Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Man, I can't stop buying wake DVD's. Everytime I see a trailer with one or two tricks I've never seen before, I have to buy it. DS2, The Good Times, and, soon to be, Bent Felix are just the most recent. I love seeing the top guys really pushing the sport whether it's by landing (or even trying) something completely new or just a supersized version of a pre-existing trick. For instance, Sean O'Brien was crazy close to a Big Wurm 1080 in the Good Times, and there were about a dozen other times I had to pause and slow-mo his section just to try and figure out what the hell he just threw. I'm a orlandowake.com veteran, but SOB still managed to keep it fresh; I can't wait 'til DS2 gets here today. I'll be pre-ordering Bent Felix whenever I can find a site willing to take my money. There's no way I can miss out on a video with a Danny Harf blind Pete 5, Chad Sharpe's insane indy glide with a tweak thrown in about 20 feet up, and Shawn Watson's, uh, I don't know (it looks like a variation on a ole 9). Maybe I'm just weak, but these things are addicting.

Anyway, my question is, for those of you who actually know a big-name pro or two, what does a free-ride set consist of? I know there was an article on here a few months ago about Andrew Adkison practicing for an event by throwing a couple dozen 7's, 9's, and everything else in his contest arsenal and only falling once or twice in an hour. However, I've always heard that, when free-riding, pros fall more in one set than you and I do in 10. Is that basically how it goes? They get their "warm-up" tricks in early and then spend the rest of the time trying to land something new or dial in something the just learned? Oh, and congratulations if you read the entire thread without dozing off.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-18-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
zzz....

I've been slacking on my collection, but yea, addicting as hell. A little twist on your q, how many times do skaters fall working something new? been riding the skate a little more and it seems like if you're off a tad, you bust. although am learning to recover a little better
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-18-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
i had every single wakeboard dvd up til this year :-(
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
You sure its not a big johnson?! I highly doubt Sean's throwing a big worm 1080 variation..
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
Paul, his right (back) foot definitely made 3 full rotations back to its original position. I honestly don't know the exact definition of a Big Wurm (a TS flatspin, or whirlybird, ole 5?), so maybe it was something else, but it was no doubt a 1080 degree rotation. A Big Johnson is like a Big Wurm 9 right? He had that down easily off the wake and the D-UP.

He also landed his KGB 5 and had a sick nuclear mody dick.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
a big johnson is a big worm 7 (ts frontroll with ole 7)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
Ok, then he did two Big Johnson 9's and one attempted Big Johnson 10 (no doubt called a Big Lebowski)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
im sorry but i really don't believe that he tried a big johnson 10 nor a big worm 9, i think you are confusing a big "lebowski" with a big johnson and a big johnson 9 with a big worm
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
i can see how it's hard to believe, but i'm watching it right now in slow motion. he leaves the wake toeside on a double-up, and, without any doubt whatsoever, spins past a 7 (his back foot rotates around three times) and attempts a blind landing. if that's not a 1080 degree rotation, i don't know what is. i've seen his big worms and big johnsons and they're way more stalled out than this. also, as hard of a trick as a big worm is, there is no way a video with this many good riders would should two big worms from the same rider, so i also have little doubt that the two he landed were 9's

EDIT: on second thought, at 1/16th speed, initiating the frontroll makes it look like his back foot is coming all the way around, when, in actually, his spinning really hadn't even begun. so, subtract 360 from everything i have said and call me an idiot. not the first time i've been wrong and it definitely won't be the last. still a sweet attempt at the johnson and a sick nuclear moby

(Message edited by jcv on July 18, 2006)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
its not, for a big worm, your feet spin around twice because of the invert, that is a big johnson
Old     (wakeskateal)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-18-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
na man a big worm is going up to do a fronroll spinning 180 and then wipping it around like a whirly kinda with two hands
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
I'm gonna have to call up Sean about that one.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff, I just ordered DS2...damnit, we are supposed to buy different DVDs and share.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
Ok I refuse to argue about tricks with people who don't have any idea what they are but for the last time, a BIG WORM IS A TOESIDE FRONTROLL WITH AN OLE FRONTSIDE 540, IT CAN BE DONE WITH ONE HAND OR TWO, I HAVE SEEN BOTH IN PERSON ON MY BOAT MANY TIMES, END OF DISCUSSION
Old    du540            07-18-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
Here's another one:

http://numbskullpro.com/

We've got a great Sean Obrien section

;)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
Kyle, damn man, you'd better check out the Bent Felix trailer too because I'm probably wrong about Harf's Blind Pete 5. Toeside backroll with two handle passes landing switch heelside has to be a blind Pete 5 right? What John described sounds like a Big Worm aswell, just without the term "ole"; no need to accuse people of not knowing what they're talking about. My mistake is a common one I'm sure; even in super slow-mo it really looks like the back foot rotates 360 degrees more than it actually does. No harm done and thank you and Paul for correcting me before I went on about it any longer.

Paul, no need to call Sean...he'd probably laugh and think I must have been high when I watched it.

Leo, it's a great DVD so far (I'm about halfway through), just don't judge it based on the first rider. Some guy blasting four foot stalefish airs, indy 180's, and about 5 too many TS 3's in a video full of guys going bigger (and still smoother), grabbing longer, and spinning further and then waxing poetic about the importance of style doesn't do it for me.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
can you post the bent felix trailor, i will look at it and tell you what he does
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
sure thing:

http://www.bfyproductions.com/
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Oh, and what does Watson throw about two-thirds of the way through? (right before they show Harf's part)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-18-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
http://www.alliancewake.com/vid_pop_up.aspx?id=18
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-18-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Here's an old crappy video of mine from the day after worlds 2003. On lake Whipoorwill Florida.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/getimage.asp?GalleryID=148&imageID=12
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
I win, my link is Windows Media and it has sound.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
Thanks Steven, I'm never one to turn down videos (hence this thread)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
t/s blind o/a 5, but i can understand the confusion with a blind pete 5. Now what trick i can see coming after that vid is a hs mobe 7 from adkison because he did that mobe 5 effortlessly
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
p.s. my friend at OWC is doing a hs backroll ole 5 and has landed one hs br ole 7 off big white. The hs br ole 5 doesnt have a name although i told him to call it an under whirly and the br ole 7 is called the howard johnson. Coolest two tricks i have ever seen, and both are on video, ill post it when they are put on the net, and i also don't know if i was supposed to say this so im not dropping names
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
i'd like to see those. i can't even picture them in my head
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Just imagine someone going to do a roll to revert and then he all of a sudden spins a 5 over his head like a big worm (because it is frontside) and for the howard johnson, just picture it looking like the under whirly to hs mobe
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
to add to videos, check these out, a lot of cable but some boat also but none the less some REALLY good riding that you will all like
http://www.trufei.com/?page=content&c=v&w=1
Old     (rmitchell242)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-18-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
i know man i hate spending all my money on tricks
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-18-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
Walking Eagle, thank you sir, some one FINALLY got the joke
Old     (rmitchell242)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-18-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
hahaha
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
Jeff we all got the joke, we all know you *********e to wakeboarding videos
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-19-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
damn, the secret's out