Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old    murphy8166            09-18-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
I have three Optima D34m batteries solely for my stereo. Each battery has a reserve capacity of 120 and 55 amps hours. So the total of three batteries is 360 RC and 165 amp hours.

I am looking at 2 Kinetic HC 2000's. Each has 102 amp hours so combined they have 204 amp hours.

I am looking at this corretly...the two kinetik's would allow to play longer than my 3 optimas...all other conditions the same?
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-18-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
You are looking at it correctly. I have 2 summers on 4 Kinetik 2400s and love them.
You could go with 1 2400 at 128 ahs and be close enough to where you were with the 3 optimas.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
You are looking at it correctly. I am not sure what the charging characteristics of the kinetiks are but you want to make sure your charger and alternator match the the voltage that the batteries would like to see. If they don't you can seriously shorten the life of the batteries.

Have you decided against Deka completely?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
Also, we were just informed from Deka that there is going to be a fairly significant price increase soon. The price of lead has gone up quite a bit in the last month or so. I would guess all battery manufacturer's are going to raise prices so you might want to figure it out soon so you can get the good prices.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-18-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Brett. I have not ruled out the Deka's but just looking at other options too. Hard to beat the price of the Deka's with my dealer with in Dallas.

If I do get new batt's I will seek a choice that increases my amp hrs.
Old     (p_dub_ya)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-18-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
I havent had any bad luck with my Optimas, and I have one in my truck thats lasted 10 years already and still starts up my Suburban
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Billy, the difference is most people don't use their car battery as a deep cycle battery. In most cars they are getting charged by the alternator whenever there is a load on them. Optima's are not true deep cycle batteries and when you put them in a deep cycle application they won't have that life. They are also way overpriced.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-19-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Murph,

PM sent.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-19-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
While this doesn't exactly pertain to Murphy's OP, I think its an important generalization for anyone contemplating batteries in the context of a complete charging system.

Optimas may appear overpriced if you're judging them by their conservative amp/hour ratings. But, they offer many other attributes over a normal flooded battery that justify the added expense. Optimas is just one of many brands that are challenged by the same issues.

Whether Optima, Deka, Odyssey, Kinetik, etc., they're all good batteries provided they're properly maintained, which is usually the major cause of disappointing performance. Here are several of the problems we frequently see that will eventually cripple the best batteries:

* Solely dependent on the alternator for restoration without an AC shore charger.
* Using small battery tenders that adequate to maintain starting batteries during long term storage but inadequate for depleted deep cycle batteries.
* Charging stereo batteries a day before the next outing versus charging them immediately after the last outing.
* The larger the stereo system the more issues domino into other aspects of the charging system. The scheme that works for a 1000 watt system isn't adequate for a 2000 watt system and so on. Too few take a comprehensive approach to charging and alternator preservation in the large systems and inevitably blame it on their overpriced batteries.

I know Murphy is already aware of all the above but I hope this will help others who once they've established what their basic amp/hour needs are, they address the necessary steps to ensure long play time at rest and extended battery lifespan.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-21-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
or do 4 six volts for even more amp hrs than the kinetics for a fraction of the price.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-21-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
I am guessing he likes the idea of an AGM battery because of the lack of maintainance and that you can't spill them.

David, the price of the Optima's is still incredibly overpriced when you compare to an AGM Deka that uses very similar technology. You can probably get a group 27 or 31 Deka AGM for about the same or less than the group 34 Optima. A group 34 Optima battery has about half the reserve capacity of the group 31 Deka AGM.

(Message edited by polarbill on September 21, 2009)
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-21-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
Since I work for an amplifier manufacturer, I would second David's approach to figuring out the whole picture versus tossing in any brand xyz battery into your boat. I should be upfront in saying that my company is sponsored by Kinetik - but the primary reason for that is because we felt their product is truly worthy of high end performance.

A lot of people don't realize how much a stiff voltage and battery (reserve) capacity effect the overall stereo performance.... or destroy / degrade it for that matter.

Ever hear a boat next to you with that deep bass that just seems to ring out forever? Thats because he has some serious muscle behind his system --- AKA reserve battery capacity. And that's why the system can "sustain" huge rushes of current draw.

Remember, your whole system is as good as its weakest link. Batteries play a role here.

And as for Muphy's Q: I'd take a look at what what your system really requires before picking a battery. If you go with kinetik, the 1800's might suffice and save you a buck or two.

Sorry to go on and on, but this is an important topic for everyone

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old    murphy8166            09-21-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
To clear things up.

I am running 3 arc audio amps (KS 500.1, KS 300.2 & KS 300.4) With my 3 optimas dedicated to the stereo I can play for about 6 hard hours w/o having to start the boat. The 165 amp hours is the number I need to be at or exceed in order to not take a step backwards.

I also hook the batteries up to a Dual Pro charger immediatly after use and they stay on the charger till the next use.

I am not interested in golf car batteries or the maintenance that goes along with them. I have had no problems with Optima and can not bash them. I can say that there are other batteries that give the same/better performance like Deka AGM's when compared to Optima.

I'm sure kinetik makes a great battery, but the price is also pretty steep.

Leaning towards the Deka AGM's
Old    murphy8166            09-21-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
I think I am going to get 2 of the DEKA 8A31DTM AGM Marine Batteries.

With 2 of the DEKA's I would get 400 reserve capacity and 210 amp hours. My DEKA dealer is quoting me $160 each and that includes the recent price increase. This includes a 36 month pro rated warranty.

I think this would be an upgrade over my 3 optimas that are putting out 360 reserve capacity and 165 amps hours combined.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
The maintenance is laughable on golf cart batteries. I take it you've never used them before? checking water levels e very few months is beyond easy. You're obviosuly looking for quality/cost/amp hour in a deep cycle battery...it's impossible to beat golf cart batteries
Old    murphy8166            09-21-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for your input.

(Message edited by Murphy8166 on September 21, 2009)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-21-2009, 3:34 PM Reply   
Sam,

What is the total amp/hour capacity of your stereo batteries (excluding the starting reserve battery) and what type and capacity charger do you use on your golf cart batteries?

BTW, it may be confusing that Optima uses a 34 designation on their smallest battery that is roughly equivalent in size to a Group 24, yet their larger batteries conform to the typical group 27 and 31 designations. Anyone know why they do this?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Grant West has had positive things to say about Deka and their West Marine branded products.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-21-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
David, the group size a standard across all batteries for the most part. Deka makes a group 34 and it is the same size as the Optima 34. I believe Optima has a 31 and that is the same size as the Deka 31. They do this because they have to be sure the correct group size fits in certain applications. There are group 78 batteries that are smaller than all of them.

Grant does use the West Marine AGM's which are just rebranded Deka's. The West Marine group 31 AGM is the exact same battery. West Marine may offer a little better warranty but are generally going to be more expensive than the Deka's.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
West Marine $260

Battery in Dallas $160

Does the battery at West Marine come with some lube???
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-22-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
David, the reserve is conservatively rated at 225 amp hours for the pair. I use a specialty (made for golf car batteries in series) trickle/automatic charger simlar to battery tenders. but the charge is at 14 amps, instead of 1.5 or 3. For overnite charging , if needed, I have a larger 50 amp charger, but I have to watch it.
Old    murphy8166            09-22-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
How many batteries are we talking about Sam???

2 or 4
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-22-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
2....my system is not what I would consider huge. roughly 2200 RMS, 3 alpine pdx amps and one mmatts amp. All very effecient. The batteries handle my sysem very well.

Over the last 6/7 years I've found this to be the best cost efective setup...6v battereis, high effecient amps. Alt upgrades ( good ones) are very expensive.
Old    murphy8166            09-22-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
What batteries?