Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-30-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Probably been discussed before, but what are most people running in their X-star (2003-current)

I'm going for the Fly-high system next year, just wondering if I need anything different than that. (Not looking for any more weight than what the system adds) Do you guys fill the stock ballast all the way with that system? I've heard some people don't fill the stock rear tanks, so there's more weight forward. (harder wake)

CIE guys input also appreciated.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-30-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
we run a little different weight set up than most.

Stock for sure, plus 2 600lbs bags in the rear lockers, plus 400 lbs of lead in the nose.
I wanna run a little more weight in the nose, but just have not gotten around to having 2 bags plumbed into the system.
I have heard nothing but great things about the fly high system though.
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2007, 5:51 PM Reply   
someone should post some pics of a X-Star wake with the FLY HIGH system and then a stock ballast pic

(Message edited by want2ridealot on September 30, 2007)
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-30-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Here is a pic.... Shaun Murray behind the Travis Moye driven X-Star..

Fly-high, stock and 300 lead in nose if not mistaken..

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/boarding%20school/?action=view&current=wednesday014.jpg
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-30-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Kevin-sounds like a good combo. I have a friend loaning me 2 600# sacs next weekend, maybe I'll fill some PVC pipes with lead and cap them to use as my front ballast.

Greg- nice pic, I know Travis Moye knows how to create a great wake.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2007, 11:44 PM Reply   
how much wieght do the stock tanks hold in the back on a 03/08 x-star?
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
250 lbs per side.

I also run the flyhigh system w/ stock ballast and love it.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-01-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Hey Dave here ya go

600 ish on top of the stock ballast on each side of the motor (550 sack and 65 lb lead block). 110 lbs of moveable lead to ballast out side-to-side in the interior. 600 lbs of lead (300 on each side) under the front seats. Stock center ballast.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
AL(allen),...with that weight set up how many people are in the boat?

I just bought a 2008 x-star and i,m trying to figure out how to weight it the best way.I,m used to fill and carry 1100 lbs on top of a 07 vlx stock ballast ,but after a while i got tired of putting all that weight in and out of the boat.I,m looking for a flip switch solution.My problem is i cannot use the fly high bags as i need the rear storage for our lpg/propane tanks.My plan would be connecting 4 launch pad blocks wich can hold 92 each in series and hook ,m up to the stock ballast,on top of the blocks there will be the lpg tanks wich are 85 each...so my total would be aprox,540 on each side.With some lead it should go to 600.Does the swimplatform stay above the waterline if i leave only the lead in the back?
My boat stays in the water during the summer but i want the platform to be clean and not slippery from alge growth.
On the front side i have those twin sacks wich are 350 each,...there is no way i can get those filled all the way,maybe half full.
What are the effects if you have say 600 anywhere round the amps/dash area?In that case some more blocks up front might be a solution.
thanx.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-01-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Ben,
Three to four most of the time. but we do take more once in a while.
I would get rid of the sacs in the sides and get some lead up front as far front as you can get it is where we put ours. I don't think that those bags will do the trick because they don't get the weight far enough forward. why the LPG tanks, they take up alot of room if your using them for wheight.The set up that we use gives what is in my opion a perfect wake.

BTW where your fire extinguisher is, isn't a good place you might want to move it because if your engine is on fire your not going to want to grab that thing.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
the lpg is fuel for the propane conversion.i,m not running these kind of boats on gas,.specially not with european gas prices.The fire extinguisher is a automat i do have a 2th larger one in the boat,that one came from the factory.I think i know where to start with the weight set-up,..tomorrow is the break in period,..wednesday and saterday we going to slam it...lol.thanx.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       10-01-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
Wow, why don't you just plumb to v-drive sacs in the back still leaves plenty of room for storage of stuff on top. I also run with around 500lbs of lead in the nose, that on top of the stock ballast and it is dope for sure! Add a couple of passengers and just gets a little better. There's no reason anyone can't rock it with that, plus it saves a little on gas rather than slamming the piss out of it.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-01-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
sick, LPG conversion thats got to cost a ton. I thought that that might have been an automatic. Good luck withit let us know how everything works out.
al
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2007, 11:02 PM Reply   
we pay $7.50 a gallon,..lpg is only $2.61 a gallon.A propane lpg conversion saves money after about 150 hours.
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-02-2007, 2:12 AM Reply   
Yea same here, i live in the UK and have my boat in France and we run it on LPG!! Runs like a dream with the new system!! The difference, 92 Euros to fill up the X Star with LPG and 215 Euros to fill up with Gas!!! go figure! Also if you leave it full up with Gas its nice when the LPG runs out, you can still get back. Also extra ballast when its full!!
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-02-2007, 2:14 AM Reply   
Yea same here, i live in the UK and have my boat in France and we run it on LPG!! Runs like a dream with the new system!! The difference, 92 Euros to fill up the X Star with LPG and 215 Euros to fill up with Gas!!! go figure! Also if you leave it full up with Gas its nice when the LPG runs out, you can still get back. Also extra ballast when its full!!
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-06-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
tested the boat today 550 up front and 700 in the back and aprox 900 on people and stock ballast.Video will be on you-tube soon.
LY6 has no problems at all getting the boat out of the water.For those who have more experience with the x-star,what is the difference in wakeshape if we add another 1000lbs?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-12-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Sounds good Ben. I'm going to try 2 v-drive sacs plumbed-in to the stock system (800+ lbs. in back) and 500-600 lbs. of lead in the nose. That's not overkill, but should still give me a nice wake at 23-24 mph. Plus it will leave my walkway open, no more sacs to trip over.

Should be able to achieve this for under $300, incl. lead in PVC pipes for the front.