Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old    handyman            05-10-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
I have an I/O and I have noticed a pretty noticeable vibration when I turn either direction. Any ideas on what it could be?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2004, 5:39 PM Reply   
U-joint. Secondary, an output shaft. Cost to fix $300-500. Cost to ignore, lower unit $2,500. Time to fix U-Joint, about 2-3 hours, depending upon make and model. Unless you have the alignment tool, use a qualified mechanic.
Old    grampawakerider            05-10-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
Could that be caused by starting up w/ outdrive up?
Old     (hoser325)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2004, 6:28 PM Reply   
Robert, karl nailed it right on, the U-jiont. I used to have an I/O Reinell, did the same thing. Eventually got bad enough where the steering would stick to one side. Cost me $360 to get fixed.
Old    rickybarns            05-11-2004, 9:21 PM Reply   
Don't assume its the U-joint. The gimbal bearing supports the drive shaft at the U-joint. Gimbal bearing failure is much more common than u-joint failure and cheaper & easier to fix. Either way Don't Ignore! What year/type I/O is it? Do you keep it at a dock or tow it? Gimbal bearing failure is almost always due to water entering the universal joint bellows. Sometimes a leak in the bellows can let water in and damage the bearing or the u-joint especially if it is in the water for a pro-longed period of time. Inadequate lubrication is the next cause - have you ever greased this bearing? Removal of the outdrive is probably the next step and is usually pretty simple. First step: invest in a shop manual - $60-$80. Repairs like this are usually easier than you might think. Remember: don't just treat the symptoms, cure the problem. If it's a water leak, fix it; if it's lack of lube, grease it.