Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (zjs)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-18-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
Any riders in Fort Myers, FL?
Old     (shaunwake)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-18-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
yeah i live in naples where in fort myers do you live
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 5:59 AM Reply   
hey i go to school in fort myers and i really need someone to ride with
Old     (shaunwake)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
well i ride at th calusahatchee river somtimes who have you ridin with and do you go to fgcu because there is alot of riders that go there
Old     (zjs)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
I live in Bonita, but go up to the caloosahatchee also just trying to know the locals and keep the peace out there share lines or ride times you know lotta boats sometimes you ride between the locks and I75?
Old     (shaunwake)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
no between the franklin lock and the other one the fresh water side the side that you have to take the back road to
Old     (zjs)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
where do you put into the water?
Old     (shaunwake)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
franklin lock left side
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-19-2007, 6:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for the posts guys. My family and I are moving to Naples in a couple weeks and have been trying to find some areas close by- I'll have quick access to the Gulf from the Cocohatchee River. About how long does it take to get to the Caloosahatchee River from North Naples- trailering?

Any other good areas to ride that are close- don't worry if it's a secret place, no one else is reading this...
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
I got to FGCU and i really havent met any wakeboarders or anyone that rides from around the area..
ive been dying to ride up here im willing to drive anywhere too and pay for gas
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Ron, I think it should be pretty quick once you get on I-75. Take a look at mapquest....

Looks like about 25mi on the interstate.

(Message edited by fly135 on September 20, 2007)
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
Thanks John! (You've helped me before.) I'm here in Naples for a short time and looked at the quick route to the Gulf from the Cocohatchee and the Gulf was pretty darn calm earlier this week. Nicer than any lake I've seen in the Sacramento area! (no I'd never say that about the Delta or Sac River!)

Talked to a guy at West Marine in North Naples and he said there is a channel near Naples Bay that may be good as well. (Need to get a chart/map).

But a longer treck to Ft. Myers might be in order as well...
Old     (zjs)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Ron, I live off exit 116 in Bonita and have been going to the ramp at the city pier in Fort Myers. Takes me maybe 30 minutes, 40 if I have to gas up. When you get down here post, I,ll give you directions. Shaun let out a new place for me, probably another fifteen ride time. Where in Naples, I work down there, can give you an idea. As far as the Gulf, I will do a sunrise check before I launch on most weekends. If I hit the Gulf, between the north and south beaches of Pelican Bay are usually vacant, nobody but walkers and even less boats anchoring on the beach, water can get blown out by 12:00 or so, so the earlier the better.
Old     (shaunwake)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
i live at the quary and i uaslly ride here in my lake but i go to the callusahatchee alot when i go to the gulf i go to kee waden, it takes me about 45 mins to get to the calusahatchee and i dont have many spots other than my lake because its pretty much private and glassy, nick private message me and give me your number i can introduce you to the wakeboarders at fgcu because that is who i ride with they are all pretty much gator board pros
Old     (zjs)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Yeah nick, if you need a ride you can tag with us once in a while, but don't show up us old guys too bad.
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
zach..any chance to get out on the water would be awesome i would love to ride with you one day..i just love wakeboarding im not like amazing and i probabally wont show anyone up!
Old     (giff)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-24-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
I live in Naples and ride on the Caloosahatchee river also. We actually have a place in Alva and are there on most weekends from October to April. The river is a great place to ride, usually calm and not too many boats. The freshwater side (East of the locks)has fewer boats and I can't imagine ever getting into a position where you would get in someones way. Ron, there is a place just south of Naples Bay where a lot of people ride, also down at the south end of Keewaydin Island. I can get crazy on the weekends though. The river is a much better place to go in my opinion.
Old     (daverideswakes)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-27-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
I live in Naples, but go to school at FGCU.

I don't have a boat strictly designed for wakeboarding, but it puts up a decent wake when the bait wells are filled (hey, better than nothing). My little brother and I are always looking for a third.

If the gulf is calm, that's ideally where we like to go. Otherwise, we go through the channel that leads south from Naples Bay to a stretch that is out of the channel, but still deep, near Little Marco. Great spot, but a bit busy during the weekends. When that's the case, we wrap around to the other side of Little Marco, which doesn't have thru traffic (just 1 or 2 other wakeboarders or tubers doing laps).

Shoot me an e-mail if anyone is interested in a pull. Hell, shoot me an e-mail if you've got a boat and looking for people, too.

Nick, I've already sent you an e-mail.

(Message edited by DaveRidesWakes on September 27, 2007)
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-01-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys! (been away from WW as we are packing and prepping to make the move this coming weekend. The boat gets shipped tomorrow.)

We are going to be living in North Naples, but working in Bonita/Estero.
Since we are so close to the Sac River here now in Cali, we would obviously like to be close to the nearest access to water when in SWFl. But I know we'll try to explore all of our boarding options.
I'm a little paranoid about taking our boat into salt water, but have been told it only takes a little more A.R. time then I already take now. (Hope that's true.)
By the time we get settled into our house, I'm hoping to get out on the water before Oct. is over and the crowds arrive. I'll keep you guys in mind for some insider/local knowledge. thanks again.
Old     (zjs)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-03-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
Got your PM. Get settled and we'll hook up. Good luck, see you then.