Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
Can anyone give me some information on Pop up cleats, with regards to installation and quality; it looks like the most common choices are the Slim Line® by Accor or the Neat Cleat by Attwood.

Thanks, E
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
I would recommend pull ups. safer IMO
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
Just curious, how are the pull-ups safer? I actually had the Accon Pop-Ups on my prev. MC and now I have the Factory MC pull-ups (which appear to be OEM from Accon) and both are very high quality. I thought the pop-ups were a bit more 'James Bond' but I didn't notice any safety concerns with them?
Old    oshensurfer            03-16-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
Pretty sure he's saying that pop up are safer. You can't get caught on them, stub a toe, get a finger caught... as easily
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
I have the pop ups on my Sanger but actually ordered pull ups. Going over the wake when driving a double up or rough water can sometimes cause the cleats to pop up by themselves.
Old    qwert1420            03-16-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
What size would you recommend? I think the sizes are 4 1/2", 6", or 8".
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
On a 20' boat my preference is the 4.5 As the boat gets bigger, scale-up. 8" would be way to large on any wakeboat IMO.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
Ops! Yeah, I meant to say Pull-Ups. It looks like the Attwood uses 7/8” studs while the Accon uses (guessing) ¼” studs with a backing plate. Is there any preference for installation?
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-17-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
I installed a stock 4.5" pop up on my MC, and it was terrifying. Drilled 4 holes, and connected the middle 2 w/ a jigsaw. It came out great, but I'm not sure I'd do it again
Old     (deltajake)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2004, 12:49 AM Reply   
I have pop ups and have never had one pop up unwanted. They do have some adjustment to them which makes them sensitive if you do not fix it. I purchased mine from a Supra dealer as they were the cheapest. Maybe because Supra's come standard with pop-ups and he had over stock. Almost half of what others wanted. I agree it was scary cutting the hole for them but the finish product is great looking. My friend has a Sanger and complains that the pull ups clank some times in rough water.
Old    elentz5            03-23-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
OK, I must be stoooopid or something. What is the diff between pull-ups and pop-ups?
Old    ag4ever            03-23-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
I have pop ups on my '02 SANTE, and they have never poped by themselves.

My neibor has pullups, and while they are nice, and do the same thing while they are down, they tend to want to retract while putting a rope on them. My pop ups just stay firm in the up position while fiddling with ropes et al.

The pop ups have a button to press causing them to "pop" into the up position the pull ups, are totally manual.
Old    skimoomba            03-27-2004, 5:06 PM Reply   
I am about to install my Attwood Neat Cleats, but am a little frightened about drilling into my Moomba. Are there any special "DO's" or "DON'Ts" when drilling into a boat. Does the drill bit tend to "break thru" and crack the fiberglass on the back side?
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-27-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
I have installed many items which required drilling the gelcoat and I use a dremel with a small router bit. I put masking tape over the entire area to be drilled and then draw the template on the masking tape. I then just start in the center and go all the way through and I keep 'rounding-out' the whole till it meets my template lines.
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-28-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
when drilling ANY holes drill with even pressure in REVERSE that way the hole saw wont"bite" and kill your gel. Once you are thru the gel then switch to forward. then bevel the hole with some fine sandpaper and viola you are done.

if you dont believe the reverse thing try it out on a card board box! Forward shreds it reverse, smooth.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-28-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
great pointer!! see this site is good for something.. Right on Gary
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-29-2004, 5:39 AM Reply   
If those are like the MC pop ups (accon?) you have the connect the 2 larger diameter holes in the middle with a jig saw. Use plenty of masking tape, and you s/b set. good luck