?
Thanks
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
thanks erik...someone got it.... malibu owners are just like that I guess

THAT WAS A JOKE MALIBU GUYS
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
When you start making comments about PP speed & "whatever thats worth", then go into how bad a certain boats wake is (despite the fact that that particular boat is known to have a better than average wake), it makes people wonder where you could possibly be coming from.

Perfect Pass does not show accurate speed till you calibrate it, even check it once in a while because it will change.

I haven't riden behind the 210 at all. But if I owned one & was thinking about upgrading to ANYTHING..... I'm thinking that I'd test drive the new boat, even ride behind it, to be damn sure I'm going to be happy with it.

Just a few things that stood out as being a little odd.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
"PP speed, for whatever thats worth" = IT IS MOST LIKELY NOT 100% CORRECT, SO THE SPEED I AM SAYING IS WRONG.... wow you decoded what I said.... nice work, I wasn't sure if the mystery would ever be solved. Pat on the back bud.

I DIDNT BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT A DEMO. My neighbor bought the boat, my neighbor didn't test drive things, my neighbor hates it. I get free pulls, its a great boat to me.

THE POINT OF THE THREAD:

ANYONE BUY A NEWER BOAT AND WISH THEY KEPT THEIR OLD BOAT

Thanks.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Nice.

Yea, answered it. And then got my ass chewed for it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
prob just time this thread gets pulled off...its only going to get worse and I don't want enemies.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Nick, this is merely an attempt to try and help, but do you know the ballast system your neighbor has and if it has the wedge? My roomate has an 08 VLX and happens to be a pretty good rider. I am a very crappy rider. The thing I like best about the boat is the stock wake with full ballast and wedge. One thing I have heard is that the 4th tank bow ballast is a must if you are going to use the wedge. Does your neighbors boat have the quad ballast or just the triple ballast? If he doesn't have the quad ballast have him put 300#'s or so in the bow under the seats. This should firm up and clean up the wake. The wake is outstanding for stock. It actually has a defined lip and good transition. One thing I really like about the wake is that a crappy rider like myself can ride at 22 or so and a shorter length and have a lot of fun and get booted at the same time, while my roomate Bret V can lengthen out the line to 80 feet and speed up to about 23 and go out and just kill it. The other day he rode with the stock ballast full, the manual wedge down and about 6 people in the boat and was going absolutely huge. Man do I like being in the boat when a rider like him is riding.

I hope this helps your neighbor get his boat setup.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
I have the 2007 Malibu VLX

the wake is awesome at any speed over 17

but if you wanted lots of room, a 21' boat probably wasn't a good choice
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
No, I was extremely happy with my upgrade from a 20' Procraft (outboard) to a Malibu 23LSV .

I have a friend who is unsure of his upgrade from a '04 VLX to an '08 Sanger V230. He loves the boat itself, but has had many problems (some self-inflicted) so far.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
I believe I downgraded in price but upgraded in the boat. I recently sold my 2004 Cal-Air and bought a 2000 Moomba Mobius V. Although the Calabria was a nicer boat it was smaller, didn't have as good of a wake, had a smaller stereo, was a direct drive and took water over the bow like it was a submarine in it's past life.

I paid 29.5 for the Calabria in august 2007, sold it in march of 08 for 31.1 and then bought the moomba for 20,750 about a month ago.

(Message edited by polarbill on June 10, 2008)
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-10-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
Once I went from a 2001 Super Air to a 2003 Super Air and regretted it. Don't know why really but I just was not that impressed with it.