Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (jordan_wake)      Join Date: May 2008       06-28-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Ok I am looking at putting some tower speakers in my new boat. It is an 08 centurion elite v. It already has the sony CDX-M10 and 4 kicker km620's. I think I am going with a pair of wetsound pro 60's. I also am wanting to go with an alpine PDX amp. That is where my question comes in. I want to be able to fade the fronts(boat) and the rears(tower). Can I do this with one amp or do I need two. I either want a PDX4.150 or I will get 2 Pdx 2.150. The boat speakers will be wired in parallel so they should be getting about 75 watts rms each. Can the 4 channel amp put out both 2 ohms for the boat and 4 ohms for the towers at the same time? Also do I need a new deck to do the fading I want? a wetsounds equalizer isn't in the budget right now

Any help would be great I am not looking for anything crazy like some of the setups on here.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-28-2008, 11:01 PM Reply   
Jordan - Where are you located? Tim from Wetsounds can recommend a quality dealer near you to help you out. If you want to be able to have stereo sound and fade front to rear (tower to interior) you will need a 4ch or (2) 2chs. Your radio will work for fade since it has 2 preouts but you will not be able to keep a sub signal at a consistent volume as you fade from tower to interior. There are a bunch of tricks around this but plan on a quality eq or a new radio in your future to get ideal adjustibility. Hope this helps a little.
Old     (jordan_wake)      Join Date: May 2008       06-29-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
I am located in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I have been to one dealer for wetsounds here already. For a set of pro 80's they want $1250 we get screwed here. Our dollar is basically the same yet I could buy the pro 80's online for $900. So either amp will work as long as I get a new deck with at least 3 sets of preouts so I won't have to use a sub signal. That did help thanks
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
You could use PAC LC-1's for independent volume control. You can get them for about $15 each.
Old     (jordan_wake)      Join Date: May 2008       06-29-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Actually after doing some searching an EQ isn't that expensive,it would be cheaper than a new deck will be. So I guess I will keep the stock deck till it craps out. If I go with a 4 channel amp can I hook the front set of rca's from the EQ to channel 1/2 and the rear set to 3/4 and be able to fade it that way, Or is 2 amps required to do this? So in all it would be wired like this correct?Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
That will be fine. You should be able to fade it on the EQ. That setup will sound good with that amp.
Old     (jordan_wake)      Join Date: May 2008       06-29-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Awesome thats what I am hoping for, also what about a kicker amp I can get one for probably a $ 150 or so cheaper because I found one at the same place as the EQ so combined shipping. I always hear its better to overpower than underpower but by how much are we talking? Like the kicker zx650.4 would put out about 120rms x 4 so it would underpower the towers by 30 or so watts and be overpowering the boat speakers by about 20 watts , Now on the other hand the zx850.4 puts out about 175rms and would overpower the towers by about 25 watts and really overpower the boat by over 40 watts. So which is the greater evil? or should I just suck it up and get the alpine which is bang on for the towers and just 10 watts over for the boat. To me that sounds like it would be best but If I can save some cash it would be better
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
Suck it up.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-29-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
thats not much power to the 4 ohm wetsounds. while the kenwood 6.5 will be powered nicely at 2 ohms. buy a 6 channel amp and bridge two to each wetsound pod. and the two remaining channels power the interior
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2008, 5:57 PM Reply   
Jordan,

I just had a thought here. Get the kicker 850.4 and run one side to the wetsounds at 175 x 2, and the other wired in series at 8 ohms to the kickers. This will prevent them from being overpowered.
Old     (jordan_wake)      Join Date: May 2008       06-29-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
A 6 channel amp is gonna run me even more so that doesn't really help, I am not quite understanding the 8 ohm. I get the wetsounds at 175 x 2 on two channels but that leaves 2 more channels so how do I wire the 4 speakers to 2 channels and get 8 ohms. Or do I leave one channel open and wire all the speakers to one channel so really only using 3 channels?
Old     (jordan_wake)      Join Date: May 2008       06-29-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
Never mind I figured it out wire them in series of course, that actually sounds perfect cause I know the wetsounds can take 175 and sound great, but I was worried about the boat speakers but that solves all that