Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-02-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
I bought a new VLX from Cope and Mcpheaters. I paid 45,000 for the boat with all the bells and whistles and a stereo. The boat has everything but a shower. The stereo is 2 12" jl's defcon 3's powered by PPI amps with a alpine deck. The boat looks great but It is in the shop more than it is in the water. It has a new v-drive, tranny and the motor has been pulled 2 times. The throttle cable has snapped the gelcoat has spidered and the wedge's bolts have fallen out. The swim deck cracked and was replaced. The steering wheel was on upside down, the tower makes noises, the cooler leaks, neutral was broken, weather stripping came out of windows plus a lot more. Everything has been fixed numerous times but I am not satisfied with a fixed 45,000 boat. Much more has happened to the boat that I have not listed but for the most part it has been fixed by the company. Any suggestions out there on what you would do if you were in my situation.
Old    tattoobling            03-02-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
Just curious, what were they offering an X-2 for? Or did you even ask?
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-02-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Didnt even ask.
Personally the Malibu wake w/wedge blew away the X2 and the interior of the malibu looks much more plush.
Why are you looking for an X2
Old    tattoobling            03-02-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
No, I'm not looking for an X-2. I know that Cope sells both MC and 'Bu and I was just wondering how much price difference there is between the 2 boats. I hope that the better wake and comfy interior will more than make up for the 13 plus problems that you've experienced in a somewhat short amount of time. 'Cause as everyone knows, the X-2's wake was only good enough to pull the X-Games for 5 years and everyone complained of sore butts.

Thanks.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
Bayliner could be pulling for the next X-Games if they paid enough to be the sponsor......
Old    mklucas            03-02-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
Sounds like you got a lemon. I have 160 hours on my WVLX with only very minor problems (fuel hose recall and tighten down fuel pump). That is the norm for a new Malibu, even friends with older Malibu's '89-'96 haven't had your type of problems. Sorry to hear about this.

If I were in your shoes, I would start by asking the dealer to buy the boat back for what he could sell a '03 VLX with X amount of hours for. Then get into an '04 for dealer cost, or REALLY damn close. I am surprised that your dealer has not already offered up some type of scenario similar to this. You would clearly take a loss, but hopefully the dealer will work with Malibu to minmize that loss as much as possible.

If this route does not work, I would take all of my documentation (registration, shop work orders, receipts, etc.) straight to Malibu. Explain to them that you tried the dealer route first, but have found it necessary to go this route. I would ask them what they think would be appropriate to do for a customer in a situation such as yours.

I definately do not think that you should just have to put up with the problems your boat has given you, and I am confident in Malibus. I know that this is not the norm for their products, and that they are not the type of company that wants to turn their back on a customer. When I took the factory tour to see my '03 being built, my friend pulled his boat up there ('96 Echelon), and they put his boat in the lake with two techs and him, ran it around for a while, and tried to help diagnose the problem (electrical/computer). He bought the boat second hand, and was past his warranty, but Malibu still made an effort to solve a problem on one of their boats (they diagnosed the problem but my buddy still hasn't fixed it - that's on him, not Malibu).

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and I hope that your dealer and Malibu can restore your faith in what I consider to be a top of the line product.

Merlin
Old    deltahoosier            03-02-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
Actually the dealer can not fix crap without Malibu giving the OK just so you know.
Old    tattoobling            03-02-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Levi,

I know where you're going with such an outlandish remark but I will say this: There is an issue of credibility at hand. Bayliner couldn't pay any amount to sponsor the X-Games just like Hyundai couldn't pay any amount to sponsor a NASCAR race. Malibu could, but not Bayliner.
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-02-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Wow. I think our boats were biult on the same day. Heres my list. Bad fuel lines, three broken ballast pumps, ripped dash, non-working gas gauge, trailer had rusted and then been painted over, no bimini, cover was not custom fitted for the tower, bilge didnt work, broken throttle cable, and the wedge sheared not once but twice. Oh yeah the trailer tire almost blew on the way home. I know some of these are bus fault, and some the dealers. I think I ended up with 12 to 15 issues on my 45,000.00 boat. The sad thing is I can't wait to order a new 05. I just wont go though the same dealer. I think every boat has issues, but it's how the dealership steps to the plate.(or doesn't) My dealer told me and I quote " I didn't build your boat, what do you want me to do". This was after asking them what they could do to help. Keep in mind its a 4 hour round trip to the dealer. Luckily I've found a great service provider. Thanks Rockford Marine. Alright, I'll stop right there with my run-on sentences, and bad punctuation. My point, stuff happens, try to find a dealership who will work for you after your sale, and not just before it.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       03-02-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Merlin is right. I have a 97 sunsetter with 600 hours on it and no real problems. A water pump at 550 hours, that's it. No cracking, no wedge problems, no tower problems. It just runs and runs and runs. It even starts on the first turn after the entire winter.

If you live in CA, tow that thing to Merced.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-02-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
Bryan...sorry to hijack your post

Tat - I'm glad you caught my sarcasm. But, is it really that outlandish? What is the prize money at the X-games for the wakeboarders? Maybe $30 or $40 grand split 3 ways? And then whatever Mastercraft would pay to sponsor. What if Bayliner decided they would double or triple the sponsorship fee and up the prize money to $100,000. I doubt the riders would complain cause they would be getting paid a lot more and I'm sure they would still kill it behind a Bayliner, just like an X-star. I kinda doubt that ESPN really cares if it's Mastercraft or anyone else that's pulling the riders? I could be totally wrong, but I kinda doubt it..... Let me know if you think I'm totally off base here.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-02-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
what did you do with your boat??
What year was it?
If you sold it how much did you sell it for?
Also all 3 of my ballast tanks broke, my altenater broke 2 times, my boat was taking on water through the packing. guages broke, ect.ect
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-02-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
The boat has been to merced 2 times and with frank cope 1 time and so far Alls I have gotten was a fixed boat and a 250 dollar gift card to cope... It was winterized the last time I got it fixed so I have not had it on the water yet to see if it is still working. I am talking with a lawyer right now who wants the case but I dont feel it should go to that.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
I'm interested to see what happens with this problem. I've had two malibu's, and really no serious problems. My first 98 sunsetter VLX, I had the most problems with. Most of the frustration from all of that was the dealer here and not with the actual boat. I now have a 03 VLX and have had no problems with it except some minor tearing of some seats which has already been fixed now. I have close to 200hrs on the boat already also.

I'm also intersted in one of the above statements on some fuel lines and stuff in an above comment, that was suppose to be a recall or something. I haven't heard of this and was wondering if you could tell me anymore about this. Should I have mine looked at for this problem before summer comes around?
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-02-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
the recall was mailed to the boats that had the motor serial# that it matched. I have had both of those recalls also.
I am looking for suggestions also on what to do with my situation.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
sorry to hear your problems but you had to of had to get the bad one of the batch. we have a '99 wakesetter with 160 hours (i know its not that much but the guy we bought it from didnt use it all that much) and the only problem we have had with it is a bad cd player, and sheared impeller.
Old    mklucas            03-02-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
Ryan, Indmar was using a faulty fuel line that went to the fuel rail on the observer's side of the engine. My boat was built in April and I received the recall notice in July(?). If your boat was built after this time, they probably already switched out the part to the appropriate line. If your uncertain contact your dealer and ask them about the fuel line recall. Sorry I can't find the paperwork with the part number right now.
I was on the road when I got the notice, and didn't have time to take the boat to the shop before a trip to Tahoe. Mine ended up cracking and leaking fuel while on Lake Tahoe. Luckily there is a Malibu dealership on Tahoe. They spoke to my dealer, gave me the proper line, and I did the repair myself. The Tahoe service department couldn't get to me for a few days, and I wanted to be out on the water. After a few phone calls, a trip to the local dealership, a stop by the auto part store for a tool, and about twenty minutes in the engine compartment we were back on the water. Another story that kept my faith in Malibu's name.

Bryan, keep us posted on the progress of your solution. Also, I'm sure you have been to MBO, have you posted this over there? Someone over there MIGHT have some experience they could help you with...

Merlin
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-02-2004, 5:30 PM Reply   
i got mine in last april so I'm assuming I should go have it replacced. Thanks for the input!
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-02-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
02 VLX 130 hrs. never been in the shop. zero problems.
Old    hockeyruss            03-03-2004, 5:08 AM Reply   
I have had 3 VLX's since 2001 and have had only 1 problem, fuel problem with my 02 when it was new. Dealer couldn't fix and after 3 times sent the boat back to Tn plant who changed a fuel line in the injection that had too much of a bend in it. Dealer gave me a loaner boat to use while boat was in Tn (about 2 weeks). Never had another problem with it.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-03-2004, 5:40 AM Reply   
had one electrical problem, transducer shorting, causing the stereo to short. 120 hours on my 03, never been w/o the boat on a weekend of course Waterski America has 5 or 6 mechanics at any one time, the service just rocks. looking forward to a new 05.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-03-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Merlin- what is MBO??
I am willing to try anything I can at this point.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-03-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
MBO is a message board for malibu boat owners at http://www.malibuboatowners.com

Old    tattoobling            03-03-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
To echo Levi - sorry about the hijack. Levi - I don't think you're totally off base but my reference is to an issue of credibility and a side issue of free market forces. If the X-Games handles their business responsibly I don't think they would allow their wakeboarding events to be pulled by a non-wakeboard boat company. That would in some ways cheapen and "whore out" the event. That would be akin to hosting the winter X-Games at Tussey Mountain, a rinky dink ski hill in Central PA, just because they outbid Aspen and Whistler. At the same time I don't think Bayliner would see any reason to offer 2-3 times what MC pays, they wouldn't see a return. Our market, puny as it is, dictates what the exposure is worth. Bryan, best of luck with your boat and again I apologize for the hijack.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-04-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
I will keep you posted..
Old    morewake            03-05-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
Cadi...
It seems to me like more bu owners need to come out and let their problems be known. I have a Wakesetter and I have had many problems with it. In fact the only reason I signed up on this sight is because your post opened my eyes on how the malibu product is not as great as everyone says they are. I gave up on my dealership and started fixing things myself. It costs me money but it saves me the headache and lets me know how to fix the boat when the next problem occurs in the middle of the lake. I know that every boat has problems but Malibu is trying to have such a great reputation and is competing with SAN and Mastercraft they should stand by their product. I am curious as to how far you have gone with your problems. If worst comes to worse I would go straight to the owner and ask him what he would like to do about your situation. Everyone seems to say that bu would not turn its head on owners but your problems seem extreme. As you said in your post you still have your 45,000 fixed boat. If my problems were as major as yours I would not still have the boat. I would demand a new boat. I am only hearing your side of the story but it is unlikely that someone from cope or malibu would respond to your post due to the fact that you might have a "lemon."(which now pertains to boats also) I am curious as to what dealership you bought your boat from and what your salesperson there has said everytime you bring in your boat for repair. Have they offered to trade you into another boat?? What have they done besides fix your boat and give you a gift card?? I have never heard of that til I read your post. 250 seems like nothing considering you were without your boat while it was in the shop. Please let me know what actions you are taking and if you would like I could possibly help you out. In my line of work problems like yours make my job interesting. Also as others have said post on MBO and let people know of your problems. Good Luck and please keep me posted.. Come on bu owners help this guy out..
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-05-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
Ya know I am a BU owner, but where I live you really neve hear anything but excellent stories and good customer relations from the Supra, MC, Bu, and Nauti dealers. I am glad I live in a town with good dealers for all brands. I have been dealing with Bu since 90, never had any issues that were not resolved immediately
Old    mklucas            03-05-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
Jared, it almost sounds like you are accusing Malibu owners of hiding their problems from these boards and the rest of the world. This is not the case - everyone I know personally (including myself) who owns a Malibu feels that they have had the pleasure of owning a very reliable product, and have had a dealer who stands behind it. Of course there is the exception to this rule, and I do empathize with you, I will give you advise (as I have done), and I do wish you the best. But don't accuse the rest of us of harboring our problems to preserve Malibu's name.
Good Luck,
Merlin

PS Jared, you're a Lawyer, you should be able to remeber the first sentence in this thread.

(Message edited by mklucas on March 05, 2004)
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-06-2004, 10:13 AM Reply   
I really don't know anybody who has had THAT MANY problems with a almost new boat. I wonder first how well you treat your boat as I do know people who say,"It's a boat", and mistreat them. What condition was the boat in when you bought it? Was the steering wheel on straight then? When did the steering wheel become upside down? They don't put them that way at the factory. If there's a problem with V-drive that early (1 yr) then it's still under warranty and should be fixed unless you didn't do service at prescribed hours. How did the weather strip come out from window after purchase? My friend had the neutral switch go out on his MC, but it's still a great boat. Not saying you don't have some legitimate gripes, but some problems maybe dealer issues which I would check before it left. I saw a boat here that the owner never brought the boat in for oil change or proper service and it had 220 hours and the engine blew! Who's fault was that? I just bought my FOURTH Malibu and never had that many issues with a boat. Good Luck on your endeavor!
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-06-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
I treat this boat like its a baby. I bought the boat brand new, never even went on the lake test because I was told nothing but good things about Malibu. The steering wheel was not on straight from day 1 but I was excited to have bought my first boat and just wanted to hit the lake. The v-drive was replaced when it broke at 6 hours (1 hour after the break in period.) The weather striping came out, I dont know why it just was getting lower and lower til it came out. Again my dealership took care of the problem. I have always had everything fixed rapidly by my dealer ship they even let me go to a dealer that was closer to me so I did not have to drive so far. That is not what my "gripe" is about. It is about the fact that I have a fixed boat and my first boat experience is terrible. ( as far as the fun I had on the lake.) We had a 2 week vatation ruined because the boat broke on day 1 and almost sank. The resort we were staying at had their mechanics fix the boat, but then something else would go wrong. I have a list of things that were fixed on this boat by MALIBU and COPE...There might be duplicates but this is the order on how it happened and the duplicates mean it happened more than 1 time...
1.Metal shavings in motor compartment.
2.Ballast tanks broken.
3.V-drive light going on at all times.
4.Oil pressure warning beep and no pressure reading on guage.
5.Throttle cable snapped.
6.Perfect pass Broke.
7.Cooler leakes.
8.Boat always taking on water.Was taking in water from packing seals.
9.Heater broke.
10.Gelcoat spidered.
11.Wedge was stuck down. Bolts broke or fell out.
12.Inside lights broken.
13.Neutral button did not work.
14.While turning right boat misses for a second.
15.Driver seat would not lock in position.
16.rubber on window fell of and window chipped paint on boat.
17.Blower broke.
18.swim platform loose and cracked.
19.Gas cap line broke.
20.Table holder in storage broke and ruined table.
21.Ballast tanks broke again.
22.hinges coming out of storage areas.
23.Altenator broke.
24.Packing gland nut fell out boat almost sunk overnight.(dock held it up)
25.Altenator bolts broke inside motor.
26.Malibu decals came off side of the boat.
27.Guages broke.All of them
28.Tower is loose all the time.
Those are some of the problems this boat has had. The dealership has been very good at fixing them but as I said in my earlier posts I am not happy with a fixed boat. I had to carry v-drive oil, motor oil, and tools every time I would go to the lake in case of an emergency. I was towed in almost 1 time a weekend because something broke. I still think malibu makes the best looking boat and has the best wake but I just got a boat and am not happy WITH A FIXED BOAT.......I am not trying to talk Malibu boats but I am trying to get a situation resolved to keep me (the consumer) happy.. I kept this boat flawless it has had all of its services plus some because of how often it was in the shop and what they replaced. It leaked v-drive and motor oil so it always had fresh oil in it. The boat only has around 75 hours or so on it and at least 20 are from dealerships and malibu trying to fix a problem. Now that you almost know all of my problems and headaches let me know what you think.
Oh yea the boat cost me about 6 grand in vacations that were ruined.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-06-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
I always carry tools, whether driving my BU or PSD. Your list of problems is extreme, and if properly documented I would expect a new BU, period.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-06-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
Bryan,
Have you called Malibu about your problems. I work at a dealer and have seen them take back entire boats to make sure they are ok. We had one that got in an accident on its way to us from the factory, and the only thing wrong was monor gel coat scratches, but they took the boat back to make sure. I also saw them take back a boat the previous malibu dealer sold (we shipped it back) because it had too many problems. They sent the customer a brand new boat (literally, he had a response that was based on the old hull, got a new diamond hull one, but it just had an old serial number on it).

As for some of your problems...
1) metal shaving will show up, stuff that is laying in the bilget tends to surface for a long time.
4)Sounds like a bad sender
5)how many hours, i have only ever seen 2 go and both boats were perfect pass boats with over 200 hours.
13)neutral button should not work if the boat has fuel injection. It messes up the computer if you use it so they spring it so it won't work.
14)You have a bad fuel pump, I believe there was a recall on some in 2003.
18) dealer mounts platform
28)dealer mounts tower.

Non the less you have a lemon. Call Malibu and see if you can't get them to at least take it back and make it right. I have owned (Personally) 4 malibus and the only problems i have had were the recall on my 03 and a bad fuel pump, and a broken throttle (perfect pass) cable on my 02. I have seen other probelms with netting etc, but nothing like you are having, a lot of them may be caused by the boat almost sinking...Still call malibu because they have the tools etc, to make it right and if you can't get it to happen your dealer should be able to.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-06-2004, 6:38 PM Reply   
That is the problem I have talked with malibu and they keep fixing the boat for me and do not offer me a new boat. That is what I would be happy with not a fixed problem. Hey WKERAT if you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them. I dont want to have another summer of being towed to shore....I am very aware I have a lemon I am just trying to work with malibu and cope.. so I can get into a new boat.. But so far nothing just fixed problems and hope.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-06-2004, 7:27 PM Reply   
Talk to the dealer, see if they can't work someting out and get you and even trade for your boat. If they push Malibu enough they should be able to get something done. I have not seen it with Malibu, but with Cobalt we had a customer who ordered an arch than later decided he didn't want it. It was removed and the holes fixed. Anyway, there was a slight dimple where one of the holes was and he was unhappy. We worked it out with cobalt who gave us credit for the arch and got the customer in a new boat for an even trade, of couse we had money in the boat since we then had a used boat to sell, but it all worked out and everyoe was happy. So try to see if your dealer can't do something there.
Old    extremegreen            03-06-2004, 8:54 PM Reply   
Sounds like you got a Friday afternoon or Monday morning boat. My 03 VLX had 101.2 hours with only the fuel line recall and a wedge failure (I don't want to open that can of worms). Dealer has been great here in Kelowna.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-06-2004, 11:50 PM Reply   
I have almost taken all routes I can with Cope and Malibu.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-07-2004, 6:34 AM Reply   
Man that sucks, hopefully Malibu and your dealership will solve all of this.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-07-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
As it stands right now Malibu has given me my boat back (fixed) but I have not taken it out since its last month it was in the shop.
Old    morewake            03-09-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
"cadiwake" has your post helped you out in your decision making? I just read your list of problems..... I can not believe all of that has happened and you did not get a new boat out of it...
Keep us informed as to your "status"
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-09-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
What a disaster. I ride behind a 2000 LSV. 500 hours. Not a single problem. Sounds like you should take advantage of the lemon law!
Old     (redram9873)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-09-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A MASTERCRAFT. YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND YOU PAID LESS.
Old     (redram9873)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-09-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
Oh and by the way the X-Games are the only event that the boat is picked by the sponsor, ESPN, and then that company chooses what they are willing to pay for the spot.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
"YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A MASTERCRAFT. YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND YOU PAID LESS."

Have you ever noticed that you rarely, if ever, get comments like this from someone over the age of 23.

E.J.
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
I actually had a lot of problems with my 2003 Malibu VLX, but most things are fixed. I do have gel cracks from the Tower, my wedge sheared off, teak deck cracked twice, my stereo kept shorting out and a few other problems. I was really frustrated in the begining but was giving the boat and dealer the "benefit of the doubt" because it was new and things needed to be broken in.
I also have had several issues with Cope's (Ultimate) as well. I ended up writing a letter to Malibu and they pushed the issue with Ultimate Watersports.
As far as a lawyer is concerned, I think you would be dissapointed because there is nothing they can do for you except take your greenbacks.

If you want to chat offline send me an email at work, brianl@rabbitoa.com.
Old     (redram9873)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-09-2004, 8:15 PM Reply   
Hay E.J. you don't get those comments from guys over 23 because they are only buying a wakeboard boat for their kid that will not shut up about having a tower and ballast. Most of them have Mastercraft ski boats and just get the cheapest thing they can for the kids, it gets them to shut up about the tower and ballast. Please don't get all angry about all this EVERYONE has "their" boat company but when you really look at it Mastercraft is taking it to the next level and right now everyone else is just trying to make up ground.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
Okay Jay, I am sure you are correct.

I am just hoping that Malibu, Correct Craft et. al. don't finally just give up. Or worse yet, your word spreads and everyone just goes out and buys the best boat out there MASTERCRAFT!!!! If they can't, they just stop buying boats all together. The economy dumps, people start jumping out of buildings. The West Coast starts launching nukes at the East Coast. I get shivers just thinking about it all.

You know you are right Jay...but look what you may cause if you let people in on your secret. Play this one smart.

E.J.
Old     (redram9873)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-10-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
I am playing this one smart by keeping you up to date on the way things are really going. Learn to have fun once in awhile. All I'm saying is to look into things before just taking the plunge.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-11-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
"Batman" now that you know most of my problems and that I took great care of my boat do you have anything else to say about my situation. I am looking for all of the feed back I can get. Not to mention all of the people with malibus who have privately e-mailed me who have had numerous problems also. It seems that only the 03 wakesetters are having major problems. I have at least 7 people who I am talking with from this site who all have 03's and have huge problems. Tell me what you think..........
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-11-2004, 10:02 AM Reply   
You have stated that you are not happy w/ a fixed boat. So, what other option is there other than just sell the boat and move on.

Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-11-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
The other option is for malibu and cope to get me into a new boat so my posts on here can be positive malibu experiences. That would be taking it to the next level in customer satisfaction. There are many boats out there for people to pick from and when you pick a company like malibu you just expect the best in everything.. so far I have not had a good experience.
Old    vthurd            03-11-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
The Lemon Law covers anything with a manufacturers warranty including boats. Look up what requirements must be met to fall under the lemon law in CA. In your case the boat taking on water is a problem that the dealership would have one time to fix if they can not fix this your boat should qualify as a lemon. I am going thru this process right now with a new car in the shop more days then in the driveway. You can shoot me an email if you want to hear about the process that i'm going thru and i might be able to give you some advice. vtbhurd01@hotmail.com
Old    leftcoastpunk            03-11-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
Jay, I guess we are all inferior riders unless we have a mastercraft like you, you are probably the best rider on here bro. Maybe money isn't the only factor in buying a boat, and trust it wasn't one here. Dealer and wake preference also factor in. Your 23 bro, keep your wise ass comments to yourself.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-11-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
I really hope that happens for you. I know how it must feel to spend that much jack and have all those problems. Its not like you were not going w/ a reputable company.

Have you come out and said "give a new boat", or are you just expecting it to happen. Have you specifically asked your dealer to buy it back and sell you a new one on terms you will be happy with?

Good luck w/ it.
Old     (cadiwake)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-12-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
I have talked with my dealer about it but they have to go through their management to get the ok. As far as the dealership level they are doing all they can but I am told it is not up to them and it has to go through Cope...As I have said in earlier posts the boat has been with Frank cope and I now have it back. I bought the boat from Ultimate Water Sports.(which is owned by cope..) The salesperson I bought the boat from has been very responsive and helpful but he only has so much say in a matter like this. I believe that from a dealership level they have tried anything they can to keep me satisfied. So now I am faced with a situation in which I am stuck.
Old    morewake            03-16-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
Still waiting for an update on your situation. I am very interested as to how the dealership will handle this problem..
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-17-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
Sorry to bring it up again but i was out of town and just saw this, to jay preston's comment on "you get what you pay for", I don't think thats true at all. I have owned two malibu's, and am very pleased with them. I wouldn't own a mastercraft if I could get one for the same price as the malibu. Not everyone gets malibu's because they are cheaper. Alot of my friends have master crafts. We ride with about 5 people all the time, 3 of which own master crafts. On any given day they would rather go ride in boat before theirs anyday. One guy has a 01 x star, his was in the shop "THE WHOLE SUMMER" and we didn't ride behind any, and its for sale if anyone is interested. The other guy has an X-30, and after riding behind my boat can't believe he spent that much on his boat, because he likes mine alot better. I do like master crafts, but you don't always get what u pay for.
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-03-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Last August I bought a 2003 WS VLX. I have had two problems with it. This is also my first boat. However, I’m writing because I have had experience with a “lemon” and know how you feel.

I successfully was able to get GM/Chev. to buy back my 1997 Chevrolet Suburban and I did it without an attorney. I had several problems with the Suburban and it was in the shop for an accumulative of 30 days. If I remember right, the 30 days is one of the Lemon Law (CA) requirements. Even though it was fixed, I just didn’t feel like owning it. It doesn’t seem right to spend a lot of money for something you just doesn’t have confidence or pride in owning. I got my money back and the dealer gave me a great deal on a 1998 Suburban.

If I were you, I would write Malibu and ask for my $45K Send a courtesy copy (CC) to the dealer.
While your letter is working it’s way through Malibu, you should familiarize yourself with California’s Lemon Law and file a claim to get your money back. Once you have your money I’m sure the dealer will give you a good deal on a new boat.

In California you can get an attorney or file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). In my experience, GM/Chev. never replied to my letters or phones call until I initiated a BBB claim. Then all communication was through the BBB, never directly with me. I was ripped off on the mileage reimbursement, however after months of going through this process I just wanted it to be over.

Dealing with corporate America was a real eye opener for me. Good luck and I hope this was somewhat helpful. Sorry for the untimely post.