Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-08-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
I have an 06 X30 with the MCX engine. Today I started hearing a clicking sound from the engine. Before today I noticed a fair amount of water in the bilge after use, but I wasn't sure where it was coming from.

Today I checked the engine when the boat was running and I saw water spewing out of the black pipe on the starboard side of the engine.

Any idea what caused this? And how hard it is to fix?
Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-08-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
You can see in the last pic above what looks like welds on the pipe that cover something, but I dont know what. But it appears that one gave way and is obviously allowing water to come through where it shouldn't be.

Anyone seen this before?
Upload

Upload
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-08-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Went back and took another look at the exhaust, looks like salt water ate a hole through it from the inside out. Looks like its doing it in more than one place as well.

The boat has 170 hours on it and is 2 years old. Never stored in the water and always sealed for the winter.

Anyone seen this before?

(Message edited by drewdown on June 08, 2008)
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-08-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
yea its fairly common for salt water, I have went through a few on my boat.Do you flush the engine after every use? This is the best way to extend the life of both the risers and exhaust manifolds.

I would recommend changing both of them out, should be about $180 for both risers and the gaskets if I remember right. Four bolts on each hold them on.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-08-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
Nah I don't flush the engine out after every use. Where do you get your replacement parts from?

The 4 bolts, are they easily accessible? From looking at the top of the engine I can see a couple of them.

You think this is covered under warranty?

Thanks Jeff.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-08-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
nope Mastercraft dose not cover normal salt water wear and tear for any component. It may be worth a try to call your dealer and ask, but I highly doubt it. I defiantly would just go ahead and replace both risers, its cheep insurance to make sure you have a good season.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=53-2027
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OSC992-G

I don't know the exact part number for an mcx, Who makes that motor? you can always go down to the local marina and ask them. Skidim is a little expensive, but has awesome customer service. They will walk you through the install.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-08-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
Indmar. They look smaller then mine and mine curve up and into the engine. One huge piece. Those are the parts I need?

Maybe its just the picture.

Thanks man.

(Message edited by drewdown on June 08, 2008)
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-08-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
You have etx manifolds from indmar, which will be your only source for those manifolds. I do not know how much they cost but would assume it is more than $200. I would suggest flushing the engine after use it is the best preventative maintenance you can do for a salt water boat.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-08-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
no those aren't your exact manifold you need, it was just to give you an idea. If you call skidim, or your local MC dealer they will hook you up with the right part info.

What year is your boat, that might be the new catalytic convert that they are putting on the engines.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-08-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
Thats what I thought. I emailed the dealer today so I should hear back from them tomorrow. If its the cat then it should be covered under some kind of warranty!

2006 X-30.
Old     (kyboatworks)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-08-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
No cats on your boat. They didn't come out until '07.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-09-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. Chris, I saw the etx manifold sticker on the side of the other one but couldn't remember the name after I covered up the boat.

Thats what I need then.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-09-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
It is covered under warranty, MC is replacing the aluminum manifolds with cast iron ones. Dealer is ordering the parts and expect them to be here this week then a week and a half in the shop. So probably 2 to 2 1/2 weeks without the boat.

Which sucks. :-(
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-09-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Just get some JB weld and slap that on there. should be ok if you keep an eye on it for a week. I'm really surprised its covered under warenty, but props to MC and indmar on that.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
yea, etx exhaust was out before etx+cat so I would bet you have the etx. They are aluminum, so it should of lasted longer than 2 yrs. A lot of the other exhaust manifolds are steel so I can understand that, but aluminum??
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-10-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
Yeap. My dealer said they had already replaced 3 sets of them this year alone. Said its a big problem with MC boats in brackish water.