Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-09-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
Mine are starting to come off and flap in the wind, so I'm gonna take them off when I detail my trailer. Any opinions on what I should use? The glue looks pretty thick, and caked on.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-09-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
On the trailer? Goo B Gone usually works.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-09-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
I have a galvanized trailer and one of mine started coming off on its own. At that time I noticed rust started forming under the sticker so they all came off and were sent to the landfill. Every sticker had rust under it so it was obviously leaking and holding water. I cannot provide any advice as mine all ripped but I will warn those with stickers to beware.

The nice thing about a galvanized trailer is a little paint and it looks a good as new...or as good a new galvi trailer can.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-09-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
I was thinking goo b gone as well, but wasn't sure how badly it would harm the wax/ paint? Actually not too worried about the wax, because once they're off, I plan on giving it a good waxing anyway.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
3M makes a great Adhesive remover that won't hurt the paint on the trailer.
Old     (dan_lorenze)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-10-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
Use a heat gun and warm up the decals, sould be easy to peel off..
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-10-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
I've used about all the above mentioned methods & they all work fine.

The question is, what are you going to replace it with? I put 5 bar diamond plate on mine. Used Liquid Nails construction adhesive to glue it in place. Looks like all the rest of the diamond plate on the trailer. Cost was under $50.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-10-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'll try to check out that 3M stuff. I'm hoping PepBoys or Home Depot has it.

Bill - Not sure about replacing it, but that may be an option. Where did you pick up that diamond plate for under $50. I didn't think it was that cheap.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-10-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Like Daniel said heat is great, I use a blow dryer a lot and will melt the glue in a min or two.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-20-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Bill - I found the 5 bar diamond plate, but had a question about the liquid nails. Their website states "liquid nails adhesives cannot be used to bond two non-porous surfaces together (e.g. metal to metal)." You haven't had any issues with it?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Liquid nails is not the right stuff for that application. There is a special epoxy that is used to bond two metal surfaces together. You can find it at Home Depot.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
Hmmm, now I'm wondering what I used. It was a tube of construction adhesive of some kind. Seems to be working fine so far. I would usually check the container for what surfaces it works on. Obviously a metal on metal product like nu bu mentions would be in order.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-20-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
just check the labels, PL makes some super strong adhesives.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-20-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
Cool. I was just curious. Thanks guys, and Bill, thanks for the tip about the diamond plate.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
You bet. Looks great, I'm sure. And it's obviously tough enough to walk on.

Sorry I wasn't paying attention to this thread for a few days. I guess you found a source for it. I bought mine at Coeur d'Alene Metals in Spokane. But I get the impression it's the kind of thing you can find locally at most metals dealers. The trick is knowing to ask for the "single bar or 5 bar diamond plate" depending on what your trailer has on it already.

BTW, I did this same thing on my MC trailer a few years ago. But I used pop rivets to secure them. In that case you have to be sure to place the pop rivets in a place that your tire won't hit them... probably in the middle of the diamond plate pad, rather than on the ends.

Super easy project that can & probably should be done on almost all trailers.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-20-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Another option we use at the Body Shop is a clean strip wheel it removes stickers, Glue, Pin striping and it doesn't hurt the paint. Kinda looks like a big eraser you can put on the end of a drill. Its the best way for removing old dried and cracked stickers that are to brittle to heat and peel. Most paint stores sell them.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
I used gatorgrip on mine and now have to do something again with my new fenders. Does the diamond plate get scorching hot in the summer?
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-20-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
Bill - I haven't put the diamond plate on yet, but will be ordering it shortly. I also have the 5 bar. I found this place, but haven't checked locally yet. http://trailertrim.com/brushed--and-polished-aluminum-material.html

Knee Brace - I have the diamond plate on the flat surfaces at the front and back of the fenders, and it really doesn't heat up. But if I'm gonna be standing on the fenders longer than just to get into the boat, I'm usually wearing flip flops.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
They definitely don't stay cool. Not as hot as the black fender itself. But I don't usually walk around the boat ramp in bare feet either. So it hasn't been a problem.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-20-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
Bill - do you have pics of your MC trailer? I just wanted to get an idea before I order. has anyone else done this? If so, do you have pics.

Thanks
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Sorry, I'm strikin out on an MC pic. It was from about 2005, which might be before big external hard drives..... which means I might find it on an old CD/DVD. I'll keep looking, but it was the white tandem axle with the fiberglass fenders.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
This gives you a good idea. It was a picture I Photoshopped before I actually did the diamond plate, just to get an idea what I was doing would look right. I thought about doing the rest of the trailer too but ended up selling the boat before I got that far.
Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
And the Malibu trailer....

Upload
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-20-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Thanks Bill! In general I love the reflection of diamond plate on a boat (not sure where that came from, kind of a brain fart).