Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    sikes230            02-10-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
I have been looking for a boat for the past couple of weeks, and found a 98 correct craft air nautique for sale. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the older air nautiques and if they made any significant changes in the boat for 1999. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Brad
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
In the regulair Air Nautique they made no changes in the hull from 1997 till now. In 1999 the Pro Air Nautique was newly developed (also d-drive) special for wakeboarding. The hull was different with a cave (don't know the english term) in the back bottom. The thoughts were that the boat sits deeper in the water and therefor produce a larger wake. The Pro (1999 till 2001 I believe) wasn't a hugh succes and they returned to the "old" hull.
Which Air you choose, you cannot go wrong!!
Old    nooner            02-10-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
I am not 100% sure about this. But I think they changed the bow seating a bit. Maybe its a bit higher on the 99 not sure. But I think I heard that somewhere. I dont think its significant but maybe it will be more comfy for passengers up front. Like I said.. I am not positive about this.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       02-10-2004, 3:28 PM Reply   
There were only small changes from the 98 to 99 Air Nautiques. These changes you probably would not even notice without breaking out the measuring tape. They look identical> inside and out. The one change that can remember is that the back of the boat> might have taller tanks on the 99's> but only taller by about 1/2". I remember installing a stereo in my 98> then having it transferred to a 99> and we had to trim the pieces to get them to fit.
Old    sikes230            02-10-2004, 8:01 PM Reply   
thanks for the responses guys, actually I just realized the boat i was looking at is a sport nautique that the previous owner transformed into the air nautique, installing the pylon and ballast tanks in the back. Do you guys know if they used the same shape of hull for the sport nautique as the air nautique that year, or will i be buying a ski boat with a pylon and ballast? Thanks in advance guys.
Old    dfish            02-10-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Same boat, same hull (TSC 1), different graphics.

2001-until present Sport/Air Nautiques have the (TSC-2) hull.
Old    sikes230            02-10-2004, 8:42 PM Reply   
Thanks dan, I can think a little more seriously about buying this boat now.
Old     (boardinbeast)      Join Date: May 2003       02-11-2004, 8:49 AM Reply   
so the hull design for the air nautiques and sport nautiques for any model before 2001 have the same hull? Does it throw a decent wake? I Find that pretty interesting.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       02-11-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
Dan,
"2001-until present Sport/Air Nautiques have the (TSC-2) hull

I might be mistaken but that's probably incorrect because the 2000 boats - - Sport, Air, Pro Air & Super Air were all identical to their counterparts in 2001. Maybe it should read 2000 until present
Old    dfish            02-11-2004, 9:32 PM Reply   
95-97 Sport/Air Nautique hull is almost identical to a 2003/2004 SAN hull. Some think (and I agree) it was one of the best, if not the best cross over boat ever made. Could pull a skier through a course. Pull out the back seat, add 400 lb ballast and you have the same wake as a SAN with the driving ability of a DD. Nice on private lakes.

1998-1999 Sport/Air: The hull was changed to improve skiability. Skiers say it was a great change--some wakeboarders felt the wake was night quit as good as the 95-97 Sport.--Subjective.

2000-Present Sport/Air changed to the TSC-2 hull. Change was made to reduce spray and improve the ski wake. Skiers liked the wake even better but some wakeboarders felt the wake suffered a little for boarding. Again Subjective.

Sold my 95 Sport to a former pro rider last year--big mistake for an 04 SANTE. I like the direct drives. My tournement ski buddies had no objections to skiing the course at 28 off behind the boat. The wakeboarding wake was enough without ballasts, I could do inverted tricks on the wakeboard or the air chair.

I do not know when CC made the backseat permanent but I do not like that. Our seat was out all summer.

Hopefully this helps--they all have great wakes for boarding or skiing--the former years slightly better for boarding, the latter years slightly better for skiing.

Good luck they are all great boats!

I have been told the Super Sport/Super Air Nautiques never went to the TSC hull they had the "Total Wake Control" hull.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2004, 1:10 AM Reply   
Ken, the Pro-Air has a different hull in '99-'01. After that they changed it back to the "normal" Sport and Air Nautique.
Air Nautique (d-v-drive) = Sport Nautique (d-v-drive) with tower, balast and other decals. This was expecially in the beginning. Nowdays (2002+ the Air is more a hard-core wakeboard boat = more features for wakeboarding)
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       02-12-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
Dan, your not entirely correct.

The 98-99 Sport/Air Nautiques have the same TSC hull as the current 99-up SAN. They changed all the hulls in 98 to the TSC hull, except for the Pro Air which had the TWC hull.

The Sport changed again to the TSC2 hull in 02 or 03.

I demo'd a 2001 SAN with a CC Factory rep and posed that question. His response was my 99 Sport had the same exact hull as the 01 SAN I was testing.
Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-13-2004, 4:55 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 Air and it has the TSC2 hull. I think that's the year it changed.
Old    gotpwr            02-13-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
The Air/Sport didn't go to the TSC2 hull until '03 when the Air/Sport 216 came out.

Here's the history:
'98-'02 Air/Sport = TSC Hull
'03-'04 Air/Sport 216 = TSC2 Hull
'99-'02 Pro Air = TWC Hull

A far as the SAN hull, I always thought it was the same as the '98-'02 Air/Sport TSC hull, just without the spray relief pockets.

(Message edited by gotpwr on February 13, 2004)
Old    dfish            02-13-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
Will someone clear this one up for me, I have been told by numerous dealers and CC that the 03-04 SAN have the same hull (excepting very very minor changes) as the 95-97 Sport/Air.

I thought and have been told that, the 98-02 SAN had the TSC hull. Others on in this forum disagree.