Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-08-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
Last thursday I spent 4 hours in the ER with my first ever concussion. I was trying to take my tantrum up more, over rotated, and caught my hs edge...slam. Anyway I wasn't knocked out but just stupid, couldn't remember my birthday, glazed over eyes, etc. I lost my short term memory (still don't remember being on the boat or going to the hospital).

My question is this, in the past, I've only worn my helmit when hitting sliders and kickers. Should I wear it when I get back on the water in a few weeks, or would it help protect my noggin at all against the water...would like to avoid getting a second concussion any time soon.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-08-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
A water hit is a water hit, helmets don't do much on it.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-08-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
I would for a while.....getting your first is like breaking the seal. You'll be high risk for more for a while until you completely heal up. Sounds like you're trying to go bigger too, so no need to risk getting more during peak season and have more down time.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-08-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
i still get concussions with the helmet on, but never as bad as the ones i seem to get with it off.
Old    stoked27            08-08-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
I've made a habit of always riding with a helmet. I think I would have had so many more concussions if I hadn't started wearing the helmet when I did. I use the ear flaps though, and those have saved me pain just as much, if not more than the helmet.

If you're afraid of looking stupid then you're riding for the wrong reasons. Just use a helmet for a while to be safe. Sorry about the fall, I know it's no fun.
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-09-2006, 5:53 AM Reply   
Tyler - have you had concussions or serious hits with no helmet and then rode with a helmet and had the same falls? I doubt it because if you had you would not make that statement. I have had 2 concussions without a helmet (1 pretty bad) and have taken multiple falls just as bad with a helmet and came out of it with nothing more than a headache.

I highly recommend riding with one if you are a rider that tends to get off axis/catch an edge more than others. I will not do any riding that involves jumps without wearing one now....the only time I do not wear one is when I have my one of my kids on my board with me.
Old    alanp            08-09-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
wear a helmet. it'll help a ton or walk around like ali
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-09-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Get a Shred Ready helmet, best I have found on the market.
www.shredready.com
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-09-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Tyler, have you ever worn a helmet?
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-09-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
Jeff, there are several different models at Shredready. Which have you found to be best for wakeboarding? Thanks
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-09-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
what does it mean "a water hit is a water hit"?

Might be a different type of impact, but in the end, a helmet is protection against impact. I'm not sure what I'm missing.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-09-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
I used to ride motocross and dirt gives alot less than water...and helmets help there!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-09-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   

A water hit is a water hit, helmets don't do much on it

That is just a stupid statement...

Of couse helmet help, they are not 100% protection but it lesson's the blow..
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-10-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
Les I ride the Shaggy composite and I also sell the Viken composite for the Ladies and the Super Scrappy plastic.
Old    bocephus            08-10-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
You haven't see the benifits of a helmet on the water until you have been at Firebird for the drag races and see a guy come out of his boat and go 100 yards down the lake on his head. It helps!
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-10-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Thanks all, I'll definatly be wearing the helmit for the rest of the season. I bet I'll get some strange looks from the wally's! The shred's look much nicer than the pro tech I have, if I tear it up I'll have to check those out more.

(Message edited by siuski on August 10, 2006)