Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
What is the easiest way to have my ipod play through my boat deck?
My Malibu last year had a plug for it, my new one doesn't. Can you buy those things somewhere?
Old    oliver_klozov            05-05-2004, 11:00 PM Reply   
The answer to all you problems.......well maybe not all but at least this one.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T7194LL/A
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-06-2004, 4:25 AM Reply   
look to see if there is a set of outputs on the back of your head unit. my head unit is in the glove box, so i just ran a long rca cable around the nose of the boat and popped it out under the dash by the driver.
Old    stevenf            05-06-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
grant had posted on here earlier. I think the link was this is the ipod shizz ive been looking for. about a connector that plugs into the changer outlet on the back of your head unit. Like they were saying you either get that adapter or get a headunit that has an auxillary control output. A xmd3 for example has one then plug the monster cable rca adapter for the ipod into those and your ready to go.
Old     (planetnautique)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-06-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
See Grant's comments in the thread below. The thread is about Nautiques, but Grant's comments will apply to all boats.

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1005
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-07-2004, 12:49 AM Reply   
It depends on your deck.I have a 10gb ipod that I use in my Tige 2100. I have it hooked through my Pioneer CD player head unit using a Pioneer IP/BUSS cable (available on ebay or at most dealers) and have the ipod attached to the dash with velcro.The Ip /Bus connection plugs into the back of the deck where the cd changer would go, and the other end terminates in a two RCA out box.I connect my ipod to the box with a mini jack to RCA plug .By switching the head unit to Auxillary, I can adjust volume, change songs etc... by using the ipod controls. I also purchsed a 12 volt adapter for keeping the ipod charged. I have over 2300 songs downloaded with room for another 1200 or so.... and never have to carry CDs again. NO SKIPPING! This is one of the best additions I have made} to my system.
I also have this same setup in my truck and car, so we can take the music in whichever rig we use. Most head unit manufactors will have similar cables available. The quality of doing it this way far exceeds the fm modulator quality.

(Message edited by kirk on May 07, 2004)
Old     (buzzardmountain)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-07-2004, 5:51 AM Reply   
Kirk beat me to it. The quality of the FM transmitter is lacking. The Dension unit it expensive, IMO. If you have an aftermarket head unit all you need is the following:

RCA input adapter
http://www.rcainput.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RCAI&Product_Co de=kenwd_aux_v1&Category_Code=K

Monster Interlink 400 mkII cable
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=135

Monster iCharger
http://store.yahoo.com/wildwestelectronics/aichg2-ip.html

Some good information can be found at www.ipodlounge.com in the forums.
Old    dhorton            05-07-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
Here is what I use while traveling for work.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069298385668&skuId=6211761&type=pr oduct
This allows you to use your iPod anywhere you have an FM receiver. There is also a cheaper version ($30) that only works on FM 88.1 through 88.7.
Old    gunslinger            05-07-2004, 10:36 PM Reply   
I use an "iTrip" FM transmitter in th eboat and car as well. It works great and the software allows the use of virtually any frequency that is unused on the FM dial. Search for "iTrip" on the web and you'll find the info. It's specifically for the iPod and have no complaints at all.
it snaps right on to the top of the iPod and matches the design.

(Message edited by gunslinger on May 07, 2004)
Old    whitechocolate            05-08-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
I dont mean to be rude to all the people that keep telling people to get the FM transmiter, But IMO the FM transmitter is "CRAP". I dont know how the people that are saying its good and works well can say that?? People that are using them I would like to hear your system's. I tryed the Belkin the Griffin and the I-trip and they all give crappy sound. I have heard the same thing from other people as well, about FM transmitters crappy sound. But here it seems to be "FM transmitters and Perko switches" <<<< Inside Joke. IMO the only reasons you would use a FM transmitter is #1 you have no $ #2 your always in a rent a car/boat and cant hook it up the correct way. #3 you have NO other option.

Dont get me wrong its a easy way to transmit a signal with out having to do anything but the downside is poor signal bottom line if its your I-pod and your boat I would send a signal threw RCA's only.
Old    whitechocolate            05-08-2004, 7:14 AM Reply   

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-08-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
I agree, I used the fm transimitter once, then tossed it. If you want fm quality sound why bother with an I-pod.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-08-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Are those Bling Bling gauges Grant?

That is the coolest thing ever!