Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-06-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
I was heading out today and my engine temp started climbing. I turned it off and let it cool down turned it back on and headed to the dock until the alarm went off and then i turned it back on and it started cooling down and went back to operating temperatures, i touched the manifolds and they had cooled back down, my guess is that it had something stuck in the intake. Anyways i decided to change the impeller just incase and when i went to turn it back on the engine won't start. It turns over but its not igniting. My guess is a) its not sparking or b) it isn't getting gas. I don't know if it has anything to do with the impeller problem.
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
After an oil change, one time, our boat wouldn't start. It was turning over fine just couldn't get any gas. My dad had some kinda jet fuel stuff you spray into the intake and it fired right up. Don't know if this is your problem but if it is the stuff we used worked very easily. I'll ask him what the name of that stuff was.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
Nothing at all. Check for spark and check for fuel. Unless you disconnected the coil before you did the impeller or something.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-06-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
how do i check for spark and for fuel pressure?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-06-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
Shadetree technics:

spark: take the coil cable out of the distributor and place it near some metalic object, then give little cranks to the engine and you should see some little spark.

Fuel: take the fuel line out of the carburetor or wathever you have and crank, check if fuel is spitting out of the line.

(Message edited by luchog on March 06, 2008)
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
I know that this is no where the engine compartment, but more than one weekend mechanic has bumped the kill switch and that will lead to your problem EXACTLY! I hope that is your problem,very easy fix>
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-06-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
the above before all!!!!!
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-06-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
I third the kill switch, typically your dash guages will not work if the switch is tripped and alerting you that something is wrong.

Was your impellar bad when you changed it? If not, you may have another issue on your hands such as a clog somewhere (proboblly in the tranny cooler) that will need to get cleaned or your boat will continue to overheat. If your lake has a lot of silt or weeds you may want to install an inline strainer.

You can usually hear your fuel pump prime for about 10 seconds when you turn your key on, if your pump is not priming this could be your problem with starting.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-06-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
Kill switch for sure if you have no fuel gauge its your kill switch. Push the kill switch lanyard in hard and see if that works.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-06-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Could be the in-tank fuel pump. there should be a large diameter tire valve stem looking thing on top of your motor, turn it over a few times and then press the center to push the valve in, if gas doesnt come out, you need to replace the fuel pump.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-06-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
my gauges are working perfectly, does that rule out the kill switch? What does the fuel pump sound like?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-06-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
ok i just put the key to the on position and i can hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds so is the fuel issue ruled out? Could the engine not starting be due to it overheating?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-06-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
my spark plug wires look pretty worn, could that be the cause?
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-06-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
I say kill switch, been there before
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Plug wires would more than likely cause a miss, not a full kill. Especially if it was running fine before. The kill switch would cause an ignition cutout so I would say make sure your kill switch is in the correct position and then go for spark. If you have no spark and the kill switch is fine, I say look towards the coil, because they are an either work or not item on an engine.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-07-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
ok its not the spark (checked it). I put a tiny bit of gas under the flame arrestor or air filter or whatever it is (fuel injected) and the engine start it up. So does this mean its the fuel pump? Or could it be the injectors? Are there any local places that sell the fuel pumps cuz i would love to have the boat for the weekend? DO auto part stores sell it? Its an electric fuel pump by the way o6 mastercraft rtp-1
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-07-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
06 Mastercraft??

Go to your dealer, you still have warranty on it.

If you wanna check the fuel pump, take off the high presure fuel line. Put 12V on the fuel pump and see if their is fuel coming out. Measure the amount of fuel to see if the pump is alright. It should fill a quarter gallon bucket in 30 seconds.
Also check the fuel pressure at the high pressure rail, their should be a blow out valve (same like a tire ventil). When cranking te engine fuel should be spilling out.
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-07-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
fuel filter
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-07-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
I also second corey kings idea to check your tranny cooler I have had that happen several times.
Old     (unclej)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-07-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
^^^^^ I second what Tom said!!

That's why you bought a new boat! Don't waste your time with stuff like this. Take it to the dealer, get it fixed--then get back out on the water....
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-07-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
its not under warenty though, its 2 years old. I bought it the first month that x2s came out. The only warrenty is on the actual engine
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-07-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
manny,

why don't you post this over on tmcowners.com
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-07-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
they didn't give three years on everything on 62k boat?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-07-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
nope its kind of rediculouse everything is one year other than the hull and engine. The funniest part is that in the first year of ownership not a single thing broke. It hits a year and everything starts breaking.
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-07-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
I would call and check on the warranty if its fuel related then it is probably covered. unless it something stupid like the kill switch, pluged fuel filter, no gas in the tank. if it is injecters,computer, pump or anything else mechanical I would hope they would cover it.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-07-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
what else has broke? I would call the dealer and see if he wouldn't step up and fix that on the house. Let us know what the problem is.
Old     (cody_08_lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-07-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
its a mastercraft thats y its messed up baha
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-07-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
You might have to take it in. If it was overheating the computer may not be allowing the engine to start anymore until it's checked out. I've had this happen on a Merc.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
Doesn't the kill switch kill the electric fuel pump? If so, then he shouldn't hear the pump running when the switch is turned on...if it is a kill switch problem.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-07-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
ok I was able to get the engine to turn on for a sec by putting a teaspoon worth of fuel directly into the intake manifold. So the engine will start it is just not getting gas. On the injectors right after the fuel hose there is a little valve that when pressed during cranking of the engine should shoot out a little bit of gas, it doesn't. Anyways I removed the fuel pump and ordered a new one as i dont see what else it could possibly be. Mastercraft uses an intank pump and filter and there was a bunch of gas after the filter so that can't be in. Plus a week ago i ran out of gas and kept starting the boat so i could get home so that was probably the reason. A new fuel pump gets here tomorow so i'll see what happens
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-07-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
I was just getting ready to ask if you ran out of gas lately. If you do, 90% of the time your fuel pump will die very soon. The pump is cooled by gas and burns up quickly if run dry. There is a lot about this on tcmowners.com. Another tip is that the fuel is only filtered for the bottom 1/3 of the tank and if it plugs up, you will damage the pump as well. I never allow my boat to get below 1/3 of a tank just to avoid this.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
I hope it works out for you, but there is so much more (less expensive) things that it could be then the pump. I hope you checked ALL of the small things first.

I hope you get back on the water soon and if it was the fuel pump, take it to your dealer, that thing should be covered with the rest of the engine for 3 years.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-07-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
Manny,

It likely is your fuel pump. Problems with the fuel pump, especially pre-2006 MC, are well described. If your boat is just a few months out of warranty, MC will often replace for free. As you indicated, the overheating should be unrelated.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-07-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
They should fix it if it is the fuel pump. Normal fuel pumps do not burn up unless ran on empty several times. One time is crazy, especially on a 50k boat, and especially when it doesn't show empty on the gauge.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-08-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Go to your local dealer. Be the squeaky wheel.
Trust me, if you have yet to install the new pump, MC will warranty it. Give the factory a call, talk to the war-ranty department if your local dealer/service will not help you.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-08-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
If they look on here and found out he ran it out of gas they probably won't replace it. Running the boat out of gas probably caused the pump to burn up. Warranty or none at all it wouldn't cover him ruining the pump. I have a few friends with 05 x2's and both of them have had to replace pumps. One of them 3 times but he runs his boat hard when they barefoot.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-08-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Ok i replaced the pump and now its runing perfectly. I actually found on the TMC forum that you can replace the pump with a GM part, I bought that for only 90 dollars and now its perfect.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-08-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Cool sounds like you found it cheap
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-08-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
good find you would easily paid double that at a boat dealer
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-08-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
from mastercraft it's 500 dollars and it only took me about an hour to do lol
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-08-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
Glad to hear you're back on the water. Wish we were, it was 8 degrees when I left my house this morning!!!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-08-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Damn, I'm good. I'll send you a bill for diagnosing if for you, lol...

Actually I've had to replace mine as well. Mine was still under warranty but I did have to swim the boat in at night in February.