Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-24-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Well, I was out on the lake tonight. There is a 25mph wind so there was only a small stretch of shore that was ridable. Halfway through my set a guy comes out on his dock and starts yelling and waving his arms at us. I didnt think much of it, and keep on going. We came back and he was having a sh*t attack so i throw the handle and ask him what he wants. He starts yelling at me (and my dad driving) about how we are wrecking his roll in dock with our wake and we should go out in the middle of the lake. We said no, this is the calm spot we are riding. He just gets pissed and starts yelling some more. So we just leave and go home.

A little background on us. We live on this lake all year we own the most lake shore and are the first ones on the lake and the last ones off the lake every year. We ride just about everyday. We are nice to everyone, ,dont crowd the fisherman or anything. We where a good 100yds from his dock. We drive a 17ft I/O with one person and no sacs= zero wake.

Does anyone deal with people like this? Are we in the wrong to ride the calm water on a public lake?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-24-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
In VA, there is a mandatory 50 foot no wake zone from all docks. So, if you're riding 100 yards from his dock, he would have no right to chew you out, as beyond that you're free to do what you please. He's just an angry old man who probably doesn't have any friends.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-24-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure unless you need to keep on this guy's good side that because it is a public lake you can ride anywhere [legal] that you want and he can't do a darned thing about it. I would.

Don't quote me on that though.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-24-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
we should send a sacked out star to your lake for a week and see the look o nthis guys face when you roll past his place that would be great
Old    meyerb            05-24-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
He probably was putting you in the same bucket as the other wakeboarders who have weighted down boats and go close to the docks.I used to live on a lake and know how frustrating it can be. People are crazy and live in their own reality. Too bad ours is better! haha
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-24-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
does he yell at mother nature for blowing wind that make waves on "his lake" too? sounds like this guy has watched "ON GOLDEN POND" a few too many times.. unless there is a buoy posted or no-wake zone enforced, that guy needs to understand that the lake is there for all to enjoy and he has no right telling you where to go.. you and your dad need to get versed on the local ordiannces and then next time he starts shouting, ask him if he understands what it entails to owning a dock on a body of water that he doesn't own and if that doesn't work, threaten a citizen's arrest for him disturbing the peace and attempted assault... that'll shut him up.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
Just give him the one finger salute. Keep on riding the butter, a long as you stay far enough away from docks and follow the law he cant do a damn thing. Just let him yell and wave his arms on his dock and laugh at him. Hes just wasting his breath and time.
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-26-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
Wait back to second post here....He said he was 100 yards? 100yards = 300'. Nick, so if you are saying the 50' rule is in effect in VA and he has the right to yell do the math first my friend.

Ride on my buddy, and moon his a$$ the next time out!
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-26-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
Jeremy: Read it again

Just keep riding and don't give him the time of day.
Old     (rocketdogg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-26-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
If you had waited a bit longer he would have gotten distracted and ran out front to yell at the neighbor kids to get off his lawn.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
spray him with water. your rope should be long enough to allow you to cut out and spray him and still have the boat 50 ft away.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-26-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Wave and smile.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-26-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Have your dad swim over to this guys dock and whip the guys a$$ if he puts up a attitude.
Old     (wake_to_wake)      Join Date: May 2007       05-26-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
thats when you trade the wakeboard for the surfboard and kick up some really big stuff
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-26-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
I had a guy bring pull out his shotgun on us one day. It was pretty funny.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-26-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Haha yah had dudes throw rocks at us before. Cant help pissed off people they're just mad cause were having fun and their highlight of the day is yellin at a couple of wakeboarders