Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    mmascari            02-09-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
I was trailering my boat today daydreaming and had to hit the brakes a bit hard which caused my trailer surge brakes to lock up. Unfortunately now 2 of the tires have a flat spot(no tread) from sliding on the pavement. Do I need to buy new tires; are they dangerous, or should I be OK?
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-09-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
Post a picture or have a tire dealer look at them but sound to me like you should replace them if you tow any distance or at freeway speeds.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2004, 6:58 PM Reply   
If you have carsile tires replace them ASAP, They are just waiting to delaminate on you at the worst possible time.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-09-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Dang, how long were you skidding in order to put a flat spot on the tires. Had to be a heck of a patch.
Old    mmascari            02-10-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
I was thinking about replacing the Carlisle tires anyway. I found some Good Year Marathon on Tire Rack for ~$65 each. What is the difference between B rated and C rated?
Old    6more            02-10-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
Read this article for all the info you need:
http://www.4x4review.com/feature/trailering.asp

Basically the letter refers to the max towing speed the tire is rated for. The max speed for B rated tires is only 31 mph and on the C tire it is 37 mph. Most likely you need to find a tire that is rated at least a G.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-10-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
Yeah drive directly down and unload those Carlisle Tires. They are prone to delamination even when the treads are good. (Happened to me & at least 6 others that I personally know) Can't go wrong with Goodyear Marathons !
Old    mmascari            02-10-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
What size is standard on the MC trailer? Anyone know. I wanted to take a look on the net for tires and don't have the size in front of me.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
My Carlisle delamed after 3 months and less than 1000 miles. When we pulled them of at the tire place I couldn't believe how floppy the side walls were, replaced them with light commercial truck tires, hopefully they will be all good now.