Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-06-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
I want to make the switch to synthetic oil in my boat but I can’t find the exact weight and viscosity that the manufacture recommends. I have a model year 2000 LTR engine in my boat that calls for 15/40 oil. All I could find in synthetic is 15/50 Mobil 1. I decided to go with it. Is that okay? I can’t imagine that it’s not but I wanted to throw it out there and get another opinion.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-06-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
I can't answer your question but I can offer some advice. Walmart was by far the cheapest place I found for Mobile 1 oil.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-06-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
That Mobil 1 would be fine. You can find 15W/40's but they are fewer. I'd run a 5W/40 as choice before the 15W/50. That will give you the same viscosity at operating temp and a lower viscosity when you cold start so the engine gets oiled quicker. You will have no trouble finding a 5W/40.
Amsoil makes a 15W/40 Marine oil but I'm not a fan of their products, and I have used them.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
i use the mobil one 15/50 in my 02 Xstar LTR, the only 15/40 i could find was penzoil, and id rather run the engine with out oil before i use that!! you could use the 5W40, but usually the engines are not used in "cold" weather. when you put your boat in the water, its usually 55 derees or more? unless you use your boat in very cold weather id use the 15w50 the mobil one is a very good oil.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-08-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. The information has been very informative. As I said, I went with the 15/50 Mobil One which I am now confident was the correct choice. However, as a footnote, the engine sounded really weird when I first fired it up after the oil change but it quickly reverted to its normal sound.

I gave it quick clean, drained the block and I’m guessing it’s going to be seven months before it sees the water again. Oh well, hopefully we’ll have an epic winter in the Sierras.

Again, thanks for the information!
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-08-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
Amsoil has a 15/40 Synthetic. Might want to take a look at them.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-08-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
Matt that sound was most likely the lifters-dry? Did you fill the oil filter, at least partially, with oil? Also did you crank the engine without starting the engine to get the oil pumping through? The oil pump will be sucking air initially after a change, till it all gets pumping. I usually try to crank 2 times without starting.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-09-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
Wow, that's probably it. I will keep both of those suggestions in mind the next time I change the oil. Thanks.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-09-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
Virtually ALL synthetic oil meets viscousity grades from 5-50 without any problem. They put a range on the oil, but it really does not matter all that much. I use the Wal-Mart or NAPA oils and they work great. As long as you have sufficient oil pressure, you are fine.