Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    simba            01-31-2004, 7:26 PM Reply   
I will be buying a new boat soon and these are some of the conclusions I've come up with. People correct me if I'm wrong on any or add to any of it.

Correct craft, just too small for my faimly needs puts it right out of the picture.

Master craft, X2-X-30 I'd consider but the X-2 tower is UGLY and I dont like how they have the worst warranty in the industry when they have the highest prices in the industry. X-star is by far my favorite boat, but wont pay that much money for a new boat.

Malibu, love the size, love the look, love everything about it so far. Love that illusion tower. My problem here is dealer is located FAR from me.

Tige 22v or 24v, love the size, love taps (I have kids I like to tone down the wake when its there turn) Love the high gunnel wells sine I have kids and ride in a river with 40' yahts coming by full speed. Love just about everything about this boat as well including the warranty.

Some things I think you guys put too much stress on and thats wakes. With any of these boats you get a great wake. There is not a move you CANT pull due to wake on any of these boats. I currently have a 22' center counsole and I have guys throwing S-bends off the back with no problems. I sometimes feel people think wakes will make people "better" or something. For instance, everyone things CC super air has the best wake and thats there opinion but there is not a move you can not do off the malibu that you can do off the CC due to wake.

ANyway, anyone care to add to any of this?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-31-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Ron-
Sounds like you have done your research. (Kinda, I'll explain) I agree with you on the warranty on MC's. Have you considered Skiers Choice? Moomba has just come out with a new wakeboard boat. It's called the XLV, which stands for Extra Large V-Drive. It's bigger than any other wakeboard boat on the market. It has the built in ballast, wakeplate (Same as taps) and tons of room and storage. When I mean tons of storage I mean you can sleep in three of it's compartments comfortably. It's an incredible boat for the money. The price I think will amaze you compared to anything else on the market that isn't even as big. Check out www.Moomba.com to see it. The pics don't do the size justice. It's huge! Good luck in your search and I hope you find the boat that will make you and your family happy and comfortable.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-31-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
How many kids do you have? Any for the boats you've mentioned are plenty big enough for a host of folks.

You are probably right about "feeling good". Go for a demo and get your family out on the lake my friend. That's where memories are made and that is what it is all about. If you like the Tige, then go for it. I almost got one but found a used SAN and it has been just what the doctor ordered. Go used if you can and you'll save a bundle.

The kids surely don't give a rip about the wake. Mine love to jump off the back and have picnics the best.

Whatever boat you get don't get one you have to fill full of fat sacks. Either be happy with the wake as is, or get autoballast tanks. Mom and the kids don't want Dad messing with filling fat sacks and fussing with all that. IMO. Makes for a much nicer day at the lake.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-31-2004, 9:08 PM Reply   
Ron, Just to reinforce your comment on the Mastercraft pricing, today we were at the L.A. boat show and looked at the new X-star among others and that $65,000 retail base price is nuts! The X-2 tower does not bother me but the boats size is right in there with the SAN and as you said Too small for the family. We are malibu owners and the VLX fits our needs well. If I were buying a new boat today it would be another VLX. One consideration with the illusion tower you like on the Malibu is when docked you have to climb out over the sun deck to get in and out, No thanks for me. go Titan.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-31-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
I have a SAN, and interior space/storage has never been an issue. When pulling the beginners, I empty the ballast, takes only a few minutes, works great. As far as the larger boats go (22'+ lengeth/100"+ beam), they seem to require more weight to make the wake (clean), and subsequently down-pitched prop to pull the load. Just my $.02
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
I have looked at so many boats over the four years. I have just ordered a new 2004 Supreme.

The interesting thing about looking at boats is the following...

I asked all the dealers that dont carry the big names... CC, BU, Tige, Supra, & MC... if money was no object.. which boat would you choose (including the line they carry)... 100% of them said Correct Craft. Simply reputation, performance, and it is proven!!!

I called many people before buying my boat... and I spoke with editors from Wakeboard mag and Water Ski mag... they are very fond of the Tige 24V... just make sure you get the bigger motor...

But knowing you are not simply looking for the best "wake", but also looking to take family and want a safe dry ride...

I think you would be very suprised with the Sky Supreme V230. It comes with built in ballast, adjustable Bennett Trim Tab...

I have to mention.... IT IS SUPER DEEP. YOU WILL FEEL SAFE SAFE SAFE!!!

If it was a consideration... I would go to the model without the walk-thru transom... I just think they always look strange, having one side different than the other...

But to give you an idea on price...

2004 V230 - 330hp, shower, heater, stereo, tower, integrated board racks, power rear hatch, Faria Pilot 1, Perfect Pass, adjustable Bennett Trim Tab, Full solid color gel, removeable tongue, tandem with brakes on both axles, cocktail table, bolster drivers seat, bow filler cushion, covers, and more... PRICE $44,000.

As for any other boat....

I think all boats are great... No matter what you get... as long as it is the right boat for you....

That is what the BEST boat is!!!
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-31-2004, 9:56 PM Reply   
Just asking but how does MC have the worst warranty in the industry. 3 Years on the entire boat is pretty normal except CC which is 5 years I beleive the Mercruiser powered boats only get 1 year on the engine. Please explain.
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-01-2004, 1:15 AM Reply   
All I heard is I loved the malibu. You complained about the other boats.If the dealer for your malibu is worth the drive than get the boat.

Old    dholio            02-01-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
One MC dealer told me that they had a limited lifetime hull warranty with 3 years on the motor and anything that was "glued or screwed" to the boat had a one year warranty. Has anyone else heard this?
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-01-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
wow you think the zero flex is ugly and the illusion is hot???!!! I guess everyones different....
Old    simba            02-01-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
MC has 1 year on everything except the motor and hull. Everyone has 3 years on motor, and just about everyoen has lifetime hull.

IT the other things that are alot better on the other warrantys like carpet, gauges and all that other stuff.
Old    dholio            02-01-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
CC is 5 years on the engine. first three years are covered by PCM and the next two are covered by CC
Watch out for Malibu on their colored hull policy too!
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-01-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
I disagree I am looking at my X-star warranty and here is what is covered
1. Deck Hull Liner and stringers are lifetime covered for as long as the original owner owns the boat.
2.Engine transmission covered for 3 years.
3.Other Components covered for 1 year.
4.Trailer and other trailer component parts 1 year.
5.The warranty is transferrable.

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-01-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
I love my Tige as well. Being close to your dealer is important. My dealer is located 110 miles away and I've wished he were closer several times. I only have one local dealer (small town) and felt better about the service as well as the boat even though its further away. Every boat has issues on occasion and dealer support is huge.

That being said, I would still buy the Tige because my local option didn't thrill me as much, nor did the service seem as sharp.

I am very pleased with the unballasted wake on my 21V, and my family would get irritated if I started messing with fat sacs. My kids think the best part of boating is when we stop - jump off, climb in, jump off, climb in, jump off...
Old    dholio            02-01-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
John,
Your post says exactly what we were saying with the addition of the trailer and the transferable warranty.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-01-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
DJL, doesn't everyone have a policy that changes the warranty with full color hulls? I know it is not just Malibu.
Old    dholio            02-01-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
Correct Craft is still five years against blistering but one year on fading for obvious reasons (rubbing hoist bunks or trailer bunks or beaching the boat) I have no clue what the other companies are like. MC gives no warranty info on their site and I haven't looked at anyone else
Old    k2rider            02-01-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
I have a VLX and we're very happy with it. Getting service from the dealer is pricey and a lil far for me as well...about 90 miles.

The Tige dealer here has an excellent reputation I wouldn't hesitate to get a Tige.

If I was going to buy a new boat today, I think the 1st boat I'd check out is the Supra Gravity Games Edition. It looks sharp and has the "wake-plate" to modify the wake like the TAPS on Tige.
Old    simba            02-01-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
thats what I dont get why cant MC warranty the carpet, seats, gauges and all that stuff for 3+ years like all the other people?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-01-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
They can, but they don't have to, because people buy their boats! Just like Tige, do you think they love giving the Life+10??? I doubt it, but they were getting such a bad rap, deserved or not, on the internet, etc. that they had to offer the warranty.

DJL, I think MC has the same warranty issues as Malibu. Blistering should not be a problem unless the boat is left in the water. Centurion has exceptions like Malibu, at least they did in '03.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-01-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
look at the mb, the 2-speed tranny is great, saves 30% of fuel compared to the other boats because of the 2-speed.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-01-2004, 4:43 PM Reply   
I bought an 03 vlx, and will be buying an 05 this fall. Money is not an object, I could buy the cc just dont see the additional value of the cc.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-01-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
Why should a boat blister if it's left in the water? Boats are made to be left in the water. Are wakeboard boats made different than other boats?
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-01-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
This is a very good discussion. As far as carpet and vinyl my boat shows no signs of wear so not to worried about it. Seems like carpet and vinyl could be hard to warranty due to personel use habits.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-01-2004, 6:19 PM Reply   
It's not that they will blister, it's just they are more likely to blister if you leave the boat in the water for a long period of time. This is why larger boats often have bottom paint to coat the hull I think. I really wouldn't say wakeboard boats are 'made to be left in the water.'
Old    dholio            02-01-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
The vinyl applies more to stitching giving out in key areas. There aren't too many things that could go wrong with carpet other than it maybe coming unglued.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-01-2004, 7:59 PM Reply   
Yeah, although my last boat was in great condition, I did notice the upholstry pulling apart at the seams (stitching). I took it to my local Malibu dealer, they took digital pics, and sent it to Malibu. Malibu's response: 5 years on the upholstry, 1 year on the stitching. Warranty denied. I was pretty upset, felt misled by the warranty. The stitching was still intact, it was pulling through the vinyl. My complaints fell on deaf ears.

Bottom line - I could probably own a new VLX right now, but I bought a new SAN, and this was one of the reasons why.
Old    dholio            02-01-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
Seen that same thing happen before Jeff
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       02-01-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
Regarding the MC warranty you can upgrade your warranty, pretty much doubles everything. So 6 yrs on the drive train, and 3 yrs for the other components. Adds an extra $1500 to the total though.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-01-2004, 10:18 PM Reply   
Go with the MC, the extra money spent will be worth it in the long run.
Old    blr            02-01-2004, 11:27 PM Reply   
i've riden behind a lot of wakeboard specific boats. all of the top 4 for sure. they are all good, but certain ones "fit" each of us better. do a equal weigth comparison: boat and dealer. go with who has the overall highest score. your dealer will be a huge part of being happy or not with your new boat.
Old    dholio            02-02-2004, 1:55 AM Reply   
shawn,
why should you have to pay to upgrade to a "normal" warranty? You are already paying enough!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
I think any company that you pay top dollar for should have comparable warranties. My new 2004 Supreme which is half the cost of the Big 4, has lifetime hull warranty, 5 yr on upholstery, 3yr on carpet, lifetime on gauges, 3 year full service contract on powertrain. All for less than $40,000...

So if I wer eint he market for the Big 4... I ould want at least that much warranty on something I am going to pay over $50,000 for.
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-02-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
I paid under 40 for my 2002 x-star brand new and well equipped so I don't know where you get you comment half the price.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
I am just commenting on most of the new FULLY loaded boats with upgraded motor and all the bells and whistles are over $50-$55,000...

If you can get me a 2004 X-Star for under $40,000... I will take all of the factory orders I can get my hands on.

Let me know.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
I don't understand the Zero flex tower comment. I think MC makes the best looking tower out there.
Old    simba            02-02-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
The tower for the X-2 is just too straight up and down for me with no style. Again, thats only my opinion. I Like more sleek towers with curves.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-02-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
MasterCraft has the worst warrenty? How come my buddy has had EVERY SINGLE thing on his boat taken care of with absolutly no objection from MC? Just this morning we dropped it off to get a heater installed and also see if they would fix some gelcoat cracks....THEY DIDNT EVEN ASK HOW THE CRACKS GOT THERE! Anything and everything that he has had done has been taken care of very professionally and efficently. Just my observations.
Old    simba            02-02-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
Not saying MC isnt professional. How old is your buddys boat? If its under 1 year, hes getting the service he paid for.

They didnt ask him how the stress cracks got there? is that a joke? He should be asking THEM how they got there and they better fix them for free.

I'm not saying MC has bad service, I just said they have the worst warranty on paper of all ski boats made.
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-02-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
Ron,
You keep making the statement that MC has the worst warranty in the industry do you have all the warranty information for every manufacturer in the industry? Just wondering I would be interested to see it.
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
Why do they put a warranty on a boat??? Hmmmmm verry interesting....The reason why they have a "Warranty" on the boat is because they know all they sold you is a "Warranteed" piece of I can take a crap in a box and slap a "Warranty" on it for you, if that's what you want, I got spare time... What if the "Warranty" fairy is a crazy glue sniffer? Building model airplanes he says well I'm not buying it. Let him in the house once is all it takes, next thing you know, your daughter is knocked up and there is change missing from your dresser. I have seen it happen a million times... for your sake and for your daugters sake you might want to try buying a Quality product from MASTERCRAFT... Tommy Boy said it best...

(Message edited by squirt32 on February 02, 2004)
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
How did this become a discussion about fairies and people sniffing crazy glue???? Sorry your daughter got pregnant.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
MC has a lot of problems that need a warranty too. Every boat has it's problems, don't get me wrong, I'm a MC fan and they build awesome boats, but MC owners use their warranty as much as many others.
Old    g3revenge            02-02-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
pretty good vic. i just blew spagetti out my nose.

are the warranty fairies related to the winterizing fairies?
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
DJL : What’s a "normal" warranty? Also what MC is doing isn’t any different than what CC has done. CC just sticks you with the high price first they don’t give you an option; the price of the warranty is built into the price already. One of the reason the SAN is the most expensive out the 21 footers.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
Boat companies should just build boats and make parts available. Sell the boats for about $25,000... you buy it.. and cross your fingers nothing goes wrong.. if something does.. you buy the parts and fix it yourself...

I think we would all be better off...

I know there is a lot of bashing that goes on of the big name and no name boats... but really... if you try really hard you will find good and bad in everyhing...

So everyone should just drop the boats to half price and NO WARRANTY!

They would sell more boats! And it would be black and white.. no grey area... so no argument...
Old    simba            02-02-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
John, yes I do, all the warrantys are posted in skiers mag this month because they do a review on just about every ski boat they make.

Vic, your a moron, nuff said.

Shawn, ok thats CCs excuse, but what about malibu and tige and skiers choice? THey are priced the same or less than MC yet have 3 times the warranty on some parts of the boat.

Again, I'm not bashing MC but if they are SOOOOOO good (which I think they are) then back it up with a good warranty. You know what they say, put up or shut up.
Old    dholio            02-02-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
3 years is normal to me. And where are you getting this "CC has the price of the warranty built into the price of the boat crap?"
Did you see a large price jump between 2001 and 2002 (before and after the 5 year warranty started)? I didn't.
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-02-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
Ron,
Can you scan them and post I would be interested to see.
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
Well for one Tige and Skiers Choice has to have some of if not the best warranties just to get people into the show rooms. For many years they have been considered the worst of the bunch.

Now Malibu is doing it just cause they can, they have arguably one of the best lines in the competition ski boat industry. So why not make it better and give it a great warranty?

But you must have missed my comment above, MC does have a great warranty, you just have to pay extra for it. This is what prompted my last post.

Anything else you would like me to shoot down?
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
DJL then you must not have looked very hard. And I guess it is crap if thats all the CC dealers spew, cause I have heard that from more than one.
Old    simba            02-02-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
"for many years they were considered the worst of the bunch"

Ok but they arnt anymore and why would I pay extra for the warranty, if they have faith in their product, put a warranty on it.

Again, I like MC, I just cant believe they arnt up to standards with all the other boats warrantys.

Stop being a MC homer and just realize there warranty is subpar to the rest.
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
then stop whining and dont get the boat if you so scared it gonna fall apart, callin me a moron??? u should get a clu old man and see the movie before you go all harcore hater on me.. some ppl just dont get it.

(Message edited by squirt32 on February 02, 2004)
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
Not being an MC "homer", just laying out the facts.

As to the topic of this thread, it seems as if you already had your mind set on a particular boat. So was there really any point to you making this thread? Not trying to be a jerk here but it just seems as if you wanted to start a somewhat heated debate.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
I would say a lot of the moron reference would come from your posts. How many mistakes can you fit into one post!
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 7:31 PM Reply   
whos checkin for grammer here... If you are then why are you reading up on some wakeboard site go study an engish book and see how many times you can find and error, looks like i found you another hobby... just remember i didnt start nothin, if yea dont get the post dont worry its way over your head anyway just tryin to have a little fun.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
Yeah, you're way over my head. The only problem I have with grammar is when it gets to the point it is hard to read, and dude, you are there.
Old    dholio            02-02-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Looks like Vic got called out on Wakeboarder.com
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
Yea go check it im not followin DJL on that called out part i think i just put that old man jack in the doghouse... who wants in
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-02-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
A KIA has a 10 year warranty and I wouldn't drive one if you paid me. If the quality isn't there Your warranteed product will still be in the shop.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
John, definately agree on the Kia comment, this goes with a lot of car manufacturers. The warranty doesn't really matter when it's 90, no wind, and your boats in the shop.

Vic, I'm still trying to figure out why you think everyone is an 'old man'.
Old    dholio            02-02-2004, 8:43 PM Reply   
I don't think you put Jack in the doghouse buddy. You have been around too much of that fairy dust.
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 8:55 PM Reply   
Nick, I'm still trying to figure out why you waterski... did i spell that right???
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
Actually, no, it is water ski. I also ride, and probably better than you, so what is the big deal. Ever tried ski jumping big boy? Don't even try to go after my water skiing. You are some fun entertainment between studying, but I'm starting to feel sorry for the innocent lurkers that have to read this.
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
Well while youv been studyin i found a DAmmmmn good pic of your mom, i gotta tell you man if i sent it back to my freinds at college shed be B oner of the month!!!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2004, 9:07 PM Reply   
Classic.

Like you know anyone in college!

Oh, and I'm done now. Give it your best shot!

(Message edited by kstateskier on February 02, 2004)
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-02-2004, 9:39 PM Reply   
This is what you get with a thread that starts "All these boats suck except this one, anyone agree or disagree?" Although this thread does seem empty without a few clamshell and wedge comments thrown in.
Old    ridenourdm            02-02-2004, 9:53 PM Reply   
Ohhhhh, you guys cant stop now, this is better than TV, I have already pissed myself twice laughin...
Old    simba            02-03-2004, 4:58 AM Reply   
I'm not saying MC sucks, infact I Like all the boats except CC only due to its size. MC as I have stated makes a fine boat but I'm not going to sugar coat the warranty issue.

Vic, I cant believe you are stooping to "your momma" jokes, grow up man.

Thanks for everyone that contributed to this thread and put out good info and opinions. I didnt intend for it to turn into a flame fest or a your momma thread.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-03-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Oh , and Ron thinks he can get the first and last word in!!!!!! Just kidding. Good luck with your decision......P.S.} Any warranty issues with your center console?

(Message edited by supra on February 03, 2004)
Old    simba            02-06-2004, 4:57 AM Reply   
Kevin, yes I have had several warranty issues with my boat and its barley a year old, gauges have went bad, stress cracks, gel coat bubbles, valves that broke off and other misc things.

I'm still goign to shop the MC but I'll be throwing the warranty issue in there face to get me a better price hehe.

Btw, I Just added moomba XLV too my list that looks like a lot of boat for the money although the interior looks blocky from the pics, im still going to look at it.